Author Topic: Ruminating on anti-gun states and scout rifles  (Read 799 times)

dogmush

• friend
Ruminating on anti-gun states and scout rifles
« on: March 02, 2024, 10:17:43 AM »
I've mentioned on here my overlanding hobby in the past, but I go on several long camping trips a year to get out of cities and into nature.  I almost always have a firearm in the truck with me on these trips because 1. people suck, and 2. there are in fact aggressive animals in the woods. Since I'm based in FL, I stay in the eastern US, and most of the time I just throw an AR in the truck's rifle rack, and bring whatever carry pistol I'm favoring at the time, and some extra mags.  I'm not trying to rig for a war, just be safe at interstates and in the middle of nowhere. No biggie.

But, a couple of my trips have, and some I have planned take me to states where that is not doable.  New York, New Jersey, and Maryland being the most "go *expletive deleted*ck yourself" states, with Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Delaware close behind.  None of them accept my permit to CCW, some of them don't even allow possession of a pistol, AR's are almost universally a no-go (at least mine are) So just in general not friendly or easy to navigate with the firearms I tend to have with me.  In the past I've just crossed my fingers and left everything at home, and we're all still here so I survived (Although my dog did try to pick a fight with a moose in Maine that was concerning).  But Hope is not a plan, and I'd like at least some way to have a weapon in the woods without risking multiple decades in prison from the state gestapo.

This semi narrow use case has led me to consider the famed "scout rifle" concept.  Which is a reasonably handy and versatile firearm, and in my use case the "bolt action rifle without pistol grip" part neatly sidesteps almost all regulations that are hampering me.  It seems as if I can even have the dreaded threaded barrel on a bolt action, and as long as I don't have any normal mags *with me* even the detachable mags seem OK.  So Cool.

Due respect to Col. Cooper, I'm not a purist, and don't love the forward scope concept.  I think it was a great idea in the '80s to facilitate two eyes open shooting and maintain situational awareness, but it's 45 years later and good LPVO's are a thing.  Other than that, I think the concept is still pretty relevant, especially if you are, like I am, playing chicken with a A LOT of different laws and jurisdictions.

Which brings me to my request of the hive mind:

I'm looking for a .308 caliber, left-handed bolt action rifle that accepts detachable mags, has a solid scope mounting option over the receiver for an LPVO, 16"-18" threaded barrel (I'm going to hang a can on it at home), that is reasonably light and handy and costs like $600-$850 or so.  Using AR-10 pattern mags instead of something proprietary is a huge plus.

Something kinda like this:

So what does the hive-mind have for suggestions of a starting rifle?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ruminating on anti-gun states and scout rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:29 AM »
I'm not sure about newer rifles, but I will throw an old one out there if you can find it: The Remington 788. I have it in .308 in an 18" barrel, and it is the proverbial Scout rifle (I didn't get the lefty, but they are out there). Lots of people look for these just for the action to use on other builds.

Otherwise, are you set on a Scout concept? For your use, if it were me, I might gravitate to a lever gun. Something like an 1894 in .44mag or .45LC. I have both of those too, and they are super lightweight and handy. I have only taken a 10rnd pistol in a stupid lockbox when I have made return trips to CA, but were I to choose any of my current rifles to take there for self-defense and the least worry about legal troubles, it would be one of the lever guns.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 11:13:26 AM »
I'm looking for a .308 caliber, left-handed bolt action rifle that accepts detachable mags, has a solid scope mounting option over the receiver for an LPVO, 16"-18" threaded barrel (I'm going to hang a can on it at home), that is reasonably light and handy and costs like $600-$850 or so.  Using AR-10 pattern mags instead of something proprietary is a huge plus.

That looks like a Mossberg MVP but I can't find any mention of a left hand model on their website.
There are a few others out there that may also take AR-10 mags but finding them left hand is tough

I too am left handed but I shoot right handed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:38:04 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 11:20:56 AM »
Agree with Ben on the lever gun suggestion. Trapper-length in .44 mag would be a super travel combo. Rossi makes a Model 92 Trapper clone in stainless which streets for under $750. No direct experience with it so questions about reliability/durability.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/rossi-r92-stainless-lever-action-rifle-44-magnum-16in/p/1477937

Looking at Ruger's web site and discovered they have a southpaw-specific product page. Presume you've already seen it, but for benefit of others...
https://ruger.com/search/lefthanded/rifle

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 11:23:24 AM »
Seconded on the lever gun.

A lot of the states you're going through and talking about, you technically cannot even have it loaded, or even unlocked.  A lot of them require it to be in a locked container, separate from ammunition.  I grok your desire for a magazine so you can go from 0 to X rounds instantly rather than loading one at a time...

I remember wanting a Ruger Scout when those came out. Those come with a long eye relief mount but it's no big deal to reconfigure it for a conventional eye relief scope.  Left handed, 10rd detachable magazine, 18.7" barrel length already threaded.  I've not put my hands on one yet though.

Personally, I wouldn't want a scope on a self defense overlander rifle that is going to be packed away unloaded most of the time.  I'd rather have irons, hence my intrigue with the Ruger Scout.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 11:27:17 AM »
I'm not sure about newer rifles, but I will throw an old one out there if you can find it: The Remington 788. I have it in .308 in an 18" barrel, and it is the proverbial Scout rifle (I didn't get the lefty, but they are out there). Lots of people look for these just for the action to use on other builds.

Otherwise, are you set on a Scout concept? For your use, if it were me, I might gravitate to a lever gun. Something like an 1894 in .44mag or .45LC. I have both of those too, and they are super lightweight and handy. I have only taken a 10rnd pistol in a stupid lockbox when I have made return trips to CA, but were I to choose any of my current rifles to take there for self-defense and the least worry about legal troubles, it would be one of the lever guns.

Reasonably set, although I'm open to thinking.  I have a Lever gun, and in a caliber big enough for large animals, capacity is limited, and recoil (at least in my .444) is brutal, back off caliber enough to get decent capacity, and you back out of the "can handle decently large, aggressive animals"  Lever guns also lock you out of a lot of really nice pointy projectiles, and without a fair bit of work to train are a cumbersome bitch to reload. A guide gun in .45-70 Is powerful, light, and handy but has what? 4 rounds on board? That's why I was looking at rifle caliber, DBM, Bolt guns.  The vast array of available loadings in .30hate is what has me thinking that's my go-to.

I guess if the Bond Arms levergun ever shows up that might be in the running.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 11:29:41 AM »
To follow up on Brad and AZ since we cross posted, I don't think a pistol cal lever gun is enough for bear (even the cute east coast black bear) or moose, both of which I've seen pretty close up on these trips.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:32:34 AM »
Seconded on the lever gun.

A lot of the states you're going through and talking about, you technically cannot even have it loaded, or even unlocked.  A lot of them require it to be in a locked container, separate from ammunition.  I grok your desire for a magazine so you can go from 0 to X rounds instantly rather than loading one at a time...

The gun rack in the truck locks, So I can lock it in the rack, and drop a the mag and be gestapo legal, but get gun, load mag, run bolt, go to work is reasonably quick.  For animals, when I camp at night I can unlock rack and insert mag and be ready to go *very* fast, then just reverse that for driving the next day.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 11:33:50 AM »
Reasonably set, although I'm open to thinking.  I have a Lever gun, and in a caliber big enough for large animals, capacity is limited, and recoil (at least in my .444) is brutal, back off caliber enough to get decent capacity, and you back out of the "can handle decently large, aggressive animals".

Big Horn Armory Model 89 in 500 Smith. A mere $3500 so might as well get two.
https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-89-carbine-18-500-sw/

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 11:36:54 AM »
To follow up on Brad and AZ since we cross posted, I don't think a pistol cal lever gun is enough for bear (even the cute east coast black bear) or moose, both of which I've seen pretty close up on these trips.

Buffalo Bore has some Super Extra Nasty .44 Mag offerings. Whould that be enough to tip the scales?

Also, didn't Rossi make a Model 92 in .454 Casull for a while?

Brad
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 11:37:12 AM »
I've mentioned on here my overlanding hobby in the past, but I go on several long camping trips a year to get out of cities and into nature.  I almost always have a firearm in the truck with me on these trips because 1. people suck, and 2. there are in fact aggressive animals in the woods. Since I'm based in FL, I stay in the eastern US, and most of the time I just throw an AR in the truck's rifle rack, and bring whatever carry pistol I'm favoring at the time, and some extra mags.  I'm not trying to rig for a war, just be safe at interstates and in the middle of nowhere. No biggie.

But, a couple of my trips have, and some I have planned take me to states where that is not doable.  New York, New Jersey, and Maryland being the most "go *expletive deleted*ck yourself" states, with Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Delaware close behind.  None of them accept my permit to CCW, some of them don't even allow possession of a pistol, AR's are almost universally a no-go (at least mine are) So just in general not friendly or easy to navigate with the firearms I tend to have with me.  In the past I've just crossed my fingers and left everything at home, and we're all still here so I survived (Although my dog did try to pick a fight with a moose in Maine that was concerning).  But Hope is not a plan, and I'd like at least some way to have a weapon in the woods without risking multiple decades in prison from the state gestapo.

This semi narrow use case has led me to consider the famed "scout rifle" concept.  Which is a reasonably handy and versatile firearm, and in my use case the "bolt action rifle without pistol grip" part neatly sidesteps almost all regulations that are hampering me.  It seems as if I can even have the dreaded threaded barrel on a bolt action, and as long as I don't have any normal mags *with me* even the detachable mags seem OK.  So Cool.

Due respect to Col. Cooper, I'm not a purist, and don't love the forward scope concept.  I think it was a great idea in the '80s to facilitate two eyes open shooting and maintain situational awareness, but it's 45 years later and good LPVO's are a thing.  Other than that, I think the concept is still pretty relevant, especially if you are, like I am, playing chicken with a A LOT of different laws and jurisdictions.

Which brings me to my request of the hive mind:

Slight thread veer -- Ill-i-noise has "done gone stupid" in regard to modern rifles.  I've been contemplating getting a lever action .357 (or, I guess, .44.  Got plenty of brass for it) as an "Illinois friendly" PCC solution, because who knows how long it will take SCOTUS to do the right thing.  Given my budget, almost certainly a Rossi.

---edit to add---

Wow, ton of replies to the thread, since I started composing this reply.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 11:47:25 AM »

To each their own, but I'm using a 10mm as my fishing pistol in predator-rich Idaho. I'm thinking a .44mag rifle with 340gr Buffalo Bore will be a might more potent. Also, while I'm not saying don't use a gun (obviously), I've scared away lots of black bears with shouting and rocks. Moose would be a much greater concern to me. Or sneaky mountain lions.

Also, I guess if we're talking about the ammo/speed limits of levers and bolt guns, we might as well throw shotguns into the mix.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2024, 11:59:30 AM »
I've used .454, .44 and 10mm as predator protection as well, but the understanding is I'm choosing to carry a pistol for ease of carry, and attempting to get the best of the underpowered rounds available to me.  If I have to carry a long gun anyway, why would I bring a pistol cartridge even a powerful one? 

I also agree, moose and other large aggressive herbivores are my prime animal concern.  I've seen lots of bear in my life and only had to shoot at a couple, and only shot one.  I saw a mom and two cubs in my campsite in Ocala National Forrest a couple years ago and felt a little undergunned with only the 9mm I had at that time, but she collected her kids and left in a hurry.

I hate shotguns.  Everything about running and shooting a shotgun pisses me off.  I've been trying to practice with mine so I can do some 3-gun matches, but I *expletive deleted*ing hate them.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2024, 12:11:17 PM »
A purpose specific lever action travel rifle?
Browning BLR in .308.
Fudd friendly, detachable magazines, pointy projectiles, left hand compatibility. I'm sure you could add optics, although the defensive situations you describe don't really require glass. Yeah I know. But they don't.
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 12:35:53 PM »
Hey Dogmush - What do you think about using a shotgun instead?

=D =D =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2024, 12:36:57 PM »
Hey Dogmush - What do you think about using a shotgun instead?

=D =D =D

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2024, 01:00:29 PM »
^^^

SEE!!!  All that blast and recoil, and it can't even kill one little black duck!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2024, 01:05:33 PM »
except for the price being more than I was looking to spend, this might be a strong contender: https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=58172

Or I could go back to RH bolts and look at that Mossberg.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2024, 02:57:47 PM »
Isn’t there a ruger LH scout or ranch rifle with detach mag? I think you even get the threaded barrel.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
^^^
Yeah, it's another $100 over the Savage to buy, then I'd need a $100 rail to run the scope I want.

What I really need is to find a used one.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2024, 05:46:24 PM »
I may have to build this to make budget...

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 07:44:53 PM »
If you build it, they will come.
Whoever THEY are….
Howa barreled actions are really good and sometimes cheap. If I were in a mood to build I might start there.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2024, 09:11:42 PM »
I'd have to give up on left handed action for the Howa. But otherwise, yeah that'd be a good start.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2024, 11:42:43 PM »
except for the price being more than I was looking to spend, this might be a strong contender: https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=58172

Ooh, I like that!  Get that!  Be my guinea pig and tell me all about it.  :-)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

griz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2024, 07:49:14 PM »

If somebody had said 30 years that the problem with buying a Savage rifle would be the price, well, they wouldn't say that.  Times change I guess.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.