Author Topic: People are idiots  (Read 495 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
People are idiots
« on: March 11, 2024, 03:39:15 PM »
Remember the Stanley cup fad that had women fighting over them in the aisles?
Now it's Trader Joe bags and people are playing stupid money for them

Move over Stanley, the latest craze is now centered around the limited-time mini Trader Joe's tote bags.

A viral TikTok video posted last week shows a surge of shoppers waiting for Trader Joe's staff to wheel out a display filled with the $2.99 mini canvas tote bags – which are almost identical to the company's original canvas totes.

Once the bags were brought out, the crowd rushed the stand, according to the clip, which has been viewed over 3 million times.

The user, Elinor Kim, captioned it: "this was so scary but I'm aware I'm a part of the problem."
Some eBay users are trying to capitalize on the craze by selling the bags at a significant price. In some cases, sets of the $3 bags are priced as high as $500.

Trader Joe’s tote bags reselling for as much as $500: 'It’s like the Stanley cups all over again'
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/trader-joes-tote-bags-reselling-for-much-500-its-like-stanley-cups-all-over-again
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: People are idiots
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 04:10:10 PM »
People are asking stupid money for them - how many stupid people are actually paying the asking prices?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 04:37:23 PM »
Okay, people are asking stupid prices
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 06:37:22 PM »
Why?  I don't mean why are people paying so much, I mean why do they want a Trader Joes bag instead of a bag from Food Lion or some other place that sells them for two bucks?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »
Why?  I don't mean why are people paying so much, I mean why do they want a Trader Joes bag instead of a bag from Food Lion or some other place that sells them for two bucks?

There's a weird cred, and it's not just liberal, but some conservative demographic as well, for being into Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco, and probably a few others. While Costco doesn't sell the clothing for outrageous money, there are people that will deck themselves and their pets in Kirkland branded clothes. And I don't mean jeans sold by Kirkland, I mean sweatshirts, dog sweaters, etc emblazoned with "Kirkland" all over the garment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:08:28 PM »
There's a weird cred, and it's not just liberal, but some conservative demographic as well, for being into Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco, and probably a few others. While Costco doesn't sell the clothing for outrageous money, there are people that will deck themselves and their pets in Kirkland branded clothes. And I don't mean jeans sold by Kirkland, I mean sweatshirts, dog sweaters, etc emblazoned with "Kirkland" all over the garment.
I'm generally not interested in paying to advertise someone else's business. Now if they GIVE me a free T-Shirt with their logo . . . maybe I'll wear it. But as a general rule - no. (Mmmm - I think I have an S&W belt buckle somewhere in a drawer. Maybe a Winchester too. So I guess there may be a few minor exceptions.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 09:29:08 PM »
I guess people are more susceptible to mob behavior than they think.

"Not me, of course... I'm an independent thinker."

But I don't think it's based on a thought process.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 09:31:17 PM »
I guess people are more susceptible to mob behavior than they think.

"Not me, of course... I'm an independent thinker."

But I don't think it's based on a thought process.

They could stop that stuff in its tracks by requiring the people wanting them to show up in their Trump sneakers! :)

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 06:37:03 AM »

Live and learn I guess.  I just think about the thrift store I go to that has a box of cloth shopping bags for 10 cents each.  More my speed.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 07:42:02 AM »
You're just now figuring that out?

After years of being a member... here?

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 09:13:38 AM »
You're just now figuring that out?

After years of being a member... here?

:rofl:
Yeah, and if we aren't enough to convince you, just look at random stuff on youtube or tiktok. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 09:33:44 AM »
Up here in the central part of Snohomish county, the big news is that the Trader Joe's in Everett moved across the street to the mall last week.  The old site was in a strip mall and had the typical death-trap TJ's parking lot that was too small and too cramped. Traffic would back up into the roadway waiting for a parking spot to open up.

Now, it moved into part of the old Sears anchor store at the mall. Right next to an Ulta and a At Home store is being built next to it in the Sears space. The mall is pretty much a ghost town at this point so there is lots of parking for Trader Joe's. Since is is more square feet, the beer and wine selection has expanded along with the freezer space. One of the quickest party preps I know is to go to TJs and buy a bunch of frozen appetizers or entrees.

They don't have Aldi's out here, but my friends who visit from places that have Aldi stores say that TJ's reminds them of Aldi, and in fact TJ's is owned by an Aldi parent.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 09:40:41 AM »
They could stop that stuff in its tracks by requiring the people wanting them to show up in their Trump sneakers! :)

bob

Just wear a red ball cap, doesn't even have to say anything on it.
A youtuber I watch usually wear black ball caps and for one video he wore a red one, it didn't even say anything on it, and some people in the comments went nuts.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 09:45:22 AM »
I'm a Philadelphia Phillies fan. Have been for decades.

Their primary colors are bright red and white.

I've had people start bitching at me based on their being triggered by the colors alone, without an iota of comprehension of what letter on the hat is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 09:47:07 AM »
without an iota of comprehension of what letter on the hat is.

P for Pissed!
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 09:57:25 AM »
. . . Since is is more square feet, the beer and wine selection has expanded along with the freezer space . . .
I haven't been in a Trader Joe's for years - I'm sure inflation has had an effect on all wines, but I'm curious - what is the (formerly) Two Buck Chuck going for these days?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 11:34:43 AM »
I haven't been in a Trader Joe's for years - I'm sure inflation has had an effect on all wines, but I'm curious - what is the (formerly) Two Buck Chuck going for these days?

Here in Washington, it was always at least three buck Chuck due to state alcohol taxes. It is now $ 4.49 buck Chuck last time I checked.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 11:36:59 AM »
They should just round it up to sawbuck chuck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2024, 01:30:33 PM »
They should just round it up to sawbuck chuck.
Helluva way to round - make it Fin Chuck and double it?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 01:39:24 PM »
Helluva way to round - make it Fin Chuck and double it?

"Sawbuck" rolls off the tongue better, and "fin" is too close to "Mickey Finn", which you probably don't want to associate with a drink.  =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2024, 07:51:54 PM »
"Sawbuck" rolls off the tongue better, and "fin" is too close to "Mickey Finn", which you probably don't want to associate with a drink.  =D
Last time I heard someone use the term Mickey Finn it was my doctor. Hmmm . . . I WAS dating his sister at the time . . .