Author Topic: No More 6% Commissions for Real Estate Brokers  (Read 281 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No More 6% Commissions for Real Estate Brokers
« on: March 16, 2024, 09:54:19 AM »
A lawsuit has eliminated the "6% commission" model in real estate sales. Not having any real knowledge of the push-pull factors in real estate sales, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm wondering if it will kill off a lot of part time realtors. I have always been fascinated by just how many realtors there are in any locality, and have always wondered how they all made a sufficient income. I always just supposed that they were all out there hoping for one or two $500K home sales per year for a salary.

The story doesn't really go into how the realtor model will change, other that to predict that it will lower home buying prices.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/15/economy/nar-realtor-commissions-settlement/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: No More 6% Commissions for Real Estate Brokers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:14:25 AM »
So much fail in just one story. If I weren't typing this from my phone, I'd detail it out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 11:27:43 AM »
So much fail in just one story. If I weren't typing this from my phone, I'd detail it out.

Brad

As far as I know, it was always negotiable when I played with it.  It's just that when resistance was encountered, 7% (at the time) would be called "standard," as if it were a matter of some law or another when really it was just "standard" as a requirement within that agency.

One might call that "a little grey truth."

Commission rates may have become a matter of actual state law here and there --I am unaware if that's the case anywhere nowadays.

By the way, Realtor (with a capital R) is a trademarked term usable only by members of the National Association of Realtors.  All others are just "real estate agents."

However, by persistent misuse, it got blurred like Kleenex and Assault Rifle.

Many licensed agents, Realtor or not, did better by operating on their own account rather than as agents. Just that "being in the biz" yielded many opportunities that never saw the actual open market.

That's kind of changed now, viz the many unlicensed "we buy any house" operations nowadays.

I gave up renewing my broker's license in the mid nineties when Colorado's bullshit "Continuing Education" requirement became too onerous and expensive.  Hell, I could have taught the "continuing education" classes --I was a member of the Graduate Realtors Institute --but the requirement was really only designed to thin out the number of licensees.  So it worked in my case.  The stupid net effect was to drive licensees into operating in unlicensed (and therefore unregulated) areas, which, arguably, worked to the detriment of the public rather than the benefit.

Will that do it for you, Brad?

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.nar.realtor/education/designations-and-certifications/graduate-realtor-institute-gri
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:02:42 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm sure the real estate professionals will argue that they provide $25,000 worth of value in the transaction of the average US home priced at $417k, but I personally think most parts of the home buying process are fairly predatory and overpriced.  There can be a lot of hassle in a transaction, and some don't pan out. I get that.  But on the whole, the ones around here who pursue it full time seem to be doing just fine.  That's a pretty big tax to pay for someone to facilitate a transaction using largely standardized paperwork.

Home inspectors are another questionable category.  Seem lots of them that have no background in the trades or dealing with building maintenance who got into it after retiring from their desk job.  I've been sent many home inspection reports calling things out on HVAC which show a lot of ignorance on the part of the inspector.

Title companies?  Even worse.  Eat money and rubber stamp things.  I personally had to dig through deeds at the courthouse to find title work which my title company missed.  I literally had to do their job for them or I wouldn't have legally owned a fair chunk of land.  Did they do any due diligence?  Verify that the legal description actually matched the transaction?  Nope, just rubber stamped whatever the computer spit out, and asked for $700 bucks.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 04:31:47 PM »
Nick - not the agent's or the title company's mistake but I found several major errors in my property taxes by the county.  To start with, they had the external dimensions off, saying I had about 1375 sq. ft. when I actually have just over 1300. 
Then they claimed the house was "masonry" despite the brick veneer (that goes less than halfway up) being less than 40%, AND a basement (crawlspace), AND a garage when the house has an attached carport.  :facepalm:
They had to reassess after which they refunded several hundred in over-payment.
  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 11:05:54 AM »
Now that I'm at a real keyboard.

The main takeaways...

COMMISSIONS GOING DOWN 25-50%!! Yeah, because the Buyer will be paying their own fee for representation rather than Buyer's Agent getting paid through a listing fee coop. The total isn't going down, it's just being shifted from one side to the other. House prices might drop a percent or two as a result but Buyers will have that much in additional purchase expense. Talking heads are trumpeting it as a huge thing but in reality it's a net-zero change being grossly misrepresented in the press. Sure, Buyers can go commando and not use an agent but get your popcorn ready because it'll be an ungodly train wreck for a while. Buyers, especially younger buyers who've never dealt with real estate transactions, will be wading in with a metric buttload of misinformation, incorrect presumption, entitlement mentalities, and a heaping helping of outright ignorance. They're going to lose their minds when they're told "No" or get hung out to dry on legal technicalities directly resulting from their choice of non-representation. I foresee title companies and abstract offices upcharging for unrepresented buyers due to the increased workload these customers will inevitably generate.

No more being forced to use MLS! Okay, sure. So where are prospective buyers going to see your property? Where do you think Zillow, Redfin, Compass, etc. get those pretty pictures? No, you won't be forced to use a particular MLS, but unless you want your house to sit unnoticed, you'll have to market it somewhere. There will likely be separate agreements for MLS services, fee structure yet to be determined.

Biggest changes will be in new home buyers and buyers who like trading up every 5-7 years. New home buyers traditionally don't have the means to fund much beyond the most basic of basic down payments on an FHA Insured mortgage. Stacking an extra couple percent for Buyer Representation, which they likely won't be able to roll into the note, puts them several years behind. Delaying initial entry into the ownership market has huge ripple effects that will last decades. In terms of trader-uppers, that group traditionally trades up when they've built enough equity to get into a larger home with no out of pocket expense. They buy up with time and market appreciation, not hard currency. Having to pay Buyer's Representation fees out of pocket will delay their trade-up cycle by several years. Again, ripple effects, especially in entry-level housing as existing owners hold onto their places longer, either from not wanting to incur the additional Buyer's Representation expense of moving up, or waiting for their house value to increase X amount in a depressed market.

In general, the net transaction costs won't appreciably change. The difference is which direction the money comes from and the expense of additional steps mandated into the process. Overall I think it's going to have a big impact on the housing marking, though not in the direction everyone thinks. I foresee the market bumping up short term from general "Yeehaa!" sentiment, but stumbling quickly when buyers realize how the change affects them. Long term it's going to have a damping effect, mostly due to shifting of previously seller-funded fees/costs over to the buyers' side.

Insofar as part-time agents go, I don't see much of a change. Part-timers aren't doing it for a living, they're doing it as a hobby or supplemental income. Yeah, they'll see some shift in net revenue, especially those that specialize in buyer representation, but overall it won't affect them much. Full-timers will bear the brunt, not only in income changes but also in public sentiment when people realize this isn't the eutopic paradise they envisioned. It won't be the fault of the public for getting exactly what they wanted, it will be the fault of the agents because... Big Real Estate.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 02:28:45 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 09:09:39 PM »
^ ✔
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 09:27:06 PM »
I was a bit annoyed at the agent I dealt with buying my first home since his wife was the actual agent and I didn't meet her until the very end.  Most of the negatives I still remember were my own doing so nothing concrete to complain about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge