Poll

Is Edward Snowden a criminal, or a hero?

This guy is a true blue hero
26 (44.1%)
Criminal.  He violated his Top Secret clearance
1 (1.7%)
It's still Fistful's fault
8 (13.6%)
All 3
24 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?  (Read 54482 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
I always look fabulous....good genes, I guess...  :cool:

Wrangler or Levi ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
Wrangler or Levi ?

More like Hackman & Wilder....  :cool:

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/14/snowden-chose-not-to-release-most-damaging-data/

"Snowden has enough information to cause more damage to the US government in a minute alone than anyone else has ever had in the history of the United States," [Greenwald] told the paper in an interview published on Saturday.

[popcorn]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
....and that target on his back just keeps getting bigger....  ;/

Not if that information is on a dead man's switch. Arrest/kill Snowden, and the data goes out.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
Not if that information is on a dead man's switch. Arrest/kill Snowden, and the data goes out.

You can't stop the signal  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »

There are plenty of parties that want that info released. So it makes him an attractive target for both those who want it disclosed as well as those who want the info to remain secret. I bet being a spy isn't as much fun as it first seemed like to him.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
There are plenty of parties that want that info released. So it makes him an attractive target for both those who want it disclosed as well as those who want the info to remain secret. I bet being a spy isn't as much fun as it first seemed like to him.

Yeah, no shinola.  Someone in his place ought to have redundant, layered data stashes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
Somehow I bet they skipped the layered dead man info stash part of field craft in his analyst training class.

This guy needs to quit bragging. If he shuts up long enough for American Idol to start he'll be home free.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »

That's the tricky part of dead man's switch. You want it ugly enough to discourage its target from attacking, but not THAT ugly that the enemy of your enemy wants it pressed. And you want folks to believe that dead man's switch is in that happy middle ground.

It's less than pleasant. You might find that sweet spot, and have some party believe it's a bluff. Or that you're lying. Or whatever.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:32 AM »
But they know that he's being assisted by the Wikileaks people, so it's reasonable to surmise that Wikileaks has a copy of everything, and that the dead man's switch has been armed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
Nobody can actually know. Perhaps he left it on a USB Key with his girlfriend. Or gave a copy to Assange. Or both. Or backed up on a site that requires he log in each morning. Or all three.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Each day more and more comes out about the NSA and Fed.gov are listening to citizens.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130816/02532424205/okay-now-will-people-admit-that-ed-snowden-is-whistleblower.shtml
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:22:05 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
I'm kind of surprised the guy is still sucking air.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
There's a reason he's in hiding in Russia.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
If we had smart & moral folks running out gov't, Snowden would be offered immunity for a full dump of everything he knows about our rogue agencies.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
If we had smart & moral folks running out gov't, Snowden would be offered immunity for a full dump of everything he knows about our rogue agencies.

Damned starry-eyed dreamers, ruining our Aristocracy of Pull and the machine that feeds it. ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
AZ44:

I know you are joking, but I have been so accused in the past.  Which leaves me with a case of "WTF? Face."   ???

Because my predilection for less authority in the hands of gov't is largely based on my dark view of human nature.  
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »

That would require that the PTB (Powers That Be) recognize and acknowledge that the NSA is a rogue agency. They don't. They are still engaging in denial and damage control. So what if the NSA snoops violated to rules of engagement something like 2400 times in ONE year? That's only 6.75 times PER DAY on average. They were honest mistakes. We weren't TRYING to intercept those particular conversations.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:56:23 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Levant

• friend
« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
From the Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-broke-privacy-rules-thousands-of-times-per-year-audit-finds/2013/08/15/3310e554-05ca-11e3-a07f-49ddc7417125_story.html

The NSA audit obtained by the Post dated May 2012, counted 2,776 incidents in the preceding 12 months of unauthorized collection, storage, access to or distribution of legally protected communications. Most were unintended. Many involved failures of due diligence or violations of standard operating procedure. The most serious incidents included a violation of a court order and unauthorized use of data about more than 3,000 Americans and green-card holders.

So who's going to jail for those that were not unintended?
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Levant

• friend
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
Snowden continues to slowly release worse and worse information.  It seems that he's trying to make the point to Congress and the press with the least required damage to the United States and it's reputation globally but neither Congress nor the press are getting the point.  That seems to leave Snowden having to escalate more and more to get the point made.  How bad will it get before we act?
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
How bad will it get before we act?

Simple.  We won't.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
And We won't because... TRRSM! ZOMG!!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

They probably think that they can get the full dump of everything he knows without full immunity, indeed judging by the detention of his partner in London yesterday they might have it already.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
They probably think that they can get the full dump of everything he knows without full immunity, indeed judging by the detention of his partner in London yesterday they might have it already.

That was Greenfield's boyfriend who got detained, not Snowden's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.