Author Topic: You never know when your number is up.  (Read 2655 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
You never know when your number is up.
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
I was there as this happened.  They had just started back to the dock to load up and go home.  From what I saw, and from what I gleaned from the seven-way screaming that passed for communication, he jumped overboard to pee and never resurfaced.  He was only forty or fifty feet from shore, but the lake channel is deep and very abrupt there.

I was on the lake with a buddy and his daughter. We were pulling up to go home, too, when it happened.  Aside from the victim's boat we were the only boat there.  We patrolled the area for the ten or fifteen minutes it took the lake patrol boat to arrive but, as you can see by the result, were unsuccessful at locating him.

From KCBD Newschannel 11

http://www.kcbd.com/global/Story.asp?s=10752668

7/20/09
Body of drowning victim recovered from Lake Alan Henry

Posted: July 20, 2009 04:45 AM CDT

Updated: July 20, 2009 12:39 PM CDT

Updated by Karin Slyker | email

LUBBOCK, TX. (KCBD) - Late Monday morning, Lubbock authorities recovered the body of a drowning victim from Lake Alan Henry. He is now identified as Daniel Parker, 35, of Payson, Arizona.

Lake Alan Henry is located in Garza county, about 65 miles southeast of Lubbock.

Authorities tell NewsChannel 11 that Parker fell overboard just after 8:00 p.m. Sunday night. He was reportedly one of eight people on a boat registered in his name.

Fourteen units from six agencies responded to the scene, and search rescue attempts continued until about midnight, but were unsuccessful.

A Lubbock dive team returned to the lake Monday morning. And just before 10:00 a.m., they located Parker's body in 38 feet of water, about two miles down from the boat ramp.

His body will now be turned over to the Lubbock County Medical Examiner's office for autopsy.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: You never know when your number is up.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »
Very sad.

My wife and I want to get a boat (after a house first) and things like this are lessons to the rest of us.

Just like with a firearm, safety must be upmost in your thoughts while on the water- it's a dangerous place, even to the experienced.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
I wonder if alcohol was a factor.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
yea boats can get you quick my paranoia level is high  i have vests for my dogs  get teased but i'm bring all my mutts home
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

Its scary how many people don't hesitate to go out, get hammer drunk on the boat, and drive it around the lake/river/bay/ocean.
Hell, I'd feel safer driving a car drunk than a boat.......
For some sad reading, google "drunk boat accident" or some similar combination.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »

Yes.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
Yes, the death of any person is a sad occassion.  However, based on the "he jumped overboard to pee" statement I am more inclined towards "Stupid should hurt".  That alcohol and stupid human tricks were combined merely moves me farther away from empathy, sympathy and/or compassion.

My concerns are for your buddy's daughter - I somehow have the feeling from your post that she is not yet a cynical, bitter and jaded adult.  My prayers are that she is not "traumatized" by this event.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
I somehow have the feeling from your post that she is not yet a cynical, bitter and jaded adult.  My prayers are that she is not "traumatized" by this event.

skidmark

Correct on Item 1.  She's 11.

Plenty of McDonalds fries and singing along with the Jonas Brothers at high volume on the hour's drive home to wipe away as much bad as possible, and to soften that which remained.  Hopefully that took care of Item 2.

As for jumping overboard to pee, well, that's the way it's done.  We're talking about a small ski/fun boat, not a big cabin cruiser with all the facilities. When it's time to relieve yourself you can either pee in the bottom of the boat, or...

Brad
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:41:55 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
So is the speculation that he hit something not he way down or maybe when bobbing back up to the surface?  Hard to see how someone could just go under in open lake water if they aren't wearing concrete shoes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
Judging from what the news is saying, those onboard the boat are indicating he hit his head on something as he exited.  It isn't clear if the impact was during his dive, or the result of tripping and falling as he was getting ready to dive.

Brad
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
As for jumping overboard to pee, well, that's the way it's done.  We're talking about a small ski/fun boat, not a big cabin cruiser with all the facilities. When it's time to relieve yourself you can either pee in the bottom of the boat, or...

On my boat, we stand on the gunwhale and pee while hanging on to the overhead winch bar (we have a modified v-hull  cruiser that now serves as a shrimpboat, we use a 40' net). Or you can also pee into a bucket...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:30:29 PM »
On my boat, we stand on the gunwhale and pee while hanging on to the overhead winch bar (we have a modified v-hull  cruiser that now serves as a shrimpboat, we use a 40' net). Or you can also pee into a bucket...

But it's much more fun to dive into the water where the fishies have already peed and pooped, and tread water in the cloud of your own warm pee - especially if you are drunk.

Brad - How's the buddy's daughter doing?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
My level of sympathy drastically decreases when "alcohol was involved." I feel for the poor kid tho, not her fault Daddy applied for a Darwin.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
I suspect he was not wearing a life jacket.  Since I have the swimming ability of a large pebble, I always wear a life jacket when on the water in a small boat. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »

Plenty of McDonalds fries and singing along with the Jonas Brothers at high volume on the hour's drive home to wipe away as much bad as possible, and to soften that which remained.  Hopefully that took care of Item 2.

I hope the kid isn't traumatized.

I also wonder how you're doing, Brad?

You witnessed this unfortunate incident as well.   =(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:29:10 PM by LadySmith »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 03:01:36 AM »

And yet, when she hits adolescence and her and her friends' brains turn to jelly, I hope she remembers it vividly.  Better to learn from the stupidity of strangers than from someone you love.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
I hope the kid isn't traumatized.

I also wonder how you're doing, Brad?

You witnessed this unfortunate incident as well.   =(

Kiddo is fine.  According to her Dad she was a little overwhelmed that night after she got home and all was quiet, but seems to have pushed the darker parts of the memory aside now.  At least all she saw was a bunch of people screaming and not the actual dive (or, thank goodness, a body).

Her Dad, on the other hand, is a basket case. It's the first time he'd been on the scene while an even like that was taking place and it shook him up but good. If anyone will end up needing to talk to someone about it, he will. I'm sure I'll get to play Garage Psychiatrist for the foreseeable future.

As for me, I'm fine. It isn't the first time I've been privy to Death by Stupid, nor will it likely be the last.

Brad
-HankB