Author Topic: Scratch one Iranian frigate  (Read 2441 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Scratch one Iranian frigate
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
By one of their own destroyers. Whoops
On the bright side they know the missile works.

IranBehtar
@BehtarIran
·
3h
At Iran's Navy exercise: "Jamaran" destroyer mistakenly has shot and sank Kenarak frigate, killing more than 40. Bodies of 22 have been found. Injured are transferred to Chabahar hospitals.
#IranTruth
https://twitter.com/hashtag/IranTruth?src=hashtag_click

Dozens feared dead as Iranian destroyer accidentally SINKS one of the country's own warships after opening fire on it
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8305891/Iranian-destroyer-accidentally-opens-fire-one-warships.html

‘Friendly fire’ naval accident reported in Iran
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/10/friendly-fire-naval-accident-reported-in-iran/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Scratch one Iranian frigate
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:52 PM »
Have they blamed the US/Trump yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
In another outstanding example of what passes for "journalism" today, from the same article I have learned that an Iranian destroyer sank either a frigate, a supply ship, or a battleship.

No wonder politicians resort to "some people did something."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
Can't find any reference to a Kenarak frigate. Only reference I can find is to an Iranian island named Kenarak so I'm guessing the frigate may have been based at Kenarak and it's not it's name.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 09:52:36 PM »
In another outstanding example of what passes for "journalism" today, from the same article I have learned that an Iranian destroyer sank either a frigate, a supply ship, or a battleship.

No wonder politicians resort to "some people did something."

Saw that, unfortunately it's quite common for the media to use the term battleship for pretty much any warship that's not a carrier or submarine.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »
Have they blamed the US/Trump yet.

They don't have to, the media will usually do it for them.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Frigate, destroyer

While Jamaran has been described by the press as a guided missile destroyer, within some western military analysis circles such as Jane's Information Group and GlobalSecurity.org it has instead been designated a frigate based on its displacement;[3][4][5] the latter acknowledged that there are no "rules in these matters". Globalsecurity.org states: "Iran calls these ships 'destroyers' but they would be classed as a light Frigate by the reckoning of all other countries."[4] PressTV and Iranian military are themselves describing Jamaran as a "frigate class ship"[18] in the same article where they claim it as a "destroyer".

Iranian frigate Jamaran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_frigate_Jamaran
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »
Somebody's next eval is not going to go well.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 11:36:02 PM »
Saw that, unfortunately it's quite common for the media to use the term battleship for pretty much any warship that's not a carrier or submarine.
I guess we should feel lucky they didn't call it an AK47.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:52 AM »
Can't find any reference to a Kenarak frigate. Only reference I can find is to an Iranian island named Kenarak so I'm guessing the frigate may have been based at Kenarak and it's not it's name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_ships_of_the_Islamic_Republic_of_Iran_Navy#Other

Scrolling down to the bottom of the list, I see that there is (or was!) a Hendijan-class supply ship named Konarak. So, not exactly a battleship. But perhaps it self-identified as a battleship ... who am I to judge?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 04:53:14 AM »
It was the Jamaran class frigate Jamaran (first ship of the class) that launched the missle, and it hit the Hendijan class supply ship Konarak.  Some of the confusion in the reporting is because the IRN puts missles on their supply ships so that thing is somewhere between a resupply/support ship and a Missle Patrol Boat.

The Konarak was reportedly towing the target ships into position when struck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 07:02:34 AM »
Well if Donald Trump wasn't such a warmongering ass this never would have happened! It's his fault!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:05:07 AM »
Alex, I'm going to say "What is the will of Allah"?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
Things happen. I know of three exercise mishaps we have had. One an A-6 was towing a target and the CIWS engaged the plane instead. Another, on my ship the CIWS severed the tow cable and the cable skipped across the deck and decapitated someone. Most well known was when we cleaned out the bridge of Turkish frigate and killed a few admirals because someone with our Sea Sparrows didn’t get the difference between drill and real.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »
CNN: Trump gives a Glock C19 which then goes on to accidentally shoot a battleship and kills 19 AK-47s. Putin tells Trump not to visit the injured AK-47s in the hospital because Georgia jogger. Schiff investigating and is preparing an impeachment, Pelosi says we got him and is buying extra ice cream and TP for the trial.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:19:44 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
Dear Iran navy,
keep up the good work!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
Alex, I'm going to say "What is the will of Allah"?

To sink Iranian ships, apparently...  :lol:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 12:20:25 PM »
For reference by our friends in the media:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-hit-own-ship-missile-meant-to-show-competence-2020-5

Here's a pic of the damage:

Either that's a pretty wimpy missile or it was intended to just make a boat look old and beat up.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Scroll down to the picture of the whole ship, or what's left of it.

The superstructure is pretty much destroyed and the vessel is clearly taking on water. It looks to be down several meters in the bow and listing to starboard.  I'd say the missile did ok. That ship is clearly out of any fight, it's crew is decimated and it probably would have sunk without assistance. And that's one missile of a type that is intended to be fired in scores.

Americans tend to downplay lower tech stuff because it's not as cool and accurate as a Tonahawk or Harpoon, but 50 of those coming at a DDG at the same time would be a problem.  10 of them would almost certainly sink a tanker.

Except for hitting the wrong boat it was a pretty good test, and that may be as simple as the operator clicking the wrong blip.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
Video
Superstructure is basically gone

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52612511
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
Might have been an aluminum superstructure, they are light but they sure like to burn.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
Aluminum superstructure? Yeah, we do that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.