Author Topic: Original ATF AR-15 Classification Refutes Claim that Rifle ‘Not Meant’ for .....  (Read 619 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Original ATF AR-15 Classification Refutes Claim that Rifle ‘Not Meant’ for Civilians
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/12/original-atf-ar-15-classification-refutes-claim-that-rifle-not-meant-for-civilians/#ixzz7Dub1j5NN
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The article has a link to the original ATF classification letter sent to Colt for selling the early AR-15 model on the civilian market. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Thank you. I have managed to get a copy of the two pages of the letter. One might wish the background hadn't gotten so dark, but the text can still be read.

For some reason, I wasn't able to download the letter, so I had to resort to doing screen captures and then save a JPEGs. If anyone has been able to download the letter as a PDF, I would appreciate it if you would send me a PM so I can ask you to send the letter to me by e-mail.

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
When I view it, it says it wants me to sign up to download.  I was able to save the old letter pages as jpg files directly.  The newer part of the letter wanted to save as a webpage. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
I pulled a pdf copy

Hawkmoon

• friend
When I view it, it says it wants me to sign up to download.  I was able to save the old letter pages as jpg files directly.  The newer part of the letter wanted to save as a webpage.

That's what I did. Then a friend coached me in playing with the brightness and contrast to reduce the background a bit.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I didn't go after the letter, but I was interested in this from the article:

"
“There are several things that are interesting,” Savage told AmmoLand News about the classification letter. “One, it shows pre-Gun Control Act ATF policy on the AR-15 system,” He noted. “It also shows why the most likely reason an AR lower is considered a ‘frame or receiver’ is that from 1962-1968 Colt marked the lower receivers with the information (flat surface as the upper is round). Meaning the regulatory scheme used by ATF  1968 to [the] present is based on what Colt marked pre-1968 and not the statute. Willfully and knowingly.”

“Len hit the nail on the head,” Stamboulieh weighed in. “The current notice of proposed rule-making reads as if there was just no way the ATF could have known that the AR-15 split modular design [various uppers fitted to the lowers] was a thing. Back in 1968, the agency promulgated the definition of frame or receiver, post-dating the classification letter of the AR15, and that shows why they should have originally known what they were making a definition for.”

He and Savage also cleared up a point of potential confusion on why the classification letter refers to the AR-15 as an “automatic rifle.”
"
[Bracketed material and underlining mine]

And so on.

I have long objected to folks referring to the uppers on these things as "the upper receiver" since in my paranoid mind, that opens the door to requiring serialization of the uppers and hence regulation thereof.

Once when I mentioned this people started defending calling uppers "upper receivers" and my thoughts were that they were just unwittingly helping the "ATF" extend its regulatory authority and I had no more truck with the issue at that time.

I decided to remain paranoid about the "ATF" and went no further with the idea at that time.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
The actual meaning of the Second Amendment is that Americans have the right to own military firearms.  This was pretty much universally agreed for well over a hundred years by courts all over the country.  Military firearms are meant for civilian ownership in the USA.

But you all know that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
The actual meaning of the Second Amendment is that Americans have the right to own military firearms.  This was pretty much universally agreed for well over a hundred years by courts all over the country.  Military firearms are meant for civilian ownership in the USA.

But you all know that.

Yes, we pretty much do know that. Nonetheless, unless and until the NFA of 1934 is repealed, we "civilians" aren't allowed to own or possess fully automatic firearms. That leaves us where we are today, fighting back against the escalating claims from the anti-gun side that the SEMI-automatic AR-15 is a military (or "military-style") weapon and that civilians should not be allowed to own them. The fact that the BATFE approved it for civilian sales, as a semi-automatic firearm, BEFORE the military had adopted the M16 is IMHO a powerful argument (which, of course, won't change a single anti-gun mind, because they are immune to both facts and logic).

Jim147

• friends
My SAA was a military firearm.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG