Author Topic: Is it just me, or has the demographics of TFL and THR changed?  (Read 3202 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Is it just me, or has the demographics of TFL and THR changed?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 03:47:13 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I have seen a few examples of mods taking one side or another in a heated argument when IMHO they should try their best to remain unbiased mediators.
Moderators, 280, not mediators.  Let them have their say.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 05:39:54 AM »
"Heck, that's nothing new. You have to let it go in one eye and out the other. So to speak. As soon as anyone resorts to those type of tactics they've already lost the argument. The tough part is not replying or better yet, replying in a civil manner."

Except ... that ad hominem attacks are expressly forbidden - yet that sort of thing just slides by. Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »
Moderate / Mediate = Same  same? At least that's the way I meant it...

IIRC ad hominems are points that are addressed that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed but are meant to redirect the focus and clutter up the discussion with moot type stuff. Is that correct?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »
ad hominem:  Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

Its what folks resort to when they can't debate the facts.  Like "Yeah, well so's your old man!!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 12:59:43 PM »
Fistful, Barbara won't get you at the point of a gun. She'll just knit you to death. Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 01:09:50 PM »
Ad hominem literally means "to the man," IICR.  It is the logical fallacy of "refuting" an argument by attacking the opponent's personal failings, or of thinking that a person's point of view must be wrong because they are personally unlikeable.  However, being mean to your opponent is not necessarily a logical failing, though it does cloud the discussion.

Even though I like Rush Limbaugh, quoting him as a source may not be the best way to resolve a disputed point of fact.  On the other hand, my opponent can't refute such an approach by simply saying, "Rush Limbaugh is biased," or, "Rush Limbaugh is a pill-head."  Rush Limbaugh's character or bias is beside the point, and he may well be very correct on certain points.  But it is true that Limbaugh's commentary is not exactly a peer-reviewed article or a bipartisan commission.

And Monkeyleg, I will get Barbara first.  I hunt down such intolerant kooks and persecute them for their bigotry, the animals.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Much clearer now. Cheesy

The same rule applies to these though. At the point where an ad hominem appears the person introducing it has lost the argument and the argument becomes pointless. Why reply? Just move on to other discussions. I guess I've just become immune? I use to rebuke such attacks with a vengence, now I just move on to the next thread. Why get all worked up? I'm TRYING to have some fun with all this. Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 05:44:26 PM »
Why should I even argue with you, 280plus.  Who has a number for a name?  That's stupid, and your stupid for having a stupid name, so shut up!

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 07:47:08 PM »
I think society in general went to hell in a handbasket when  Cokes went up from being a nickel, movie houses quit having balconies and became mega theaters,  the drive-in picture shows disappeared, TV went to color, more than 3 channels offered and remote controls came about, engines in cars were mounted sideways, and the power was applied to front wheels.

Gubmint started meddlin' more, indoctrinatin' folks more, schools banned "Huckleberry Finn" and "Catcher In The Rye", Jimi Hendrix , Janis Joplin, Jim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn , died, all the good "parkin' spots" became subdivisions, food started getting nuked, fast food became the norm, and .gov said one had to eat steak burnt.

"has the demographics of TFL and THR changed?"

No. Just with the Internet we are able to realize just how much people are screwed up and have gone to hell in a handbasket.

Good news is I heard Bob Seger is supposed to release a new album pretty soon.    YEAH!!

There is hope afterall...

Steve

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 12:05:08 AM »
LOL...

It would be a stupid name, if it wasn't my BULLSEYE average! Cheesy Thanks for asking though. Wink

No. Just with the Internet we are able to realize just how much people are screwed up and have gone to hell in a handbasket.
Amen to that. Scary ain't it?

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 08:34:12 AM »
Scary?
Not really.

Internet just allows more real time feedback.

Yesteryear - folks had to meet at the diner, feed store, when they went into town, or letters to fuss and fume...etc. Sometime the time delay calmed tempers.

Folks did more thinking than reacting.

"Discussion Groups" existed before I was born and the reality is they will continue when I am dead.

Always been one to pass forward, managed to do so before 'puters and 'net. Truth is still do , I have 2 folks learning how to shotguns via Internet. Always interacted with Members on THR/TFL off forum - be it landline, PM, or Email.

Just I made some promises to myself l-o-n-g ago. Made some promises to some Mentors & Elders too. The computer and Internet afforded another medium to do so.

I better understand these "dimensions" my Mentors & Elders spoke and lived.  So being as I did what I set out to do ...

Time for me to 1) let the others step up 2) time for me to do the next "dimension".

What folks never understand or understood - none of what I do is about me. I am no big deal , never was, never will and Don't Care.

It is only a computer, only the Internet, only a Forum - only another Medium.

It ain't that big of a deal.  

Who Cares?

I never did - still don't

What I do care about ...some get it, some don't , some never will.

The Eight year old did a Word document for another state needing some legislative help, and made 12 copies for his friends to send in...
His mom started learning to shoot a shotgun 2months ago and with time retraints - still she broke 18/25 the other day.
Got one single mom with a kid thru a divorce, leaving the state, and she got her CCW the other day.

Ya'll be good.

Zed

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
Quote from: AJ Dual
Some of them are just trolls.
Dude, what rock have you been sleeping under? 90+% are Trolls.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)