Author Topic: Skiers: Ski area policies on refunds?  (Read 766 times)

DJJ

• friend
Skiers: Ski area policies on refunds?
« on: June 12, 2006, 03:23:36 PM »
I bought a season pass for my nephew at a ski area here in New Mexico this last winter, and they never had more than an inch or two of snow - never opened at all. They flatly told me their policy is "no refund" and "no using it next year, either" in case of bad weather - Act of God, you know.

Is this common? Anybody else live in an area with unreliable snowfall?

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:13:10 AM »
Maybe a polite but stern letter from your "attorney" will remedy the problem.  Being from Florida, I really don't have another answer.

Greg

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:51:15 PM »
Everywhere I have seen says right upfront NO REFUND.  Looking at my pass, it says 'NON-TRANSFERRABLE NO REFUNDS - NO EXCEPTIONS' in big, bold lettters on the front.

Furthermore, I signed a form that covered all that when I bought it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
Buying the pass doesnt entitle you to a season of skiing. What it does is enables you to ride the lift and use the slopes. There isnt a lot you can do about it since no ski area is likely to refund every single pass should there be a bad season, thats why one typically gets a discount if they buy during spring/summer.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:24:28 PM »
Has this actually happened to anyone else?

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »
Luckily it didn't happen directly to me, but the winter of 2004-05 sucked so bad up here in Washington that some resorts offered discounts and the like for the 05-06 season to those that bought passes but NO REFUNDS was definately the posture they took.  I think White Pass where the infamous Mahre Brothers grew up was open a total of 10 days or something that entire winter.

Good luck and remember the squeaky wheel gets the refund.