Author Topic: Chimps. I work with poorly trained chimps.  (Read 2488 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Chimps. I work with poorly trained chimps.
« on: June 14, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »
That can be the only explanation...

Jesus...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »
Jesus what?

Weren't you just bragging about the absolute perfection of your company's products?  That's good for a lot of chimps.  Smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »
Yes. We're very good at delivering defect-free software. The group's ability to do that is proven every day of the year at military installations around the world.

The written word, especially when it relates to internal processes and procedures?

OOK OOK EEEEHHH EEEHHHH! (If you have any poo, fling it now.)

Occasionally I come across something that stops me in my tracks.

Tonight I came across something that didn't just stop me in my tracks, it derailed the train, turned the tracks into Sherman's Bowties, and salted the earth around where the tracks used to be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Well...

Share.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:33:40 PM »
I just did.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »
Must I apply thumb-screws?  What, specifically, was so befuddling?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »
Take a look at who I work for, then realize that there's a reason that I've used general terms. You won't be seeing copying and pasting of sections of the document(s) on which I'm working.

You'll only hear me bitching about them.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:24:09 PM »
I work with a bunch of slackers, psychos, and troublemakers.  But when the poopoo hits the fan....like the last two days with thunderstorms during high demand times, they pull together and make it work.  If you poor schmucks in the flying public only knew how it all comes together.... Tongue
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:53:42 PM »
Oh, I forgot youse worked for the secret gub-mint programs, making soffwear fo' da' black hely-coppers.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 12:53:19 AM »
So that maKes you what Mike, top banana? shocked

I work with a bunch of slackers, psychos, and troublemakers.
Damn, that sounds like FUN! I shoulda went into aviation! Sad

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 02:52:41 AM »
"Oh, I forgot youse worked for the secret gub-mint programs, making soffwear fo' da' black hely-coppers."

That's right. Please don't forget it again.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:31:25 AM »
So you admit you work for the Black Helicopter program, which is used to spy on your fellow citizens and round up dissidents?  I'm glad I have an honest job in the tin foil industry.  That way I can sleep at night.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 03:50:00 AM »
I have a coffee cup that would probably fit, it says, "You don't have to be CRAZY to work here -- it's just a bizarre coincidence that everyone is".

Cheesy
Brian
<><
:)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 04:45:52 AM »
"So you admit you work for the Black Helicopter program, which is used to spy on your fellow citizens and round up dissidents?"

Well SOMEONE has to do it!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 05:01:26 AM »
Tell me more about these chimps.

Do they throw poop?

Do they get all excited when the monster trucks come to town?

Do they think Tuesday's cheap beer night is the best night to go out? (and Applebee's is the best restaurant ever?)

Do they have internet girlfriends/boy friends?

Or are they just a bunch of chimp poo for brains asshats that couldn't pour water out of a boot if the stiching on the boot said turn me over.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 05:14:57 AM »
Somewhere between the extremes...

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 06:11:36 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"Oh, I forgot youse worked for the secret gub-mint programs, making soffwear fo' da' black hely-coppers."

That's right. Please don't forget it again.
Do you know Bob Lazar? Wink
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 08:35:28 AM »
Quote from: charby
couldn't pour water out of a boot if the stiching on the boot said turn me over.
So if there was water in a boot, you could get it out by turning it over?  Please explain.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 08:46:10 AM »
Quote from: fistful
couldn't pour water out of a boot if the stiching on the boot said turn me over.
So if there was water in a boot, you could get it out by turning it over?  Please explain.
Just means they are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Pouring water/piss out of a boot is just an expression from Iowegia land.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 08:50:47 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Just means they are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Pouring water/piss out of a boot is just an expression from Iowegia land.

-C
He got that....he was being a smartass saying that he didn't realize you could get water out of the boot.... Tongue
I work for the .gov....there is probably a manual describing how to get the water out, and who to penalize for putting the water in there....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 08:53:14 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
He got that....he was being a smartass saying that he didn't realize you could get water out of the boot.... Tongue
I work for the .gov....there is probably a manual describing how to get the water out, and who to penalize for putting the water in there....
Yeah I realized that after I replied, been pretty serious tone here at work all week so my sarcasm sensors are shut down. End of budget year.. yeah!!

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »
"there is probably a manual describing how to get the water out"

Funny you should mention that, Jamis...

I was going through some papers over the weekend and found the original owner's manual and information sheets for the refrigerator in my house. It's a circa 1979 GE (I really need to get a new one...)

Anyway...

There are some surprisingly detailed instructions on how to use the frigging plastic ice trays, complete with photos!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 09:09:39 AM »
Just because folks are good programmers doesn't make them good communicators. This is doubly true when it comes to written communication. It's been my experience that the mindset and thought process that makes a good programmer is usually a 180 from what makes a good manual writer. Programmers tend to ignore the fact that most manual readers A) are not programmers, B) are linear thinkers needing clear, concise instructions, and C) lack the knowledge to "fill in the gaps" for procedural issues.

I used to edit the manuals for a small company here in town. My criteria for proofing was "Can my 80 year old grandmother understand this". 9 times out of 10 the answer was a resounding NO! They were usually written in clipped, poorly worded snippets with far too many references to technical things that the average user simply could not comprehend. Then the programmers would get all in a huff when I rewrote everything. They hated me, but they started writing better manuals just to keep me from darkening the door.

In my current profession we're fighting with new MLS software. It might be process-efficient and very easy on systems resources, but it stinks in daily use. It is way too compartmentalized, the flow-through is non-existant, and nothing about it is even remotely intuitive. You have to jump around from one part of the program to another to get even the most basic tasks accomplished. The menu command structure is impossible for anyone without extensive computer experience. It's pretty obvious that the program was written by people who had no real-world real estate experience and very little idea of how to make software easy to use for non-technical types. Sure, it has all the information there, but the process it takes to wrangle it out of the program is cumbersome, long-winded, and overly complex. Plus, all the little neat "techno-weenie" bells and whistles that would be neat/fun if you have a single-use program only serve to muddy the waters here. The screen space used for neat-but-useless functions could have been put to much better use with radio buttons for the most-often needed day-to-day funtions.

And the manual is trash. Not only is the grammar and sentence structure technically terrible, it jumps around without any discernable concern for keeping the manual instructions synchronized to the process it is describing. They could have said twice as much in half the space and, with a little reorganization, made the manual ten times easier to understand. I took one look at mine and threw it in the trash. It was that bad.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 01:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
There are some surprisingly detailed instructions on how to use the frigging plastic ice trays, complete with photos!
Does it say how to pour water out of the ice cube trays?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 02:18:46 PM »
It says how to pour frozen water out of the ice cube trays...

I'll type the text in this evening if I have a chance.