Author Topic: Have you always been interested in politics and current events?  (Read 780 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A question asked of Greg Gutfield, to which he replied:
Humans should not be interested in politics. You only get interested in politics in order to stop the other people who are interested in politics from taking your money or destroying your life.
I'd say that is 75%-95% correct.

"It is more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones"
----Calvin Coolidge
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Have you always been interested in politics and current events?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:33:52 AM »
Pretty much.

I got involved because I was concerned about taxes, second amendment, etc.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36:42 AM »
Only in the past few years.  The PATRIOT act really pushed me over the edge.  I turned in my Republican card, and now I find myself frequently in heated debates on political matters.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:46:33 AM »
Not really.  Back in the 80's we went to town for our monthly shopping trip, and overheard on a radio playing at a store that the US was at war - turned out to be the Grenada invasion.

Since the President rarely called me to ask for my opinon on what he should do, I figured what difference does it make?

Well, it DOES make a difference ... since keeping up on the news better I have become much more cynical and depressed Wink

"You only get interested in politics in order to stop the other people who are interested in politics from taking your money or destroying your life."

True, EXCEPT for the people who are involved in politics in order to take your money and destroy your life Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »
My interest in politics began to grow back in the 1980's, when it was clear what the anti-gunners were trying to do. Now politics consumes an enormous amount of my time.

While it's frustrating, I do feel that I've helped make a difference. At the very least, I helped get a true Constitutionalist into the Wisconsin state Senate.

Early this year, the city council had public meetings about a road project in our area. I went to every meeting, voiced every objection that I could, talked to the mayor, my alderman, the city engineer, etc.

Now that our area looks like Fallujah on a good day, and that peoples' walls are cracked from the vibration of the heavy equipment, and the non-stop pounding and beeping and roaring are driving everyone insane...people are mad. And I make no bones about reminding them that they could have attended the meetings to find out what was coming.

If you choose not to be involved in politics, you leave your fate in the hands of someone who is involved.