Author Topic: Ebony Alert  (Read 4079 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ebony Alert
« on: October 11, 2023, 04:35:20 PM »
Effective 01JAN24, California will have an "Ebony Alert", which is an Amber Alert, but only for black women and children.

“The Ebony Alert will ensure that vital resources and attention are given so we can bring home missing Black children and women in the same way we search for any missing child and missing person,” Bradford said in the release.

I wasn't aware that there were previously two different methodologies for implementing an Amber Alert, based on race. Though there apparently will be now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/10/11/ebony-alert-missing-black/71139957007/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Ebony Alert
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 04:38:47 PM »
How... progressive.

Amber Alerts here go off for mexican kids, white kids, black kids, asian kids... probably even eskimo kids and aboriginal kids if any of those are kidnapped in Arizona.  I guess we're really backwards and need to let everyone know the race of the child by the name of the alert.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 04:42:35 PM »
From the Article:

This isn't California's first alert to address racial disparities in missing people of color. Newsom signed the Feather Alert bill last year that Assemblymember James C. Ramos, D-San Bernardino, a citizen of the Serrano/Cahuilla tribe, wrote to help locate endangered Indigenous people.

A Feather Alert? Seriously?  How is that not offensive to the people who can't allow a high school football team to have an indigenous mascot? 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 05:44:38 PM »
Effective 01JAN24, California will have an "Ebony Alert", which is an Amber Alert, but only for black women and children.

So if we pay about as much attention to an Ebony alert as we do for any other alert is that racist?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 06:16:58 PM »
Well, better that a Watermelondrea or a Da'Quonde Alert!   ;)

bob

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 10:21:37 PM »
Do black people get insulted by this type of moronic pandering? 

;/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 10:51:02 PM by Pb »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 07:46:20 AM »
Will they refer to the different types of ebony wood for these alerts in recognition of the differences in actual complexion of "black" people? It seems that it would be RACIST to ignore those differences. Ebony from Gabon differs from that of Ceylon, which in turn is different from Indonesia. Shouldn't these differences be celebrated?

Hmmm . . .how about missing Orientals? Would making a "Yellowwood Alert" be respectful or offensive? (That's a real tree - https://mortonarb.org/plant-and-protect/trees-and-plants/yellowwood/)

Missing Native Americans? Redwood Alert, of course. More inclusive than Feather Alert. (Weren't feathers in head dresses & war bonnets awarded for achievements?)

And of course it would be a Whitewood Alert (whitewood comes from the tulip tree) for most people of European ancestry. (But Swedes tend to look a little different from Italians, so perhaps we'd have to find more trees.)

Hmmm . . . more trees. Maybe I can get a government grant to study this - $10,000,000 should be enough to get me started. I think I'll start the Anti-Racist Arbor Foundation for Diverse Inclusive Equity and apply for funding.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 07:58:07 AM »
Do black people people insulted by this type of moronic pandering? 

;/

You'll have to ask an African-Canadian about that, because an African-American can't do *expletive deleted*it about other than complain on the Internet.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 12:43:29 PM »
And what about milk cartons?  Will Ebony Alerts only appear on chocolate milk containers?

Terry, 230RN, runs and hides.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 09:36:29 PM »
And what about milk cartons?  Will Ebony Alerts only appear on chocolate milk containers?

If Trump disappears will his face start appearing on orange juice cartons, or are those reserved in case OJ Simpson goes missing?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 02:50:25 AM »
Are these alerts posted using Ebonics?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 05:06:43 AM »

Movie "Airplane:"

https://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s

Trivium: The Jive Lady was Barbara Billingsley, who played June Clever in "Leave It To Beaver."  I understand that Jive scene was  the last role she played.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 01:01:57 PM »

Trivium: The Jive Lady was Barbara Billingsley, who played June Clever in "Leave It To Beaver."  I understand that Jive scene was  the last role she played.

VERY familiar with the movie. Took my now wife to see it, it had just come out, on a blind date. Married her a year to the minute later. Watched it many times since.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 07:35:40 PM »

Probably Colt 45 and ripple bottles. 

Searches for a good hiding place….

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 12:07:05 AM »

I thought I read that the scene resuscitated her career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Billingsley

When production of the show ended in 1963, Billingsley had become typecast and had trouble obtaining acting jobs for years. She traveled extensively abroad until the late 1970s. After an absence of 17 years from the public eye (other than appearing in two episodes of The F.B.I. in 1971), she spoofed her wholesome image with a brief appearance in the comedy Airplane! (1980) as a passenger who could "speak jive." She said the role gave her as much publicity as Beaver and revived her career.

... Billingsley's final film role was as Aunt Martha in the 1997 film version of Leave It to Beaver. She made her final onscreen appearance in the 2003 television movie Secret Santa
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 10:19:50 PM »
Hmmm.  My recollection may be from info between that role and a revival.  (Perhaps a misreading of "her last role," meaning her "latest role.") Thanks!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2023, 12:40:32 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2023, 07:49:48 AM »

What was it, 5, 10 years ago when Ebonics was being touted as the single most culturally significant datum point for the black experience in the United States, and that it should be recognized as its own unique language, and it should be studied, and promoted, and protected, and taught in schools, and soon it would be the predominant language IN inner city schools, and should be recognized by the government and encouraged, and blah blah blah blah blah as if it was some collective identity of ALL blacks in America...

I forget who the comedian was (Chris Rock? maybe?) who was talking about it and basically said it was "lazy city N" talk that no one outside of the city could understand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 09:22:22 AM »
Ebonics is actually pretty much old-time Southern accents, both white and black... including saying "axe" for "ask"... I do agree it doesn't sound great to outsiders though.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 10:07:36 AM »
Ebonics is actually pretty much old-time poor Southern accents, both white and black... including saying "axe" for "ask"... I do agree it doesn't sound great to outsiders though.

FIFY.  That accent won't fly among the genteel of the South.  Ebonics is sharecropper talk.

ETA: My Great-Grandparents, who WERE sharecroppers, were so annoyed by the class of folks with that accent that they took great pins to adjust the whole family to a more "hillbilly" or coastal south accent, which my Grandfather maintained until his death.  Specifically if you said "Let me axe you sumptin" in their house you'd get a thump on the back of the head.  Getting rid of that poor Georgia/Alabama farmer way of talking was a big deal to them.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2023, 01:04:07 AM »
That accent won't fly among the genteel of the South.  Ebonics is sharecropper talk.

A long time ago (before your great grandparent's time), "ebonics" was the accent of the genteel in the South.  It originated in England.  "Axe" for "ask" is even in Chaucer. 

Accents change.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2023, 02:06:45 AM »
Real Cajuns talk like that as well.
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2023, 08:47:45 AM »
And where did tens of thousands of those poor sharecroppers end up? In the inner cities.

World War II saw one of the largest black migrations in history as poor rural Southern blacks moved en masse to cities all over the country looking for work in the war industry. They took their language patters with them, spreading them nation wide. Because of segregation and racism, many of those blacks clustered in small enclaves in the cities, further reinforcing the language patterns that they brought from the south.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2023, 09:22:51 AM »
If you want to preserve your people and keep your land, pick your own damn cotton.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »
Some people still seem intent on preserving some of these language patterns - the dialog during the first 10 or 15 minutes of Marvel's recent Black Panther movie really would have benefited from having Barbara Billingsley's Airplane character there to translate.

Or subtitles.