Author Topic: So I Went To Install The Fireplace...  (Read 3786 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
So I Went To Install The Fireplace...
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »
in the "addition." Jose was on-site finishing the neighbor's addition job I got him and he and his helper helped me carry it down from the shop. It's a rather large propane direct-vent type and I had planned to install it against the wall in the garden room (12' x 20') on a side wall between floor-to-ceiling windows already finished, then build some type of enclosure around it depending on SWMBO's taste at the time.

Her reaction? "It sticks out into the room too far."

Thud.

Now I have to cut into a completely finished wall--inside and outside-- and add an addition to the addition. Everything, from footers, block foundation, stud wall and roof extension. Drywall inside to be finished, wiring to be moved, gas pipe to be moved.

And at the end, I'll have created an addition of--get this-- TEN SQUARE FEET! Aargh!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: So I Went To Install The Fireplace...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
I feel your pain, Leatherneck.  Our ladies are not called SWMBO for nothing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
Take the pants away from her, put them on, and put your foot down. 

You got somewhere to sleep for the next few days?   =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
Meh, I'm guessing it's 2x5 feet?  does it really stick out that far?  12'x20' is a pretty big room.

Now I have to cut into a completely finished wall--inside and outside-- and add an addition to the addition. Everything, from footers, block foundation, stud wall and roof extension. Drywall inside to be finished, wiring to be moved, gas pipe to be moved.

Screw that, that is a lot of work there, how are you going to move the wiring?  You'd almost just have to run new wire. ( I guess you could splice it in a box, but that's kind of ghetto)  The problem was talking to her about it before installing it.  Next time don't discuss, just do it!!

The real question is "What is a bigger hassle, the extra work or listening to the woman complain about it?"!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »
Q:How can you tell a woman is complaining?

A: Her lips are moving.

*ducks for cover*
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
Q:How can you tell a woman is complaining?

A: Her lips are moving.

*ducks for cover*

If a woman cannot manage to augment that with non-verbal complaints, she isn't trying hard enough.  There's really no way to measure exactly when you guys are falling short.  Just assume at all times that we are not happy.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
dog at the back door barking wife at the front door pounding which one do you let in first. and why?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
I handled a similar situation with my wife thusly:

"If you want it changed, you can pay for it."

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
Our ladies are not called SWMBO for nothing.

My ex-wife said it was her or the guns. That was in 1980. I still have the guns.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »
dog at the back door barking wife at the front door pounding which one do you let in first. and why?
The dog of course. the dog will be glad to see you and stop barking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »
The dog of course. the dog will be glad to see you and stop barking.

It'll lick your face too.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »
Great.  Just great.

Thanks, guys.

When my wife hears me laughing while I'm reading, she "asks" me to read whatever was funny out loud.
Now I'm in trouble for what you guys said.

And a big, special "thanks" to you, C&SDaddy!   =(
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:31:03 PM »
My ex-wife said it was her or the guns. That was in 1980. I still have the guns.

You're my hero more every day.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:23 AM »
Bridgewalker: can I marry you? ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
The real question is "What is a bigger hassle, the extra work or listening to the woman complain about it?"!

Perzackly. It'll get done.I'm just gobsmacked by how much work it will take for a 43" x 25" bump-out.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:01 AM »
can you get away with building some kinda surround on the interior?  a builtin bookcase or entertainment center?  or even a stone hearth? to give the illusion its more flush with wall?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 07:28:55 AM »
Remember:  It is always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.   =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »
It'll lick your face too.

And happily follow you as you jump the fence and head for the woods...

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
My original plan was to build a fireplace surround with raised hearth, but she insists that it will encroach too far into her planned living area. She pictures room layouts with certain articles of furniture, but not from plans (which would be easy to modify on paper) or even until the room is trimmed out. At which time, of course, any modification requires demo and ground-up construction on my part. If I actually react hard and fast at the first mention of such rework, she'll back off, generally with grace. Or at least minimal griping.

So I've got the plan drawn and all I have to do is index the outside location to the inside and start digging. And mixing. And pouring. And blocking. And framing. And siding. And roofing. And electric-moving. And, well, you get the idea.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
You can't just cantilever it out off of the floor joists?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
Wow, where's the whipped smilie? I have a fairly low tolerance for having stupid and/or pointless work created for me. Just do it the original way and let her get over it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. The joists are oriented right.

Her one concern (with my plan to side it identically with the house, i.e.,hardy plank painted gray) has been that it not look "like a tract house chimney." Therefore, a river rock facing is necessary. The woman has good taste, I've got to admit. Maybe I could get her to put me on an hourly wage?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »
Balog, I hear you. But I do love her and want to make her happy. I guess I'm just dragging my cross around a bit here... =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
Leather: I meant to put a :P in there, so don't think I was being mean.

I too love my wife and want to make her happy. She just happens to really love me and wants to make me happy. Hence she's pretty reasonable about asking for that sort of thing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 05:11:16 PM »
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. The joists are oriented right.

Her one concern (with my plan to side it identically with the house, i.e.,hardy plank painted gray) has been that it not look "like a tract house chimney." Therefore, a river rock facing is necessary. The woman has good taste, I've got to admit. Maybe I could get her to put me on an hourly wage?

TC

It's a lot easier to cantilever than to do dirt work.  Having the joists oriented right is a bonus and reduces the cutting required in the crawlspace.

Putting rock on it will make it look Colonial.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."