Author Topic: The typical IT worker: info from the WSJ  (Read 5711 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: The typical IT worker: info from the WSJ
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
The only C I've really written was on microcontrollers, where you usually change register values directly and it doesn't get much more global than that. I suppose I'm ruined now for "big iron".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
The only C I've really written was on microcontrollers, where you usually change register values directly and it doesn't get much more global than that. I suppose I'm ruined now for "big iron".

Yeah, I worked on the cert for an O/S board support, trying to reverse engineer requirements.

Most of the functions wrote a series of values to the same register location, to program the I/O device.  So there was no way to test the software because there was no way to determine a single result value for a register.  :facepalm:

I think most of the registers returned to zero after accepting the input anyway  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
Also means they can't be promoted or transferred.

I knew a contractor that pulled that game. He hardcoded EVERYTHING, and I believe he intentionally would strip comments before pushing to the server.
In some fields, you're more likely to be outsourced than promoted.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
In some fields, you're more likely to be outsourced than promoted.

As a contractor, I'm lucky if I get called back to do the revision/update on it a few years later.  :cool:

If I'm really not lucky, I get called back to do the second revision/update on it after a bunch of fools have mucked it up on the first revision   :facepalm:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin