Author Topic: Half of all Americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic  (Read 2350 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Half of all Americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
Shouldn't that be the cookie aisle instead of sporting goods?   ???
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
Shouldn't that be the cookie aisle instead of sporting goods?   ???

They need coolers to store their insulin.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
They need coolers to store their insulin.

Along with their Pepsi and Ho-Hos. ;)

bob

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
<-42, 5'10", 175lbs, probably in better shape than most on this board (gym, bike, and running today), and I'm pre-diabetic.

It runs in the family.  My dad developed full Type 2 diabetes by his mid 40s (he's still alive in his mid 60s, but it's obviously affecting him).  I'm in better shape than he was when he was diagnosed, but I'm sure it's waiting for me too.  My paternal grandfather also had Type 2 diabetes, but his came later in life.

I also eat like crap.  I'm better, but I still have a sweet tooth and love my cookies, cake, pie, and such.  I'm not too bad with actual candy and I don't drink soda.  I've been pretty good about reducing or eliminating white flour, white potatoes, most starches, etc, but I still have "benders" where I eat way too much of that crap.

I have to wonder if some of our national weight and diabetes problems aren't related to how food has changed over the last couple decades.  I know we're more sedentary than we used to be, but I don't recall there being so many morbidly obese people or fat kids when I was a kid.  It's almost as if the food itself is bad. 

Chris

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:24 PM »
<-42, 5'10", 175lbs, probably in better shape than most on this board (gym, bike, and running today), and I'm pre-diabetic.

It runs in the family.  My dad developed full Type 2 diabetes by his mid 40s (he's still alive in his mid 60s, but it's obviously affecting him).  I'm in better shape than he was when he was diagnosed, but I'm sure it's waiting for me too.  My paternal grandfather also had Type 2 diabetes, but his came later in life.

I also eat like crap.  I'm better, but I still have a sweet tooth and love my cookies, cake, pie, and such.  I'm not too bad with actual candy and I don't drink soda.  I've been pretty good about reducing or eliminating white flour, white potatoes, most starches, etc, but I still have "benders" where I eat way too much of that crap.

I have to wonder if some of our national weight and diabetes problems aren't related to how food has changed over the last couple decades.  I know we're more sedentary than we used to be, but I don't recall there being so many morbidly obese people or fat kids when I was a kid.  It's almost as if the food itself is bad. 

Chris

If I could find the mofo who came up with the old food pyramid I'd kick his ass.  Those cookies and all the pasta, bread and other crap that got passed off as "low fat" caused a lot of diabetes.  Sent from a pre diabetic who has discovered vegetables and low GI foods.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »

Chris

Same age, somewhat overweight, more muscular than fat, pre diabetic.
I also remember how rare overweight kids were, let alone mirbidly obese- and we drank kool-aid by the gallon daily, which was like 4 cups of sugar per pitcher.
I also think HFCS is pure poison, regardless of what the corn lobby shills say.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:46:16 PM »
Same age, somewhat overweight, more muscular than fat, pre diabetic.
I also remember how rare overweight kids were, let alone mirbidly obese- and we drank kool-aid by the gallon daily, which was like 4 cups of sugar per pitcher.
I also think HFCS is pure poison, regardless of what the corn lobby shills say.

1 cup of sugar per pitcher, just like the sweet tea my family drank by the gallon.  The difference between then and now is we used to ride bicycles everywhere -- and they were heavy bikes with soft tires.  Now everyone just rides in air conditioned cars or otherwise sits on their butts all day.

HFCS is pretty much the same thing as regular sugar (and honey is not much better.)  It's all bad.  And it tastes yummy.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »

The explosive growth of people who'd rather go out to eat for most or every meal than cook for themselves is a major factor IMHO, plus the massive amounts of junk food people eat does not help at all.

When I was a kid eating at a fast food place was maybe a once a week treat, if that. And family dinners at a restaurant happened only a few times per year because Dad hated going out to eat. Otherwise it was breakfast at home, lunch was either brought from home or purchased from the school, and Mom cooked dinner at home. And let me tell you, by no means were Mom's dinners healthy rabbit food bullshit, they were real country dinners, but they were prepared from scratch and not processed. None of us kids are diabetic or probably will be so long as we don't go way overboard on soda and candy and fast food.

The classmates I had that their parents did not cook and instead they ate meals out all the time, and had fast food after school every day, well they were the ones that had issues. it did not help that the majority of my classmates who did not play sports went right home and plopped down in front of the cable TV or Playstation/Nintendo till they went to bed- even the local orphanage (which consists of a bunch of foster families in a subdivision style community) looks damn near deserted, when Mom said that during her day the kids were always outside during the afternoon playing.

On the other hand, when you look back at this century's history people may generally have been skinnier decades ago but they were not necessarily healthy- the Great Depression meant that people's diets suffered and it showed.

Two sides to every coin. Our great wealth of food is not without consequences.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:32 PM »
Meh...

I'm 36 5-10 and 195.
I don't eat great but I don't eat horribly.
Lunch at work revolves around pizza, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, or just sandwiches almost no fast food. Five guys every 2 weeks or so. Nothing to horrible for you.
Dinner could be whatever, But I make almost everything from scratch.
I'm trying to do more and more. I've been canning for a few years I want to start doing more meals in a jar type stuff. I did beef and veggie soup that was great. Started baking bread (do it more in the winter though) Some white flower of course. But I like rye and some whole grain.
Made home made pasta. Made mozzarella cheese from a gallon of milk, want to try making more cheeses.
If I use fat I use the good stuff, real butter veg oil, olive oil, etc.

Still can't get the bacon to grow in the garden for some reason.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »

Chris

My wife is pre-diabetic and she literally works out for a living and eats healthier than >%90 of Americans. Sometimes it is what it is.

And you're right, the food (or more specifically the food pyramid and the anti-fat hysteria) is different and worse.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
It's worth noting that it is very, very difficult to cut sugar out of a diet. It's in everything from spaghetti sauce to processed meats. Fresh fruit and veggies are damned expensive, and so is most raw meat. Shelf stable highly processed carbs are the only thing that is affordable. Eating healthy is really effing expensive as well as more time consuming to plan procure and prepare.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
It's worth noting that it is very, very difficult to cut sugar out of a diet. It's in everything from spaghetti sauce to processed meats. Fresh fruit and veggies are damned expensive, and so is most raw meat. Shelf stable highly processed carbs are the only thing that is affordable. Eating healthy is really effing expensive as well as more time consuming to plan procure and prepare.
I'll disagree.
Its how you buy. I for the most part only eat fresh veggies when there from my garden or in season. I cook with frozen stuff all winter that I don't have.
Like chicken buy the whole bird. Much cheaper. Or get just the thighs, much taster then the breast anyway.
Beef get some of the rougher cuts and slow cook. I like a steak just like everyone else but rarely buy them.
Don't buy spaghetti sauce.  Buy canned crushed tomatoes. Brown up onions garlic add can add spices and eat.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 12:17:12 AM »
I'll disagree.
Its how you buy. I for the most part only eat fresh veggies when there from my garden or in season. I cook with frozen stuff all winter that I don't have.
Like chicken buy the whole bird. Much cheaper. Or get just the thighs, much taster then the breast anyway.
Beef get some of the rougher cuts and slow cook. I like a steak just like everyone else but rarely buy them.
Don't buy spaghetti sauce.  Buy canned crushed tomatoes. Brown up onions garlic add can add spices and eat.

1. That goes to my "more time consuming" comment.
2. It's still more expensive than over processed carbs.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:31 AM »
If you know how to cook it's not hard or horribly expensive. Our modern western dietary preferences are expensive.

I will also agree that the food pyramid is and was BS. Fats aren't a problem. Excess and highly processed fats, you know the ones everyone switched to when lard was demonized, are horrible for you. Carbs aren't horrible for you. It's the stupid refined (and I'm not speaking strictly in terms of whole wheat vs white flour here) carbs with zero nutritional value left that are horrible for you. Sugar isn't bad for you either. It's the stupid quantities we ingest that are bad for us. Largely as a result of highly processed *expletive deleted*it ingredients loaded with salt and sugar to make them taste good again.

In short IMO it's much more about excess quantity and over processed garbage than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 03:45:10 AM »
Interesting thread came back from the doc today diagnosed pre-diabetic changes to my eating habits are about to happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Interesting thread came back from the doc today diagnosed pre-diabetic changes to my eating habits are about to happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A year and a half ago, when it was determined I "might be pre-diabetic", I went whole hog on the dietary changes and ramped up on the exercise.  I lost nearly 30lbs, and improved most fitness and health metrics significantly.

My A1C remained nearly the same the same (may have improved .1) when checked a year later.  :mad:

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
If you know how to cook it's not hard or horribly expensive.

People always glibly assert this in these discussions but it has definitely not been my experience.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
People always glibly assert this in these discussions but it has definitely not been my experience.

Yup.  I like to cook and experiment with new ingredients.  I live in a fairly diverse area with many ethnic food stores or stores that cater to different ethnic groups.  It didn't take me long to run through most of my options in the produce department before all that was left were the high starch foods I'm supposed to avoid.

Then there is the issue with trying to do twice-monthly grocery runs and not having your fresh produce go bad before you can use it.  Yeah, I can buy just for a day or two, but it makes menu planning difficult.  It's also tough to keep the fridge stocked when you're dealing with jobs, commutes, kids in school, etc on top of grocery runs.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
A year and a half ago, when it was determined I "might be pre-diabetic", I went whole hog on the dietary changes and ramped up on the exercise.  I lost nearly 30lbs, and improved most fitness and health metrics significantly.

My A1C remained nearly the same the same (may have improved .1) when checked a year later.  :mad:

Chris
Sssshhhhh.  They just re-defined the acceptable levels.  It is supposed to be a secret. 

How do you sell more pills?  Lower the bar so far that half of America is unhealthy according to the new standard.  Same thing with cholesterol.  The limit on that used to be 200.  I think it is down below 150 now. 

I do realize that a lot of Americans are unhealthy, but half is a bit high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »
Yup.  I like to cook and experiment with new ingredients.  I live in a fairly diverse area with many ethnic food stores or stores that cater to different ethnic groups.  It didn't take me long to run through most of my options in the produce department before all that was left were the high starch foods I'm supposed to avoid.
Are you saying all you preferred to eat was the high starch foods or that those were all that was available?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
Sssshhhhh.  They just re-defined the acceptable levels.  It is supposed to be a secret. 

How do you sell more pills?  Lower the bar so far that half of America is unhealthy according to the new standard.  Same thing with cholesterol.  The limit on that used to be 200.  I think it is down below 150 now. 

I do realize that a lot of Americans are unhealthy, but half is a bit high.

My doc didn't put me on cholesterol meds until I was over 200 even after dietary and weight changes.  He hasn't put me on anything for blood sugar.  I don't know if my A1C is higher than it was historically as I only paid attention to the fasting number (always in the high 90s, but now right at 100), but it's high enough for him to comment and strongly suggest I change my diet.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Are you saying all you preferred to eat was the high starch foods or that those were all that was available?

I'm saying that I've exhausted the commonly available non-high-starch foods in the fresh produce section of the store. 

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »

Really?  That might explain it.

Last visit to my primary care physician, he starts going on about me being diabetic.  "Wait, wait,when did that happen?"  My numbers are up a bit from last year, apparantly enough to put me over that line.   =(

Except, I had a copy of the test results sent to me as well.  Per the scale printed on that, I'm up, but still "pre-diabetic".

It's genetic.  On Mom's side, my grandma and one uncle were diabetic.  And, come to find out recently, the grandfather that died in '66 or '67, "was diabetic and never told anyone."   :facepalm:

And the accursed medication that pushes my PSA down (  =D ), by supressing testosterone ( =(  ), raises blood sugar and cholsterol. 

Supposedly controlled.  I won't hurt me to pass by cookies and donuts and the like.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Certain statins (cholesterol meds) raise blood glucose levels.  Ever since I started them, my blood glucose varies between 99 and 110 or so. It was lower before I started statins.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.