Author Topic: Minor police encounter last night  (Read 1967 times)

HForrest

Minor police encounter last night
« on: December 14, 2006, 07:16:55 AM »
Last night, I had my radio scanner on, set to the local police frequency. I listen to police radio often, it's interesting sometimes. Anyway, I heard something about a flag being on fire at the high school 3 houses down from me. Police had already responded, and everything was under control, etc. I was bored, and mildly interested to see what was happening, considering it was just a short stroll up the street. I assumed it would be in this lower parking lot area of the school, which is fairly removed from the street... I could just pass by on the sidewalk without getting near anything happening.

After walking up towards this bridge directly in front of the school, I realized the cops were actually right on the street, right across the bridge. Just a few cars, flashing lights weren't on. I would have just turned around, but I was at a point where doing so would appear highly suspicious. I was pretty sure one of the officers saw me, and I knew they were looking for the people who set the flag on fire, so I didn't want to instantly turn around and act as if I needed to avoid the police. I decided I'd continue on the sidewalk, and calmly walk past them.

As I got to the end of the bridge, an officer shined a light on me from across the street. I looked up, and this officer ran across the road toward me.

"Hey, you? What's your name?!" she had a highly confrontational tone.
I politely replied.
"Where are we comin' from, tonight, Henry?" In that sarcastic, "you punk" kind of manner.
I told her I lived right down the street.
"You got anything to do with burning this flag?"
"No..."
Then she asked where I was heading, and unfortunately I hadn't thought ahead to come up with something in advance. I was honest and told her I saw activity up here, and was wondering what was going on (Didn't mention the scanner).

Referring to the flag, she remarked "Pretty rotten thing to do, don't you think? Pretty disrespectful."

"Uh, yeah... I don't, um, support it or anything", and it pretty much ended right there... I went back on my way.

Now, this whole time she was shining this bright light in my face. I understand that's a common procedure, but I couldn't see who I was talking to, and it's weird and annoying to have to talk to a blinding light. She wasn't so uptite towards the end, but was fairly rude to me overall. I wasn't doing anything wrong, there was no reason to believe I was. There were no flashing lights, and it wasn't clear that anything I should have stayed away from was happening. I had every right to walk up the street, and I don't think I deserved the kind of scrutiny or accusational tone I received.

This town has way too many police for its size.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Re: Minor police encounter last night
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:28:50 AM »
Wow, she almost cracked The Big Flag-Burning of Ought-Six!

Why would someone burn a flag and then run away?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:38:48 AM »
Far as I'm concerned, the difference between a good cop and a bad cop is the ability to do his/her job without being rude or turning things into a pissing contest.  Most cops are bad cops.

There's nothing wrong with asking a cop to shine her light elsewhere, or putting you hand up to shade your eyes from the light, or even pulling out your own light and lighting up her face.  Reasonable people don't mind that you prefer to converse with a person instead blinding white spot.  There's also nothing wrong with simply shutting up or walking away mid-conversation, if you don't like the direction things are headed.  She probably wouldn't like any of that, but that's her problem. 

If she wanted you to be polite and civil to her, she should have been polite and civil with you.

HForrest

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »
Heh. I'm having fun imagining what would have happened if I'd whipped out my Surefire and blinded her with it.  shocked  grin

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
Far as I'm concerned, the difference between a good cop and a bad cop is the ability to do his/her job without being rude or turning things into a pissing contest.  Most cops are bad cops.

Yes, yes they are.  Part of the reason I really don't like cops, even though I'm a very law abiding person.

There's also nothing wrong with simply shutting up or walking away mid-conversation, if you don't like the direction things are headed.

Ahhh, but CAN you?  This is a loaded, leading question, but I am seriously asking it.  There are so many exceptions for Terry stops and probable causes and suspicious persons and officer safety these days.  If a cop accosts me on the street, can I just walk away?  Esp if a crime has been committed and the officer could claim I was a possible suspect?

Heh. I'm having fun imagining what would have happened if I'd whipped out my Surefire and blinded her with it.

*BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG*
*click click (reload)*
*BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG*
(simulates a Glock 22 with one round in the chamber and a full reload)

That's what _I_ imagine happening.  Cops these days and all.  Though, in fairness, there is a certain logic towards not pulling things out of your pocket without warning around cops.   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:26:06 AM »
If you were truly a man you would have immediately drawn your tacticool supersubcompact H&K USP .45 ACP, fitted with thermal imaging and low-light sights and loaded with depleted uranium, tyrany-seeking bulletz, and immediately put an end to this nanny government hyper oppression...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HForrest

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 08:41:20 AM »
Totally.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:45:27 AM »
Heh. I'm having fun imagining what would have happened if I'd whipped out my Surefire and blinded her with it.  shocked  grin

No trouble imagining it at all for me
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4850626
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »
On a serious note, I once did tell an officer to get his *$(^(&$)(*T^ light out of my $*()()&^(*)&#$&^^ eyes.

In a very pleasant and conversational tone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:52:51 AM »
I just have to say the editorializing in that New York story is appalling. 

I'm having fun imagining what would have happened if I'd whipped out my Surefire and blinded her with it.
She thought she was interviewing a suspect, so pulling a small, black object on her would have been very dangerous.  Of course, why a guilty person would be walking toward her instead of away is puzzling. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »
Next time just tell the nice officer that you heard the commotion on your scanner and you wanted to see what was going on. Unless there is some law against using a scanner that way that should have been it.

BTW...Never, ever get into a pissing contest with a LEO because 99.9999999999% of the time the LEO will be going that night while you are cooling off in the pokey waiting to talk to a judge.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:18:30 AM »
I just have to say the editorializing in that New York story is appalling. 

I'm having fun imagining what would have happened if I'd whipped out my Surefire and blinded her with it.
She thought she was interviewing a suspect, so pulling a small, black object on her would have been very dangerous.  Of course, why a guilty person would be walking toward her instead of away is puzzling. 

Never forget, many guilty people... are DUMB!

Especially that kind of arson thing, they light it and run to avoid getting caught in the act, but what's the fun of lighting something on fire and not watching it burn?  So they cruise back by.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 10:04:02 AM »
Yeah, I forgot about that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:09 PM »

You'd likely be arrested on the spot for assault on a public servant.  sad  police
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »
Even better, take yours out slowly and shine it into your own eyes.

When she asks why you're doing that, ask her why she is.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 01:09:38 PM »

Now that would be funny.  Especially if you shined it up from under your face and talked like Vincent Price.
For entertainment purposes only.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 01:55:03 PM »

Now that would be funny.  Especially if you shined it up from under your face and talked like Vincent Price.

LMAO laugh
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »
Going out to "take a look" was a bad idea  grin  You're lucky you didn't get capped!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 03:26:49 AM »
Yeah, stay in front of the telescreen from now on. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 03:32:14 AM »
I'm confused, and also ignorant.

You were at the scene of a crime, and wonder why the police questioned you?

It's also nightime, which usually = dark out.

You were at the scene of a crime at night and wonder why the cops put a flashlight on you?

What am I missing?
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 04:21:24 AM »
Oh, and Combat-

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong by going to investigate, that's human nature.

But I don't think the cop did either.
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 05:03:49 AM »
But hole, the cop should have know that he was innocent just by the fact that he is he...

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 05:06:54 AM »
But hole or butthole?

Just kidding.  Mike, that you for setting me straight...I now see the error of my ways...
One day at a time.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 06:34:49 AM »
There is a difference between "being at the scene of a crime" (say, being there when the cops arrive) and walking up on one, down an open public street, in a residential area, even at night (he didn't say it was later than a "normal" time to be up and about).

There's a distinct difference between an officer shining a flashlight at you to look you over and then pointing it at your chest as they politely talk to you; and holding it in your face, after no obvious threat is seen, and starting out with an aggressive and confrontational  tone.  Particularly when it wasn't a crime against a person (flag, not occupied building arson) and was after the fact.

We're supposed to come look and see what's going on in our neighborhoods, that's citizenship, we don't need to be treated aggressively by police out of the gate for doing so.

That's an attitude and mindset problem on their part.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 07:00:14 AM »
I generally agree, carebear, but it's usually best to stay out of the way of law enforcement when they're at work.  It seems to me, they don't usually need extra variables to worry about, such as wombats just wandering by.  Get involved if you can help, sure, but if you can't help, you're just giving them something else to worry about.