Author Topic: Can this be possible?  (Read 2903 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Can this be possible?
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
Probably most of you are aware of Wal-Mart's house brand, Equate, that they stick on various products that are clones of more expensive, name brand stuff, right? Can it be that the Equate clone of Slim-Fast is actually healthier than the name brand?

My cardiologist wants me to lose at least 25 pounds, and I've plateaued so I've taken to using the Equate version of Slim-Fast diet shakes as breakfast at least a couple of days a week. There are only three flavors. I'm not allowed any chocolate (at all), and I don't like the "strawberry" flavor, so that leaves French Vanilla. Last time I was in Wally World, they were out of the Equate so I splurged and bought Slim-Fast. When I got home I compared the nutritional data, and what I found surprised me. The Equate is not a straight, across-the-board clone.

Total fat: equal, at 6 grams. But ...

Saturated fat: Equate 0, Slim-Fast 1.5 g
Trans fat: Both 0
Monounsaturated fat: Equate 3.5 g, Slim-Fast not specified
Polyunsaturated fat: Equate 1.5 g, Slim-Fast not specified
Cholesterol: Equate <5 mg, Slim-Fast 10 mg
Sodium: Equate 180 mg, Slim-Fast 210 mg
Potassium: Equate 670 mg, Slim-Fast 600 mg

From there on (the vitamins and minerals) they're pretty much the same. The Wal-Mart house brand stuff has less cholesterol, less saturated fat, and less sodium. For half the price of Slim-Fast, what's not to like?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Can this be possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Not familiar with the Walmart stuff, but certainly the Costco house brand, Kirkland, constantly rules over a lot of name brand stuff and is much less expensive.

It's been a couple of years, but I read an article where this is becoming more common regarding house brands, and giving the name brands a run for their money. Some actually look at Kirkland as a "name brand" to beat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
I buy a lot of Equate/Great Value stuff. Have found it to be pretty decent quality stuff.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
We do the Equate Excedrin'ish stuff. Those 7 dollar bottles of Excedrin Migraine come in at about 4 bucks for a twin pack of Equate. It pays off to compare some Equate stuff to the brand name.

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »
But what's the sugar content?
Fats aren't the be all and end all for weight loss, and refined sugars will kill you faster than fats.
Too much sugar will make you fatter than transfats.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
Google to the rescue.
18g sugars per serving.

👎
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
Google to the rescue.
18g sugars per serving.

👎

That's a lot. Even Muscle Milk only has 2g.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »
That's a lot. Even Muscle Milk only has 2g.

Different animal. Muscle milk is a body building supplement. Slim-Fast is a meal replacement for weight loss.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Different animal. Muscle milk is a body building supplement. Slim-Fast is a meal replacement for weight loss.

And it's full of sugar.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
Fat doesn't make you fat.  Sugar does. You could eat real food and do better than this crap.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
And it's full of sugar.

Huh? 2g<18g.

That said, I usually just eat a banana and have a small glass of milk post workout.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:29 PM »

Huh? 2g<18g.

That said, I usually just eat a banana and have a small glass of milk post workout.

No I was referring back to the half-a-snickers in a can, aka knock-off-slimfast.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
No I was referring back to the half-a-snickers in a can, aka knock-off-slimfast.

:laugh:

Got it, I thought you were replying to me. Carry on. :)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:51:30 AM »
Not familiar with the Walmart stuff, but certainly the Costco house brand, Kirkland, constantly rules over a lot of name brand stuff and is much less expensive.

It's been a couple of years, but I read an article where this is becoming more common regarding house brands, and giving the name brands a run for their money. Some actually look at Kirkland as a "name brand" to beat.

I've noticed this with the "Kroger" house brand of "City Market" and "King Soopers," etc. Most "Kroger" brand stuff is at least as good as the regular well-known brands.  Only once do I recall being disappointed with an item, IIRC, a frozen vegetable.  (But knowing me, it was probably wayyyy out of date.)  And they seem to enforce their high "customer courtesy" standards with an iron fist. :D

Only problem I have with them is they move stuff around a lot, making it hard to find sometimes.  I was told that was because they rent out shelf space to the various stocking vendors.  I'm not sure why this would result in the shifting, but that's what I was told and I let it go.

Besides, it's fun to terrorize the ambulatory customers while zooming around in their electric carts to find something they've moved.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
I've noticed this with the "Kroger" house brand of "City Market" and "King Soopers," etc. Most "Kroger" brand stuff is at least as good as the regular well-known brands.  Only once do I recall being disappointed with an item, IIRC, a frozen vegetable.  (But knowing me, it was probably wayyyy out of date.)  And they seem to enforce their high "customer courtesy" standards with an iron fist. :D

Only problem I have with them is they move stuff around a lot, making it hard to find sometimes.  I was told that was because they rent out shelf space to the various stocking vendors.  I'm not sure why this would result in the shifting, but that's what I was told and I let it go.

Besides, it's fun to terrorize the ambulatory customers while zooming around in their electric carts to find something they've moved.

Terry, 230RN

Sometimes the formulations are actually different.   Like the wal-mart house brand Natural Peanut butter, it's ingredients are head and shoulders better than the "natural" peanut butter by Jiff or anyone else they carry.  Much lower sugar content too.  Made with palm oil.  Tastes great.
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
Yep this is the case with a lot of store brands. Sometimes the name brand stuff is actually better, sometimes not, its trial and error. Of course, most folks have a preference for one name brand over another so it's largely the same difference.

I find a lot of the Aldi stuff is just as good or better, a fraction of the price, and filled with less crap than a lot of name brand stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »

Terry, 230RN

Got a friend that works for Kroger at the corporate level.  A lot of their "store brand" products are actually made by big name companies for the Kroger label.  Same product, same prep, same packing techniques, just paying less for the name (or lack of name) on the label.

On the moving thing, they rearrange the store every few years because a study showed that when they mix things up and force customers to search for what they are shopping for, the customer will actually buy additional items that they see along the way.  It's about making more money, and has less to do with shelf rental.  Although they do take money from manufacturers for shelf placement.  Companies pay them big money to have their products up at eye level and in easy reach, so customers will be more likely to get their product.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
Got a friend that works for Kroger at the corporate level.  A lot of their "store brand" products are actually made by big name companies for the Kroger label.  Same product, same prep, same packing techniques, just paying less for the name (or lack of name) on the label.

Well, yeah, but the "a lot of" is why it's a crap shoot sometimes.  I've been pretty lucky at Kroger hereabouts.

On the moving thing, they rearrange the store every few years because a study showed that when they mix things up and force customers to search for what they are shopping for, the customer will actually buy additional items that they see along the way.  It's about making more money, and has less to do with shelf rental.  Although they do take money from manufacturers for shelf placement.  Companies pay them big money to have their products up at eye level and in easy reach, so customers will be more likely to get their product.

Well, the moving is standard retail practice, and for the reason you cite.  But at the place I frequent, it's more like every two weeks. Maybe most customers don't notice this, but I do because to reduce my wandering around, I took a photo of their store directory for in situ reference while zooming around and kept getting frustrated when things changed,

Coffee on aisle eight, got there, and no coffee.  It's on the next aisle over. Drat.

Besides, I usually have to hit the head by the time I get around to grocery shopping on my erranding, so I don't like to waste time.

I suggested they generate a free app so people could use their phones in the store to get stuff.  I guess they figured that would counteract their 'change stuff around" marketing strategy 'cause as far as I know, they haven't done it.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
Grocery store chain here in the KC area, HY VEE, offers to shop for you.

You place order online, someone from the store pulls the order for you, then you can either pick it up or have it delivered, all for free I do believe.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
I have had some success losing weight by having only one apple for breakfast and another one midmorning when I get hungry.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
And it's full of sugar.

The sugar content is the same for the Slim-Fast product and the Equate clone.

The point of this thread was that, in other respects, it appears the Equate version is actually healthier than the name brand Slim-Fast product. I forgot I was posting on APS, where no discussion is allowed to remain on topic for more than five posts.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »

The point of this thread was that, in other respects, it appears the Equate version is actually healthier than the name brand Slim-Fast product. I forgot I was posting on APS, where no discussion is allowed to remain on topic for more than five posts.

Well... there's quite a few people here, and I'm one of them, who'll tell you if you actually want to lose that weight, you need to cut the sugar.

Your body-fat %'age is directly tied to carbohydrate intake, insulin response etc. Your body doesn't make or store fat out of fats or proteins you eat, only carbohydrates/sugars.

High-carb foods like fruits with a lot of fructose in them are "okay" because they at least have a large amount of fiber that makes them take longer to digest, and has a lower glycemic index overall, and a lower and slower lift to your blood sugar level.

Honestly, you could eat a pound of bacon a day instead of that Slim-Fast or any other carbs, and you'd lose more weight, and your cholesterol levels, good/bad ratio, and your triglycerides in your blood work labs would be better too.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

That's like saying being shot by a 9mm is healthier than being shot by a .45.
Neither one is healthy.  Sugar. Artificial ingredients.  For *expletive deleted*ck's sake the second ingredient is sugar.
Added *expletive deleted*ing sugar.
That will kill your weight loss goals. 

I swear to god the food pyramid has ruined this nation for nutritional understanding.

JD

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
The key losing weight, burn more calories than you take in.

Eat vegetables to help you feel full.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Get tempting foods out of your home.
    Stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored.
    Eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge.
    Don't skip meals.
    Exercising, get up and move.

Also, this is the really hard one, for some people. Watch your Alcohol drinking and Alcohol munchies. A 12 pack of shiner bock is 1,704 Calories. A 100-proof whiskey contains about 122 calories in a 1.5 ounce pour. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
Honestly, you could eat a pound of bacon a day instead of that Slim-Fast or any other carbs, and you'd lose more weight, and your cholesterol levels, good/bad ratio, and your triglycerides in your blood work labs would be better too.

Who wants to help me fund this experiment?

Is it just a pound per day, or replace each "diet" shake normally used with a full pound?  Or do I make a bacon milkshake with it? 

I'm shooting for a 500 miles of commute/utility cycling in June for https://greatcyclechallenge.com/ so calorie burn with the hills and headwinds on my commute is going to be pretty high.  (And climbing the hill between me and WalMart with 30lbs of groceries in a 20mph crosswind and a bulk pack of toilet paper acting as a sail can be a challenge too.)