Author Topic: Portable/contractor tablesaw recommendations.  (Read 1990 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Portable/contractor tablesaw recommendations.
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
I've been using granddad's ancient Craftsman 8" tablesaw for quite a few years.
It's a solid saw but it has no modern safety features and I can't run a dado stack on it and the 8" blade is a little limiting.
I've had 2 near missed due to kick backs with it recently, the 1st one it flung a piece of wood 25' and dented the metal wall of my shop, I learned to stand off to the side of saws long ago. Today I was ripping some shorter stock and the blade grabbed the  cut off piece and bounced it off my right clavical at base of my neck. This kind of startled me a bit. No damage beyond a bit of a bruise and a lump on my collarbone.

My wife caught me checking out the spot and I told her what happened.  She is now pretty much demanding I buy a modern, safety equipped saw.

Looking for a 10" saw, need to be able to run a dado pack. Want maybe something portable or at least semi-portable.
Budget is up to $600-$750-ish.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
Re: Portable/contractor tablesaw recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
This video has some good suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPTam9r4eA&t=2s

Also, avoid anything with proprietary miter slots like the plague. I have a 10" Craftsman that has them, and it pisses me off every time I use it...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:52 PM »
This video has some good suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPTam9r4eA&t=2s

Also, avoid anything with proprietary miter slots like the plague. I have a 10" Craftsman that has them, and it pisses me off every time I use it...

I'll watch that. I've been watching his videos for a while now. His collection of hand planes gives me a woody =D.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »
I bought this last summer on sale. My only complaint is it could use a tighter fence. I'll probably get a fence upgrade if I advance beyound remodeling with it. I paid a little over $200 on sale. It is very portable and fold ups up nicely.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Portable-Table-Saw/50056619
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:54:45 PM »
Looking for a 10" saw, need to be able to run a dado pack. Want maybe something portable or at least semi-portable.
Budget is up to $600-$750-ish.

If you want a safe saw, the best I've heard of is "sawstop".  This is the saw that will, at the cost of a $80 cartridge and the blade, will ensure that you don't get more than a knick even if you stick a finger into the blade.  This is the saw where they show barely nicked hot dogs after running them into the blade.

It's a 10" blade, what you're looking for, though they do cost more than what you've listed your budget.  A contractor saw is $1800.  Would have saved my grandfather a few joints. 

https://www.sawstop.com/

All the reviews I've seen of them say that they're excellent saws even outside their unique safety measures.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:16:40 AM »
Keep in mind a saw stop, while having some great safety features, won't stop kick back nor will any other saw. For that the only real things I'm aware of are proper set up, making sure a riving knife is installed and properly set up, and proper cutting techniques to minimize kickback. Most any modern saw may well be better at the set up/design part. The technique part is on the user.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:27:54 AM »
Visit a real tool store and see what you like. We have one that caters to contractors and they have higher end tool models the big boxes don’t stock

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 06:39:09 AM »
We have a Ridgid portable at work we use for ripping marine plywood and some teak for the boats. It's not a cabinet saw, but I've been impressed by it. It has a decent fence, which is nice in this segment.

It certainly beats my Hitachi contractor saw.

Ridgid r4513

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
I went very cheap and bought a Kobalt from Lowe's.  $280 except on black Friday, when it could be had for $180 (don't know if that's still true).

Standard slots and fits a 3/4" dado.  I only use it occasionally in the garage, but it's my favorite tool.  Probably not sufficient for professional use.  Has a riving knife, anti-kickback pall, and one more device (I don't know what it's called) to prevent injury.

I built a small crosscut sled for it that I use at least half the time.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »
The Rigid looks like a possibility.
After the wife saw the bruise I have now she went from "pretty much" demanding to "foot stomping" demanding.
She wants me to take grandpa's old saw apart and just put it away.
My price range may have gone up a little. I was browsing Woodcraft saws and pointed out a Jet brand hybrid that lists for $1500, she said "go get it".   =D
Not sure I can really justify that much saw though. I only use if 4-5  times a month at most but I do cut a lot of hardwood, oak, ash, osage orange...when I fire it up.
Still more research to do...

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
Friend of mine has one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Rolling-Stand-RTS22/301205688

It's a good saw, but it only handles 1/2" dado stacks. By doing some rather... sketchy... things we've been able to use a wider dado stack, but to do anything much over 5/8s inch we have to make multiple passes.

We also ended up making a throat plate for the dado stack because we didn't think about needing one. It worked well, and we didn't lose fingers...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2CGXGG/

I bought this DeWalt about 2 years ago and it's been glorious.  Prior to that I had a hand me down Craftsman that has been through several families, and had a very much less than satisfactory fence. 

While being portable, it's incredibly stable.  I do have a dado stack for it, but I must confess I've yet to use it.  I have a friend with a proper carpentry grade table saw that I will visit his shop for tasks like that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
We have a Ridgid portable at work we use for ripping marine plywood and some teak for the boats. It's not a cabinet saw, but I've been impressed by it. It has a decent fence, which is nice in this segment.

Ridgid r4513

I have that exact saw - well an older version where the stand isn't wheeled - and love it.  Fence is rock solid.  The ruler markings are dead on.

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
I have the same Kobalt that Charby and Silver Bullett spoke of.  It's an ok saw, but not great.  Quite a bit of runout in the blade, and as mentioned, the fence is just ok, though there are some tricks to make it work better.  paid 180 at black friday a few years ago.  At a 1500 budget, the sawstop jobsite saw might be my recommendation.  The fence and construction are top notch, and fingers are nice to keep.  If you want a job site saw but don't want to spend that money, the Dewalt  7491 is probably a great choice.  The rack and pinion fence is pretty great compared to every other jobsite saw.  And for one more wrinkle, have you considered a track-saw in lieu of a table saw.  Food for thought.  I have the Makita and love it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
May be a heavier saw than you're looking for, but I'd look close at the Grizzly:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-2-HP-120V-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-T-Shaped-Fence/G0771Z
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »
I have the same Kobalt that Charby and Silver Bullett spoke of.  It's an ok saw, but not great.  Quite a bit of runout in the blade, and as mentioned, the fence is just ok, though there are some tricks to make it work better.  paid 180 at black friday a few years ago.  At a 1500 budget, the sawstop jobsite saw might be my recommendation.  The fence and construction are top notch, and fingers are nice to keep.  If you want a job site saw but don't want to spend that money, the Dewalt  7491 is probably a great choice.  The rack and pinion fence is pretty great compared to every other jobsite saw.  And for one more wrinkle, have you considered a track-saw in lieu of a table saw.  Food for thought.  I have the Makita and love it.

Track saw same as a radial arm saw?

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
Track saw same as a radial arm saw?

No. Track saw is basically a guide for a circular saw. Very useful for sheets, not much good for anything else.

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »

Ridgid r4513

I clicked on that link, except for being orange it is a dead ringer for my Lowes Kobalt saw.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 04:32:06 PM »
May be a heavier saw than you're looking for, but I'd look close at the Grizzly:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-2-HP-120V-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-T-Shaped-Fence/G0771Z

The Grizzly saw is also a contender. Springfield is also close enough to make it worthwhile  just go get it to save shipping costs.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 08:02:10 PM »
Friend of mine has one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-10-in-Table-Saw-with-Rolling-Stand-RTS22/301205688

It's a good saw, but it only handles 1/2" dado stacks. By doing some rather... sketchy... things we've been able to use a wider dado stack, but to do anything much over 5/8s inch we have to make multiple passes.

We also ended up making a throat plate for the dado stack because we didn't think about needing one. It worked well, and we didn't lose fingers...

Ryobi is the other brand besides Craftsman that tends to have proprietary miter slots on the cheaper saws, and it looks like that's one of them according to the comments.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
Decided on the Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-2-HP-120V-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-T-Shaped-Fence/G0771Z

I went by the local Woodcraft and looked at their similar offering and was a little underwhelmed. I've probably read and watched all the reviews on the 3 saws that made my finalist round, the Grizzly linked above, the Jet Proshop II and the Delta 36-725. I think any of them would probably have served my needs but a common thread in the reviews I looked at were folks with one of the 2 more expensive saws saying the had the delta first and it was a good saw but the one they had now was better. The fence on the Grizzly was rated a good bit higher than the Delta fence so that was enough to sway me. I really think the Jet is a bit overpriced but that is my opinion.

The wife and I are going to drive up to Springfield Friday morning to pick it up and make a road trip out of it.

Samuel Adams

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »
Seconding the comment from lupinus, you should get a GRR-RIPPER and avoid kickback in the first place.  They are pricey but control the work very well to prevent kickback.

https://www.microjig.com/
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
Opted to set aside the portable or semi-portable requirement?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
Yeah, tried to think of the last time I took a table saw somewhere and figured out other than when I moved in 24 years ago I haven't. I did opt for a mobile base so I can move it around in the shop so that kind of sort of makes it almost semi-portable.

Samuel Adams