Author Topic: Portable/contractor tablesaw recommendations.  (Read 1994 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Portable/contractor tablesaw recommendations.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 10:39:14 PM »
Drove up to Springfield, MO with the wife this morning. We made a "road trip" out of it.
Stopped for breakfast in the next town up the road at a great little small town cafe we like and then hit the road.
The Grizzle showroom is pretty incredible if you are at all into tools, power tools, hand tools a little less, wood working, metal working...whatever your thing is.
Picked up the saw at the big warehouse across the road and headed for home.
Haven't gotten it assembled yet and it might be a day or two till I do. I've got a little home maintenance to deal with after the storms we've had so far this spring already. Had a nasty line of storms blow through on our trip back, it was bad enough I had to pull over off the turnpike for a while and my pickup was rocking enough from the wind I was a little concerned.
Once I've got it up and going and have used it some I'll give my impressions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 11:00:08 PM »
Quick review.
Finally found the time to finish putting the thing together this evening.

I picked up a mobile base for the saw and it was missing a nut out of the hardware package. Which brings up a minor annoyance, all the hardware is metric.

The owners/assembly manual for the saw is well put together and flows in a logical manner with the exception I will note later.
Assembly was pretty straight forward but there were a few minor glitches.
Somewhere back up the line there were some minor changes to how the saw and hardware are packaged. This causes some assembly steps to not quite make sense ie; "Install motor cover with the attached phillips head screws" when in reality you use Allen head screws out of the hardware pack. I had read about these minor issues when researching the saw.
On a positive note;The appropriate Allen wrenches are included with the hardware pack.

The saw itself went together with no hiccoughs other than me not paying quite as close attention to the instructions as I might have.
Once assembled the only alignment I had to do was on the distance gauge of the rip fence. All other settings were spot on right out of the box. Blade parallel  to the miter slots. Blade square to the table. Fence parallel to the blade and square to the table.

I didn't even bother with the supplied 40 tooth blade and installed a Diablo by Freud 40T thin kerf blade. My initial cuts were several rip cuts with the fence set to different distances. all cuts out to 4 inches were dead on. I then made several cross cuts at 90° and 45°. Again spot on. I used both pine and white oak to make my test cuts.
Over all I am impressed with this saw and look forward to using it.

I'm somewhat impressed with Diablo blades and plan to pick up at least a couple more for different applications. I've been accustomed to much cheaper blades and I'm a little surprised at the difference.

https://diablotools.com/products/D1040X
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 11:11:31 PM »
Diablos are the best blades going.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 01:43:32 AM »
Do yourself a favor and sand off the red teflon around the arbor hole on your blade. Too  slippery-they will spin on the arbor and gall the flange. I have been running a 24 tooth rip blade in this brand for years. Well, maybe you will be OK- I do a lot of heavy long rips in 8/4 hardwoods.