Author Topic: Military Holiday Party 'Etiquette' Tips  (Read 3283 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Military Holiday Party 'Etiquette' Tips
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »
Military Holiday Party 'Etiquette' Tips
Sarah Smiley | December 10, 2007
Dear Sarah, Im nervous about the upcoming holiday party for my husbands unit. Is there anything I should know about etiquette before I go?

Presumably you have read Service Etiquette, because we, ahem, all have. If this is the case, disregard most of what you read. Nothing against Service Etiquette except that much like raising children, it is easier to read about it than to actually do it.

If this is your first military social event, you may have visions of women in white gloves passing out their calling cards to all the young wives. But really, have you seen any such women at the commissary? At the exchange/PX? These women only exist in fantasies (or nightmares) about military life. (Which isnt to say some scary things arent going to happen at the party, but well get to that in a minute.) The men and women youll meet at the holiday party will be the same men and women youve met at your husbands place, seen at the mall, or seen bowling with their children at the base alley. Dont assume that just because its an official event (aka forced fun, or a highly encouraged social outing) that your husbands co-workers and their spouses will suddenly morph into Service Etiquette-beaters. The truth is that only some of them will. These are the people you will avoid.

The only real concern you should have at the holiday party is what to say, when, and to whom. For instance, the flight surgeon, or any other person associated with your spouses health care, for that matter, should not hear about those black spots your husband sees every time he looks up at the sky. Pilots especially are funny about their health. (And by funny I mean that they would rather you tell the flight surgeon about the stuffed bear named Pooh their mother still keeps on their bed at home than the twitch they sometimes get in their left eyelid.) As far as his co-workers at the party are concerned, your husband is the picture of health. He doesnt even snore, and he certainly doesnt sleepwalk. (Feel free to laugh about these things with the other wives in the bathroom, however.)

Another situation that may come up involves gifts and/or door prizes. The more rank your husband attains, the more hell insist that you not accept any door prizes. Just tell them to call another ticket, hell say. However, let me advise from personal experience that he does not mean for you to refuse any door prizes that are free tickets to a major football game. You are to refuse everything except those items that he personally covets.

You may also be concerned about what to call your spouses superiors. Do you call them Sir? Commander so-and-so? Will you look like a suck-up if you do? Will you look like a slacker if you dont? A general rule of thumb is to call them whatever you feel most comfortable calling them. Unless, of course, your husband will pay for said name at work on Monday. For instance, some communities call the commanding officers wife a COW (Get it? Commanding Officers Wife?), but I wouldnt use this term of endearment until it is abundantly clear that the commanding officers wife and her husband know about the tradition.

Alcohol could be an issue, too. Your goal is to not be the drunkest spouse at the party. People will always talk about the drunkest spouse. Dont let this be you. Also use caution if there will be music and dancing at the party: You never want to be the first or last spouse on the dance floor. If you heed my warning about alcohol, this shouldnt be a problem. If you feel compelled to dance, just make sure you arent the only one doing the Funky Chicken, the Macarena, or any other type of line dance.

Basically, when I think about how to advise you, I am reminded of my 11-month-old son. Lindell knows how to clap, and sometimes he can wave bye-bye and point. But when all else fails, he simply claps and smiles. That is his default trick. Always have a safe, default behavior, and let it not involve abundant alcohol, any funky dance, or stories about your husbands hemorrhoids.   
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Military Holiday Party 'Etiquette' Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 05:19:46 PM »
Funny part is, I think it's all true...  cheesy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »

My unit learned to be more careful when they specified "Dress Uniform" on the invites to a military ball.  They forgot to specify what kind of dress uniform.

Showing up in a full Soviet dress uniform with a bottle of vodka and a really bad Russian accent is generally not appreciated.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Zeke

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
If at any time you feel called to select music to be played at the party, the Star Spangled Banner is a bad choice ONLY if it's the Jimi Hendrix version.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »

My unit learned to be more careful when they specified "Dress Uniform" on the invites to a military ball.  They forgot to specify what kind of dress uniform.

Showing up in a full Soviet dress uniform with a bottle of vodka and a really bad Russian accent is generally not appreciated.

If that isn't on the list of things Skippy isn't allowed to do in the Army, it should be added posthaste.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
Back in '87, I found a copy of Service Etiquette for Army Wives or something like that at a used book store.  Nice blue cover, about 500 maybe 600 pages.  Anyway, I bought it without even opening it and gave it to my wife as I headed out to Military Police Officer Basic at Ft. McMuffin. 

Well, she read it, and boy, did I hear about it..........

I believe that it was the 1936 or maybe 1946 edition.....
Needless to say, not much was useful.......

Table diving in Dress Blues at the St. Barbara's Day Ball in Feldmarshal Erwin Rommel's former Headquarters is perfectly acceptable behavior for officers.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
What's table-diving? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:01:25 PM »
Picture diving on a table...  grin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »
What's "picture diving"?   angel
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
Hey, Scout... Did you ever hear any stories from a coupla years before about a basic trainee who cleaned house on a half-dozen MP school guys in the e-club? He was prior service, going to basic again, and the MP trainees tried to remove his jump wings and CIB...

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »
No no, you're thinking of PITCHER diving...  laugh

I have a bud who used to play in a bar band that they called "The Big Picture" I used to bust his chops and tell him that, being a bar band, it should be "The Big PITCHER". Somehow he never found that funny.  grin

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »
Bogie,

Nope, never heard that one. 

Table Diving- Officer's Club, Fancy Meal, Expensive China, Glass, and Stemware on long rows of tables.  Officers (upto and including Light Colonel's) running as fast as they can and then diving onto said fully loaded table to see who can slide the farthest/wipe out the most stuff on table. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 08:35:36 PM »
Don't puke on a general officer's shoes.

I know someone who did that.

Didn't do a lot for her husband's career.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
If that isn't on the list of things Skippy isn't allowed to do in the Army, it should be added posthaste.

http://www.revdisk.net/NotAuthorized.html

angel
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »
I see we have a live one amongst us...  laugh

Len Budney

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »

Believe it or not, I've seen it before--so you're famous! But I've wanted ever since to ask: how much of that stuff actually happened?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
(aka forced fun, or a highly encouraged social outing)

The preferred nomenclature is "mandatory fun."  Not that I would know, I've never gone to a ball!  Yes!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »
You (as the Pope) and two of your fellow LT's re-enacting Monty Phython's "Michelangelo and Pope" skit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oKXagF3IE  at a dining-out with French, British and German Officers as invited guests (and their spouses) will get you a good, long, lecture from an O-6 about host nation relations, NATO relations, a sense of proprioity and repeatedly asked "What were you thinking Huh?".  (answering that with "We're Lieutenant's we don't/aren't paid to think." is not the correct answer, Kevin, even if you did look good as Michelangelo in those tights, and will only prolong the lecture and make the O-6 in question angrier.... And pointing out that the LT that played the Pope is actually Jewish, doesn't do much to help either........

(BTW, The French were amused, the Germans enjoyed it and the Brits were beside themsleves in tears.) 

And in the future, all skits had to be performed before the XO and approved prior to the Dining-In or Dining-Out, especially the Dining-Out because spouses would be present.  rolleyes

Monty Python skits were pretty much right out after that........

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »

Believe it or not, I've seen it before--so you're famous! But I've wanted ever since to ask: how much of that stuff actually happened?

--Len.

Na, you're probably thinking of skippy's list.  As for how much happened, uh...  Well, I'll phrase it this way.  Everything I meantioned that I'm not allowed to do, I was specifically told I was not allowed to do them.  As I have not consulted with a lawyer and am unaware of statute of limitations, I'll leave it at that.   grin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:09 AM »
This is my favorite:

26. I am NOT authorized to attempt to trade officers to foreign Armies in exchange for better weapons.

This is runner up:

86. I am NOT authorized to step foot in Italy for at least a decade.

laugh

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 04:08:12 PM »
Two that I'm willing to admit to -

21. I am NOT authorized to point out glaringly obvious flaws in briefings given by superiors.

54. I am NOT authorized to call 'Officer Formation' (spacing out all enlisted folks 10m so that the officers have to salute each one individually).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams