Author Topic: Cheney accidentally shoots hunting companion  (Read 2600 times)

DrAmazon

• friend
Cheney accidentally shoots hunting companion
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
This is just not good

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060212/ts_nm/cheney_accident_dc

Good time for us all to review the 3 rules

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who doe
Experiment with a chemist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:56:27 PM »
Just lovely...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 01:22:57 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and injured a man during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, his spokeswoman said Sunday.

Harry Whittington, 78, was "alert and doing fine" after Cheney sprayed him with shotgun pellets on Saturday while the two were hunting at the Armstrong Ranch in south Texas, said property owner Katharine Armstrong.

Armstrong said Whittington was mostly injured on his right side, with the pellets hitting his cheek, neck and chest, and was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

Whittington was in stable condition Sunday, said Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president was with Whittington, a lawyer from Austin, Texas, and his wife at the hospital on Sunday afternoon.

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shot at a covey of quail late afternoon on Saturday.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and found a second covey.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong told the Associated Press in an interview.

"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

The shooting was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

She said Whittington was bleeding but not very seriously injured, and Cheney was very apologetic.

"It broke the skin," she said. "It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that."

She said emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington, holding his face and cleaning up the blood.

"Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been," she said. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year. She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

"This is something that happens from time to time. You now, I've been peppered pretty well myself," said Armstrong.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:13:29 PM »
I hear he's inviting Hillary out next weekend.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:19:38 PM »
Talk about DUMB!! The guy shot a LAWYER! Can anyone see what's coming?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
I hear he's inviting Hillary next weekend.
Which begs the question:  Where does one find shells loaded with bitchshot?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
http://corner.nationalreview.com/06_02_12_corner-archive.asp#089847
Since the 78-year-old lawyer is in ok shape: Three jokes to be on the look out for, off the top of my head:

" Since wholesale Social Security reform failed, Cheney is taking a retail approach.

" Afterwards, Cheney said two words: "tort reform."

" Clearly, this is further proof that the administration needs to work harder providing adequate body armor.

And, Three of the Top Ten Things He Said Afterwards:

" "I thought it was Pat Leahy."

" "Let's have no more talk about independent counsels."

" "Pull!...Oh, that was the last lawyer?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »
The Humane Society of the United States Reacts to Vice President Cheney Hunting Incident

2/12/2006 8:36:00 PM

To: National Desk

Contact: Tracey McIntire of The Humane Society of the United States, 301-548-7793

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, issued the following statement after learning that the Vice President shot a man during a quail hunt in Texas on Saturday:

"Vice President Cheney just seems to keep topping himself on the hunting front. First, he showed terrible judgment by hunting ducks with Justice Antonin Scalia when his office had business before the Supreme Court. Then, he went on an exclusive private shooting spree in Pennsylvania and shot dozens, perhaps hundreds, of stocked pheasants at a drive-thru canned hunting operation -- where the pen-raised birds were treated as nothing more than living targets. Now, he's shot a hunting companion in his latest hunting venture. We don't quite understand his obsession with shooting animals, and we'd advise him to pursue a less violent form of relaxation and get on with the important business of leading the country."

------

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization with 9.5 million members and constituents. The HSUS is a mainstream voice for animals, with active programs in companion animals and equine protection, disaster preparedness and response, wildlife and habitat protection, animals in research and farm animal welfare. The HSUS protects all animals through education, investigation, litigation, legislation, advocacy, and field work. The non-profit organization is based in Washington and has field representatives and offices across the country. On the web at http://hsus.org.

--
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 04:37:49 PM »
James and Sarah Brady Comment on the Vice President's Hunting Mishap

2/12/2006 5:40:00 PM

To: National Desk

Contact: Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 202-289-5792

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12 /U.S. Newswire/ -- James and Sarah Brady made comments today related to Vice President Cheney's reportedly accidental shooting yesterday in Texas.

"Now I understand why Dick Cheney keeps asking me to go hunting with him," said Jim Brady. "I had a friend once who accidentally shot pellets into his dog - and I thought he was an idiot."

"I've thought Cheney was scary for a long time," Sarah Brady said. "Now I know I was right to be nervous."

http://www.usnewswire.com/

IndianaDean

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
It also says the guy didn't announce himself. I'd think he'd be smart enough to say something coming up on people who might be shooting at birds.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
Is that the worst the Bradys can say? They're loafing. They ought to be able to come up with something truly hateful.

Leftist extremists are such loafers!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 05:34:04 PM »
i wonder if Jim Bradys idiot friend is Mark Shriver/Kennedy

Lefty's Last Hunt: Dog Felled in 'Tragic Accident'
By Richard Leiby
Thursday, May 6, 2004; Page C03

Kennedy cousin and onetime Maryland legislator Mark Shriver has learned an expensive lesson about pheasant hunting. Rule No. 1: Shoot the pheasant, not the hunting dog.

Shriver's errant shotgun blast killed Lefty, a champion English springer spaniel, during a December trip to a hunting preserve near Gettysburg, Pa. After months of negotiations, the dog's owner, Kris Pederson, last week accepted $9,500 in compensation for the dog, according to two sources familiar with the matter. Pederson, a businessman from Freeland, Md., would not comment, but the sources told us he originally valued Lefty (official name: Mason Dixon's Left Wing) at $15,000 and Shriver initially offered $3,500.

"It was a tragic accident," says Shriver, who lives in Bethesda and heads literacy programs for Save the Children. He would not comment on the amount of the settlement, but told us, "I provided full monetary compensation. And it was a sad incident for me as well. I've known dogs my entire life and it was very, very sad."

The incident that felled Lefty, 7, occurred at a preserve called Hill Country, where Shriver hunted as a guest of a member. The hunting guide that day, David Roesler, a police officer in Baltimore County, told us he grew wary after Shriver "had a misfire" early in the hunt. Not long afterward, Lefty was flushing a bird when Shriver shot the dog with his 12-gauge, leaving a fist-size wound, Roesler said. "It just missed me," he recalled, but Shriver said, "That is not true at all."

Roesler, brother-in-law of Lefty's owner, rushed to the dog's aid. "I knew there was nothing I could do," he said. "It hit him in the rib cage . . . exactly where his heart is." Shriver immediately told him, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," Roesler said.

But the guide was furious: "There was nothing I could say. I was bawling my eyes out, I was so mad."

Asked whether he's an experienced hunter, Shriver, 40, told us: "I've hunted my entire life with my father and my family. We'll leave it at that."

Hill Country's manager, George Werner, called Shriver a "very sloppy" hunter who "did unsafe things." He said Shriver is barred from ever hunting there again.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 06:39:04 PM »
While very unfortunate, I've got pellets in me from similar incidents- while quail hunting- probably more than this old geezer does.   I think there's plenty of culpability to go around.  Someone wasn't paying attention to his surroundings/target and the other wasn't where others thought he was.

Hopefully, it'll end up being a learning experience for lots of folks, and not much more. Cox and Forkum are already poking fun at it. Let's get back to important stuff.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 08:06:09 PM »
Hopefully, it'll end up being a learning experience for lots of folks
I agree.  I hunted quail a lot when I was younger and we still had quail around here.  I never liked quail hunting with other people because it brings out the worst in gun handling.  I let plenty of birds go because I wasn't sure that another hunter or dog wasn't in my  shot path.  When a covey flushes at your feet and birds go in all directions, you have to expect that a few of them are going to go between yourself and another hunter or one of dogs.  Throw in heavy brush, tall weeds, mesquites and other visual hindrances and it requires even more care.  Some people are too excitable or competitive to hunt quail with.

Unless he jumped up from behind a bush right when Cheney was firing, I can't find much blame to place on Mr. Whittington and I'm glad to hear he wasn't more seriously injured.
For entertainment purposes only.

IndianaDean

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 08:42:10 PM »
You guys both need to go over to The High Road and post your responses there. Practically everyone is bending over backwards making fun of Cheney over there. I don't like Cheney one bit, but I don't think he should be shouldering the entire blame for this one.

...has left the building.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 02:30:34 AM »
Like others, I don't bird hunt in groups where there is more than one person armed and ready. Group bird hunting makes me incredibly nervous.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »
If and when I ever hunt, I'll be alone. I don't want to have to worry about shooting anybody nor worry about anybody shooting me.

What I DO have to do is get off my ass and get my hunting license...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 05:12:43 AM »
Looks like the lawyer will recovery quickly.

So, let the jokes begin. Tongue

Cheney's new Secret Service name:  Shotgunner

President bush to Iran: "Give up on the nukes, or I'll send Cheney over."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 06:05:43 AM »
More Questions Raised About Delay in Reporting Cheney Misfire

By Greg Mitchell

Published: February 12, 2006 10:20 PM ET
NEW YORK The more than 18-hour delay in news emerging that the Vice President of the United States had shot a man, sending him to an intensive care unit with his wounds, grew even more curious late Sunday. E&P has learned that the official confirmation of the shooting came about only after a local reporter in Corpus Christi, Texas, received a tip from the owner of the property where the shooting occured and called Vice President Cheney's office for confirmation.

The confirmation was made but it is not known for certain that Cheney's office, the White House, or anyone else intended to announce the shooting if the reporter, Jaime Powell of the Corpus Christ Caller-Times, had not received word from the ranch owner.

One of Powell's colleagues at paper, Beth Francesco, told E&P that Powell had built up a strong source relationship with the prominent ranch owner, Katharine Armstrong, which led to the tip. Powell is chief political reporter for the paper and also covers the area where the ranch is located south of Sarita. Armstrong did not notify reporters at larger papers in Dallas, Houston, Austin or other cities.

Armstrong called the paper Sunday morning looking for Powell, who was not at work. When they did talk, Armstrong revealed the shooting of prominent Austin attorney Harry Whittington, who is now in stable condition in a hospital. Powell then called Cheney's office for the confirmation around midday. The newspaper broke the story at mid-afternoon--not a word about it had appeared before then.

The Cheney spokesman Powell spoke with, Lea Anne McBride, would not comment on whether the White House would have ever released the information had the Caller-Times not contacted them.

"Im not going to speculate," McBride said, according to Powell. "When you put the call into me, I was able to confirm that account."

Francesco, at the Corpus Christi paper, said she felt it was a bit odd that her newsroom had not received any information about the shooting since "we often call law enforcement in area, even on weekends. We checked in and didnt hear anything about it."

While E&P was first to raise the question about the delay Sunday afternoon, Frank James, reporter in the Chicago Tribune's Washington bureau, put his own spin on it later in the day, asking, "How is it that Vice President Cheney can shoot a man, albeit accidentally, on Saturday during a hunting trip and the American public not be informed of it until today?"

Indeed, others raised questions as well. "There was no immediate reason given as to why the incident wasn't reported until Sunday," The Dallas Morning News observed. "The sheriff's office in Kenedy County did not respond to phone calls Sunday."

The president, who was at the White House over the weekend, was informed about the incident in Texas after it happened Saturday by Chief of Staff Andrew Card and Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove and was updated on Sunday, press secretary Scott McClellan said.

But neither the White House nor the vice president's staff announced the shooting. The Washington Post reported late Sunday that Cheney's office did not make a public announcement.

Asked by The New York Times why it did not make the news known, Cheney spokeswoman McBride said, "We deferred to the Armstrongs regarding what had taken place at their ranch."

In an odd disparity, Armstrong told the Houston Chronicle that Whittington, 78, was "bruised more than bloodied" in the incident and "his pride was hurt more than anything else." Yet he was airlifted to a hospital and has spent more than a day in an intensive care unit.

The Chronicle also reports Monday that hunting accidents are amazingly rare in Texas. In 2004, it said, the state's 1 million-plus hunters were involved in only 29 hunting-related accidents (19 involving firearms), four of which were fatal.

The delay in announcing the shooting "will likely be the main question asked of the White House about the apparent accidental shooting of a 78-year-old man during a Texas hunting trip by the vice president," the Tribune's James wrote on the Washington bureau's blog at the newspaper's site.

"When a vice president of the U.S. shoots a man under any circumstance," the reporter noted, "that is extremely relevant information. What might be the excuse to justify not immediately making the incident public?

"The vice president is well-known for preferring to operate in secret....Some secrecy, especially when it comes to the executing the duties of president or vice president, is understandable and expected by Americans.

"But when the vice president's office, or the White House, delays in reporting a shooting like Saturday's to the public via the media, it needlessly raises suspicions and questions of trust. And it may just further the impression held by many, rightly or wrongly, that the White House doesn't place the highest premium on keeping the public fully and immediately informed."

In another bit of intrigue, The New York Times reported late Sunday that Whittington was commissioner of the state's Funeral Service Commission. In 1999, George W. Bush, then governor of Texas, named Whittington to head the Commission, which licenses and regulates funeral directors and embalmers in the state. "When he was named," The Times revealed, "a former executive director of the commission, Eliza May, was suing the state, saying that she had been fired because she investigated a funeral home chain that was owned by a friend of Mr. Bush.

"The suit was settled in 2001, but the details were not disclosed."

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 07:19:57 AM »
When hunting as a group, it is EVERYBODY'S responsibility to be aware of what other people are doing.  Sure, the primary responsibility is on the shooter, but that doesn't mean the rest of the group can wander around and not pay attention.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.