Author Topic: Chemistry types, how accurate is this?  (Read 1773 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Chemistry types, how accurate is this?
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
Blog post claims to have a more "scientific" approach to seasoning cast iron. Thoughts?

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Chemistry types, how accurate is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Looks right to me.  I've thought about using linseed oil for seasoning cast iron but all I have is "boiled linseed oil"
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
I've used flaxseed oil to season cast iron.  It worked great; left a nice non-stick polymerized coating.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »
I should get some cast iron sometime when SWMBO is out of town and do that seasoning.  She'd never let me cook on it if she knew ahead of time that it was cast iron.  Don't know why.
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
I should get some cast iron sometime when SWMBO is out of town and do that seasoning.  She'd never let me cook on it if she knew ahead of time that it was cast iron.  Don't know why.

Fairly recent "old wives tale" that cast iron leaches into food, causing all sorts of horrible diseases?  Aluminium has been linked to Alzhimers, plus you can literally destroy it with acids.

("Sure, vaskidmark, simmer that tomato sauce all day in the pretty aluminum pot."  Somewhere around the 3:30 mark a leak developed, but there was nobody home to notice it.  Almost as much fun as when the future ex left a pot of eggs simmering (deviled eggs were planned) while she went out "to get a few groceries we needed."  Do not EVAR boil a pot of eggs dry in a cheap aluminium pot and then think only one can of Lysol  spray will fix that odor.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:03 AM »
A little iron does leach into food, and that's a GOOD thing -- for women anyway.  How do you think Granny got her daily iron when she was younger? (I'm serious)

"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »
A little iron does leach into food, and that's a GOOD thing -- for women anyway.  How do you think Granny got her daily iron when she was younger? (I'm serious)

That's the story I've gone with for years. I;ve never found a liver I like the taste of so I have to get my iron from someplace.

I've always wondered if I absorbed much iron during all my years in the machine shop. I sure could taste it all the time.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
When did it become difficult to obtain lard?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
Curious about that, too.

I just bought another block before Christmas for BPCR bullet lube.

There was plenty on the shelf... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »

It didn't.  Still stocked on most supermarket shelves.  Some places have moved it to the ethnic aisle, but it's still there.  Or you can go to Sams or Cosco and get it by the five gallon bucket.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »

My wife's doc suggested cast iron cookware when she was a little anemic, not enough to warrant supplements.  I always liked that doc...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »

Going by the number of times she used the word organic in the story I'm thinking lard is a no no at the store she shops at.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
Going by the number of times she used the word organic in the story I'm thinking lard is a no no at the store she shops at.

jim

Organic, bah.

My Mom fed us organic food before it was "cool." How? It's call she had a vegetable garden in the back yard. And it didn't cost her the extortionate prices that some of the organic retail outlets charge.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »
Unfortunately, nearly all the Lard available today is hydrogenated so it can be shelf stable. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
Your best alternative to food-grade linseed oil is soybean oil. But it doesn't dry as fast or as hard as linseed oil.  I guess fish oil might work too :P  I think hardware store linseed oil is probably OK if it's raw (you'll have to decide that or yourself), but you don't want to "boiled" stuff because it contains toxic drying additives.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
It didn't.  Still stocked on most supermarket shelves.  Some places have moved it to the ethnic aisle, but it's still there.  Or you can go to Sams or Cosco and get it by the five gallon bucket.

Brad

Wait. People have to buy lard?

??? =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »

??? =D

For some reason that reminded me of an old animaniacs cartoon skit, in which the movie proprietor sucked the lard right out of the fat movie goers' butts and put it on their popcorn purchase like butter.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »

??? =D

Huh, unadulterated lard supplier. I guess now I have a second reason for driving out to my "associates" pig farm.  >:D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »
"Aluminium has been linked to Alzheimers..."

Actually, no such link has ever been proven.

The ONLY "link" between aluminum and Alzhimer's was that back in the 1990s autopsies of Alzheimer's patients showed that many had elevated levels of aluminum in their brains, but there was absolutely NO proof of any kind showing a link behind using cooking, storage, or eating utensils and the development of Alzheimer's.

For all anyone knew, aluminum was simply a symptom of the disease, not a cause, but that certainly didn't stop news organizations from whipping people into an incredible froth about how dangerous aluminum was.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.