Author Topic: Chemistry can be fun!  (Read 501 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Chemistry can be fun!
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
Whoa.  Check this out: http://www.compoundchem.com/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chemistry can be fun!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
The inventor of Kevlar died earlier this week.

Whoops, says that right in the presentation graphics...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Were APSers aware that the weave for bullet-resistant kevlar and puncture-resistant kevlar are a) entirely different and b) offer almost no crossover protection?

Dept. of Corrections tried to go cheap and bought semi-sorta-nealy expired Level III vests for COs to use as protection against shankings.  Took two near-fatalities and one lawsuit for them to "discover" the difference.

Add to that the weave for cut-resistant items (gloves, sleeves) is whole another kettle of fish.  I can attest that properly-worn cut-resistant gloves will save yur fingers from a commercial electric slicer.

The easiest to construct stuff using kevlar seems to be logging chaps.  Pretty much just long strands oriented vertically, designed to catch & jam the chain.  Saw someone put a set of chap to the test.  Messy as all get-out (strands all over the place besides jamming the chain) but worked like the charm they were supposed to be.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
Add to that the weave for cut-resistant items (gloves, sleeves) is whole another kettle of fish.  I can attest that properly-worn cut-resistant gloves will save yur fingers from a commercial electric slicer.

Had a guy prove a good cut resistant glove by smacking me across the palm with a sharp blade hard enough to leave a bruise through the glove.  Proved a cheap one to my old boss by cutting it into little pieces with a not-very-sharp pocketknife.