Author Topic: Chemistry degree teaching tries to retool  (Read 2693 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Chemistry degree teaching tries to retool
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chemistry-departments-try-to-attract-more-students-by-retooling-the-major-1428880862 (paywall)

The real reason why chemistry is in the toilet is the lack of jobs in the field. This article talks about a chemistry degree as the entry to grad school or medical school, but hardly no mention is made of using a chemistry degree to work as a chemist. For several decades now, there has been a real lack of chemistry jobs and in recent years, the job market has contracted even further with Big Pharma cutting back and offshoring research/development and production. I certainly don't regret my chemistry degrees, but they proved to be essentially useless to my career since I had to retrain after not finding a job as an analytical chemist.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Chemistry degree teaching tries to retool
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
Most of the chemistry types I know have degrees in chemical engineering, not chemistry per se.  Funny, because the work they talk about doing sounds a lot like what i would call chemistry.  My personal favorite is my friend who worked on the Olestra project.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »
I've got a minor in chemistry and only used it in two jobs as incidental to my main quals.  Later on, I discovered that (at least analytical) chemistry had devolved into putting samples into a machine and pressing a button... well, just about.  No more of what I call "wet chemistry" with bubbles and precipitates and titrating and fun stuff like that there.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
I am sure this will all be solved if we can only let in 100,000 H1B chemists from out of the country.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
I've got a minor in chemistry and only used it in two jobs as incidental to my main quals.  Later on, I discovered that (at least analytical) chemistry had devolved into putting samples into a machine and pressing a button... well, just about.  No more of what I call "wet chemistry" with bubbles and precipitates and titrating and fun stuff like that there.

I did my research master's in 1982, and it was on the quantitative analysis of barbiturates in urine using GC/MS.  I had to do some degree of prep to the samples before injecting it into the GC/MS and then manually reading, measuring and interpreting the peaks and spectra on the printout to determine the makeup of the sample.  It is amazing nowadays with the computerized library of peaks and mass spectra loaded into the machines, that gives you a virtually instantaneous interpretation of the sample. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
Most of the chemistry types I know have degrees in chemical engineering, not chemistry per se.  Funny, because the work they talk about doing sounds a lot like what i would call chemistry.  My personal favorite is my friend who worked on the Olestra project.   :lol:

Ugggghh...Olestra.

I once ate some Chinese food that, I found out later, contained Olestra.

Not my proudest hygenic moment.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
Olestra?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »
Maybe if universities/colleges would invite industry in to see what industry is looking for in a employee with a Chemistry BS degree, then they can retool the program to make their graduates more employable.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
Olestra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra#Side_effects

Starting in 1996, an FDA-mandated health warning label read "This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools (anal leakage). Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added".[12]

These symptoms, normally occurring only by excessive consumption in a short period of time, are known as steatorrhea, and caused by an excess of fat in stool.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
Olestra?

Rx as Olestra or OTC as Ali for weight control based on the ability to prevent absorption of dietary fat - which has to go somewhere.  A good aid in teaching what is truely a low-fat diet as opposed to merely avoiding deep-fried foods.  A good doc Rxinng it will discuss the use of adult diapers - both for the nearly uncontrolable urges and for the presrvation of upholstery.

Strangely little mention is made of the flatulance that may be experienced - which given its primary purpose can induce anxiety.

Thank goodness it is not designed to be a maintenance medication.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »
Maybe if universities/colleges would invite industry in to see what industry is looking for in a employee with a Chemistry BS degree, then they can retool the program to make their graduates more employable.

You mean a Trade School?

Heard that too often in both secondary and post-secondary settings.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
You mean a Trade School?

Heard that too often in both secondary and post-secondary settings.

stay safe.

It's different than being a trade school.

Trade School you are taught the basics to be competent enough to begin in a trade. A university degree means that you are studied in a subject or two, but you also have a well rounded education.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »

There is that- at least in an industrial sense, new employees are stunned by the scale of reactions.

On the flip side- a lot of chemistry jobs are 'dirty jobs'- hours, even full days in Level B or Level A suits, handling heavy equipment/raw materials. In pharma/manufacturing sites I've worked at, I've seen far more people come out of college who couldn't/didn't want to do the physical work- a lot of them had a notion that they would sit at a desk all day or do small experiments at a bench top. They last 6 months to a year and either go back to school, get a teaching gig, or find a lower impact job.
Analytical jobs are every easy to come by in my area, but they don't pay well, unless you have an advanced degree and specialize in mass spec or NMR (where I work, they got rid of all of the advanced degrees in analytical and trained us B.S. monkeys how to run the NMR and mass specs for ourselves).
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
It's different than being a trade school.

Trade School you are taught the basics to be competent enough to begin in a trade. A university degree means that you are studied in a subject or two, but you also have a well rounded education.

No offense meant towards your post or trade schools.  I was just repeating the "party line" of modern, progessive educators.

stay safe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »
No offense meant towards your post or trade schools.  I was just repeating the "party line" of modern, progessive educators.

stay safe.

No worries man. I work at university (until I find new employment) and I have that conversation all the time with the profts.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
What is the average starting pay for Chemical Engineers versus Chemistry Majors now days?  I know when I was getting started, that was a major factor.  The chemical industry down here hires a lot more chemical engineers than chemists, but I normally meet operations and maintenance folks rather than R&D or lab people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge