Author Topic: Chevy trucks - best forum?  (Read 878 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chevy trucks - best forum?
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »
I'm working out a three-legged deal that should end up with me getting 91 Chevy Suburban.  It's in fair shape, but will need a lot of mechanical TLC - thankfully mostly general maintenance type stuff and a few cosmetic interior things.  I'm a Ford guy and know next to nothing about Chevys.  Anyone here know of a really good Chevy truck forum where I can start getting up to speed?

Thanks in advance!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Chevy trucks - best forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
Good for you!  Wink

We have a 1991 GMC Suburban with over 200K miles and still going strong.

Is yours a 4wd?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:16:09 PM »
Hope your happy with your Chevy.

I am a Ford guy also but...

I have to admit the last Chevy van I had for work rode real nice. Had very few problems with it other than the unbelievably cheap interior door panels. I had to zip screw them back on as they kept popping loose.

The Ford I am driving now is much more of a truck, not refined at all.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »
Good luck with the U-Boat!

They're a labor of love, especially when it comes time for shocks, tires, brakes, alignments, tune-ups, and so forth.

My youngest stepson has a '97 Suburban K1500 with about 170,000 miles on it. I think to date I've donated close to $2K in parts alone to the cause.  Now it needs an engine management computer and O2 sensors. Sad

Go over that '91 with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there are no surprises awaiting you. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:55:25 AM »
My youngest stepson has a '97 Suburban K1500 with about 170,000 miles on it. I think to date I've donated close to $2K in parts alone to the cause.  Now it needs an engine management computer and O2 sensors.

The nice thing about the 1991 Suburbans is that was the last year they built the "old style" body & chassis (but the pickups changed in 1988).  They don't have all that fancy crap to go wrong.  Basically they are 1970's technology with throttle body fuel injection added.  The 4wd front axle is "solid" with leaf springs.

The worst problem we have had was the tank mounted electric fuel pump  sad
That and little crap like electric windows/door locks etc ....  rolleyes

We also threw away the "automatic" front hubs and replaced them with a pair of Warn manual hubs.  Sure you might get your feet muddy sometime but at least they work when you need them.  Heck, we just leave our hubs locked in most of the winter unless we are going to be out on dry hiway.  Then you can just shift between 2wd and 4wd as needed.  It doesn't hurt anything to idle the front driveline at city or back road speeds - actually it is better for it to keep everything lubricated.

All that weight just goes through snow like it isn't even there.  But you want to buy the heaviest tires you can find - which is a pain for the 1/2 ton models that only have 15" wheels.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »
The headliner is gone - what's left is drooping down into the cabin so I'm just going to rip the rest of it out.  It starts and runs, not well, but it runs.  I'm sure I'll need to do a full preventive maintenance schedule on it - belts, hoses, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc.  The body seems to be in good shape other than than the wonderful Chevy "Paid to Fade" paint.

It's had a full suspension lift.  Looks like it was done pretty well, except they used 4" blocks in the rear and 6" springs in the front.  It looks like it's driving uphill all the time.  I'm pretty sure the tie-rod ends are trashed but that's a 15 minute job.  I'd put good money on the brake rotors being history, too.

Yes, it's 4WD.  It has plenty of tire and rim (supposedly 35's).  I think the big tires (and probably a lot of mud running by the former owner) has done a pretty thorough job of cornholing the tranny.  It drives fine most of the time, but if you hammer it hard you can feel the tranny sloop-slurping from gear to gear.  Heck, I don't even know which tranny the thing has.  700R4 maybe?

Oh well... it's going to be a project toy anyway.  At least the body, suspension, and interior are still mostly okay.  Even if I start putting a little money it in I'm still way better off than if I'd hauled off and bought some ragged-out POS somewhere else.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
How are the driveshaft angles?  (lots of stress on the U-joints when lifts are done improperly)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"