Author Topic: Hemorrhoid Reporting from Iraq  (Read 961 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Hemorrhoid Reporting from Iraq
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:00:42 AM »
Virtual Reporting: Live from Rear Lines

Michael Fumento, who has embedded as a journalist three times with combat units stationed in Iraq's al Anbar province, launches a scathing attack against the way the mainstream media is covering the war in Iraq:

Would you trust a Hurricane Katrina report datelined "direct from Detroit"? Or coverage of the World Trade Center attack from Chicago? Why then should we believe a Time Magazine investigation of the Haditha killings that was reported not from Haditha but from Baghdad? Or a Los Angeles Times article on a purported Fallujah-like attack on Ramadi reported by four journalists in Baghdad and one in Washington? Yet we do, essentially because we have no choice. A war in a country the size of California is essentially covered from a single city. Plug the name of Iraqi cities other than Baghdad into Google News and youll find that time and again the reporters are in Iraqs capital, nowhere near the scene. Capt. David Gramling, public affairs officer for the unit Im currently embedded with, puts it nicely: "I think it would be pretty hard to report on Baghdad from out here." Welcome to the not-so-brave new world of Iraq war correspondence.

Vietnam was the first war to give us reporting in virtually real time. Iraq is the first to give us virtual reporting. That doesnt necessarily make it biased against the war; it does make it biased against the truth.

Put simply, it's hemorrhoid reporting: "if it bleeds it leads," and you only get it from the rear.

A little more from Fmento's article:
    During my three embeds in Iraqs vicious Anbar Province, Ive been mortared and sniped at, and have dodged machine-gun fire  all of which has given me a serious contempt for the rear-echelon reporters. When I appeared on the Al Franken Show in May, after my second embed, it was with former CNN Baghdad bureau chief Jane Arraf  who complained about the dangers of being shot down by a missile while landing in Baghdad, and the dangers of the airport road to the International Zone (IZ) . . . and how awful the Baghdad hotels were. . . .

CBS News cameraman Paul Douglas and freelance soundman James Brolan were blown up by an improvised explosive device (IED) while accompanying CBS correspondent Kimberly Dozier, herself critically injured. They were embedded with the 4th Infantry Division. So were ABC anchorman Bob Woodruff and his cameraman, who were critically injured by an IED. Time correspondent Michael Weisskopf had his hand blown off trying to toss a grenade out of his Humvee when he was embedded with the 1st Armored Division. These, not the hotel-bound credit-claimers, are the journalist-heroes of the Iraq War.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Re: Hemorrhoid Reporting from Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:06:20 AM »
BIG +1..
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Hemorrhoid Reporting from Iraq
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:17:37 AM »
Read this.  The latest from Michael Yon.  He hasn't been back to Iraq and this article gives a pretty good explanation as to why.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/844nigml.asp
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.