Author Topic: Merged - SCOTUS decision on Heller  (Read 59761 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Merged - SCOTUS decision on Heller
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »
No, I think the only thing that it means is that it gave McCain an opportunity to poke his opponent in the eye over the "bitter and clinging to guns and religion" statement.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
Nice quote from McCain...

"Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly," McCain said.

Does this mean that McCain will recognize it?  He doesn't have the best track record in this area.  I wonder if he changed his mind.

If by "changed his mind" you mean "is trying to pander to the people he's been screwing for years" then the answer is yes.

Also what Mike Irwin said.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »
DU seems to understand that the only ruling was what happened today.  Some have even voiced concerns that it wasn't 6-3 or better.

Wayne LaPierre has also stated that lawsuits are being readied for NYC, Chicago and San Fransisco.  May actually go for inclusion and get a 14th amendment ruling out of it.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »
Anyone nose in over at Democratic Underground today?

What's it like over there?

Not there, but here's my favorite vomit-worthy from the Kos Kidz.

My opinion on the 2nd amendment is this:

1 The 2nd amendment does say that we have the right to keep and bear arms. We can own guns and bullets. It says that, so lets just not argue about it and accept that thats what it says.

2 Maybe now, after almost 250 years, is the time to amend the 2nd amendment. Create the 28th amendment that changes the 2nd by taking away our right to bear arms. Why not, because let's face it...having the right to bear arms hasn't really worked out well for us, has it? We just keep shooting each other to death. Let's change the 2nd amendment and try another tack in trying to achieve the goal of not killing each other.

Thatd be fine with me.

Obama, '08 - Because the failure of America as a democracy is not an option!

by WSComn on Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 08:09:43 AM PDT

I guess they'd be happier if we pushed each other out of windows......  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

1 The 2nd amendment does say that we have the right to keep and bear arms. We can own guns and bullets. It says that, so lets just not argue about it and accept that thats what it says.

2 Maybe now, after almost 250 years, is the time to amend the 2nd amendment. Create the 28th amendment that changes the 2nd by taking away our right to bear arms. Why not, because let's face it...having the right to bear arms hasn't really worked out well for us, has it? We just keep shooting each other to death. Let's change the 2nd amendment and try another tack in trying to achieve the goal of not killing each other.

Thatd be fine with me.

I guess they'd be happier if we pushed each other out of windows......  rolleyes

Honestly, I find the "The 2nd Amdendment says what it says, get over it, but lets's call a constitutional convention..." angle refreshing.

It's the way those things are supposed to happen. And it shows that we've dragged a few of our enemies into realizing they need to at least play by the rules.

Also, of course, even if Obama wins with better than 50% of the vote, getting the 2/3rds supermajorites needed in 2/3rds of the state legislatures to do away with the 2nd has got a snowflake's chance in hell for the foreseeable future.  grin
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »
Maybe now, after almost 250 years, is the time to amend the 2nd amendment. Create the 28th amendment that changes the 2nd by taking away our right to bear arms
And once we've established the precedent that part of the Bill of Rights can be abolished, we can get rid of that pesky 4th Amendment so police won't have to waste time on warrants . . . abolish the 1st Amendment, because some things ought not be allowed to be said . . . etc. etc.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Maybe now, after almost 250 years, is the time to amend the 2nd amendment. Create the 28th amendment that changes the 2nd by taking away our right to bear arms
And once we've established the precedent that part of the Bill of Rights can be abolished, we can get rid of that pesky 4th Amendment so police won't have to waste time on warrants . . . abolish the 1st Amendment, because some things ought not be allowed to be said . . . etc. etc.  rolleyes

I imagine if that happened quite a few states would consider the covenant broken and abandon the union. Montana has already gone on record with that position.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »
For those who want to abolish the Bill of Rights I have one word: SECESSION.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
How about TREASON instead? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
So, uh, where's the ACLU been all day? 

Anyone wanna make a bet on whether the ACLU now starts to support RKBA as vigorously as every other individual right?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
So, uh, where's the ACLU been all day? 

Anyone wanna make a bet on whether the ACLU now starts to support RKBA as vigorously as every other individual right?
I bet not.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
i found this quote interesting.

In a dissent he summarized from the bench, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

He said such evidence "is nowhere to be found."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_guns;_ylt=ApNQR2r5JP9O6BTsDWSMgYSs0NUE

he must not have read the second amendment.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »
For those who want to abolish the Bill of Rights I have one word: SECESSION.

Yea but which side?  If they secede then we're stuck with the current system...I'd much rather the pro liberty/BOR people secede so we can start over fresh and nice.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »
Congratulations to all of you. A small, but important victory.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
It's important as ever for activists to deliver results now-to prove that all the money and time gun owners have been donating are worthwhile, and to keep the momentum up.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
It's important as ever for activists to deliver results now-to prove that all the money and time gun owners have been donating are worthwhile, and to keep the momentum up.
My uncle said the NRA was making plans to 'attack' the Chicago and California laws, but that's all I've heard.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »

Thatd be fine with me.

Settle down Archie.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Yea but which side?  If they secede then we're stuck with the current system...I'd much rather the pro liberty/BOR people secede so we can start over fresh and nice.

I meant that if the 2A is expunged by the amendment process, there is a plausible scenario to be made for OUR SIDE seceding.  The next few years will be momentous in the history of this Republic.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

I would bet the ACLU will still be stalinist.
Ruth voted against it and she used to run the ACLU AFAIK
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
Hey, if we're amending the Constitution, I have some crucial changes that need to be implemented, as well!

First Amendment -- Uhm.... strike the entire thing. An anachronism. The Founders never could have conceived of television, radio, or newspaper presses that can print 100,000 copies of a paper in an hour. And we know how destructive a "free" press can be. Don't believe me? Ask Richard Jewell or Steven Hatfill. 

Also, we've all seen what happens when people "peacably" assemble. Riots. And petition the government for redress? What kind of crap is that? Ginsberg, Souter, Kennedy, and Breyer would like us all to know that the government is infallible, so there is certainly NO need for citizens to be able to petition it.

Third Amendment. Quartering of troops? Holy hell, that's why they build barracks! Another anachronism that needs to go. It just wastes ink and valuable paper every time the government prints a copy of the Bill of Rights.

Fourth Amendment. Once again, the government is infallible. There's no need to believe that they'd conduct unreasonable searches/seizures.

Fifth Amendment? Too many criminals are slipping though this loophole! It needs to be stopped!

And, so forth and so on.

You know, NONE of the original amendments in the Bill of Rights has worked out very well for us. I think it's time to get rid of them all. We need to BELIEVE in the good grace and charm of our government. That will make it work correctly again!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
Hey and remember, even Iraqi's can have one AK per household for self defense.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »
AJ Dual
Honestly, I find the "The 2nd Amdendment says what it says, get over it, but lets's call a constitutional convention..." angle refreshing.
A disaster; if we get suckered into a convention you can bank on a couple of things. Firstly, the media will dig up every single shooting nationwide and saturate the news with the gory details of the deaths of the youngest and most feeble.

And we will get our "clearly worded" and redefined 2nd Amendment.

Unwilling to open their mouths and speak, shying away from being seen as monsters amidth a visual and audio tidal wave of death and suffering, carefully edited, enhanced and presented media - most all of those "pro gun republicans" and "democrats" will be silently waving their arms for the "yays". These same turncoats will be suddenly adjusting their shoe laces and looking at their cellphone menus as the few "nays" - now "radical nuts" - make their last effort.

And bingo; now a clearly worded 2nd, watered down, with chapters of "ifs" and "buts" restrictions, controls and open-ended government options for it to "evolve" later on. Now the law of the Land.

Suicide.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »
Do you realize what it takes to amend the constitution?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2008, 02:03:52 AM »

Okey, NRA is gonna get a nice check from me.  Doubt their legal wing is tax deductable, but I could care less.  I'm throwing a celebration tonight.

Hell, I'd send every lawyer they got a case of nice champagne if the Hughes Amendment is defeated.   We've seized the initiative, we need to continue.

Thatd be fine with me.

You know, I've read this about five times.  Dude, an anti with a logical understanding of the Constitution?   Haven't seen many of those. 

Whoever wrote it is correct.  The 2A says what it says and the only way to change it is a Constitutional amendment.   They are welcome to do so.  Fully above board and all that.  Granted, removing rights enumerated in the BoR is a bad idea.   Unless the next amendment was very strongly worded, there would be 9th and 10th amendment law suits.  Removing the enumeration of the words "right to keep and bear arms" from the BoR would not remove the actual right.  You'd have to remove the words, AND specify that the RKBA is nullified.  IANAL, but I think the logic is correct.

Thoughts?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.