Author Topic: Math professor loses it mid-lecture  (Read 2879 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Math professor loses it mid-lecture
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:39:31 AM »
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121002/METRO/210020372/1361/Michigan-State-professor-hospitalized-after-outburst

Is there a connection between this happening and this happening in Detroit?  It seems that there is more of a connection with his beiong a math profesor:

http://www.lomont.org/Math/Talks/Mathematics%20and%20Insanity.pdf

15 minutes for the cops to get there on reports of a naked man running around the halls?  I gues we now know what to say to the Deptoit 9-1-1 operators whenever a prompt response is needed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Math professor loses it mid-lecture
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »
At least he wasn't concealing a weapon ...
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »
someone who claimed to be a student said the episode occurred in his calculus class

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121002/METRO/210020372#ixzz28F5gjsLF

The professor has probably been getting closer and closer and closer to insanity for a long time  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
McCarthy is not being charged with a crime, police said.

Really?!?!  Having the cheese slide off your cracker and running through the hallways ranting and raving while naked gets you....nothing.

The line keeps move further and further back each day...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
do not try the brown bath salts
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Really?!?!  Having the cheese slide off your cracker and running through the hallways ranting and raving while naked gets you....nothing.

You answered it right there. Mental competence for one's actions. Seems to be manifestly lacking here and he caused no physical or financial harm to bystanders. I see little reason to grind the man down further when he already has quite the task of piecing his life back together.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Math professor loses it mid-lecture
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
At least he wasn't concealing a weapon ...
Are you sure about that?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
"At this point everyone in class ran out. We were literally scared for (our) lives.

You are telling me a class - that is, ten, maybe twenty young, healthy men and women - were afraid that a naked, overweight man older than them by about three decades was going to kill them? How? Bite them to death?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
You are telling me a class - that is, ten, maybe twenty young, healthy men and women - were afraid that a naked, overweight man older than them by about three decades was going to kill them? How? Bite them to death?
Are you kidding? 

Even if you were trained in hand to hand combat, who wants to fight a crazy guy?  Lots of stupid ways to get hurt.  Better to keep clear.  While he was freaking out, he wasn't hurting anyone or himself.  No reason not to just keep clear and let professionals handle him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
Note to Self:  If I ever decide to go crazy and get naked in public, go on a diet and do some sit ups.    =|

(I am in shape.  Round is a shape!)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
Are you kidding? 

Even if you were trained in hand to hand combat, who wants to fight a crazy guy?  Lots of stupid ways to get hurt.  Better to keep clear.  While he was freaking out, he wasn't hurting anyone or himself.  No reason not to just keep clear and let professionals handle him.

I'm not saying they should have fought him. Obviously there was no good reason to fight him.

But there was also no good reason to fear him. They had of course done the right thing, but I think being afraid of something that's not genuinely scary is in itself downright dangerous - imagine someone would have pushed another student while rushing to get out, or fallen over and broken a limb, these things also happen. 
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
crazy folk are scary

come visit i can prove it >:D

unless of course you are the craziest person in the room [popcorn]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
I had a professor go crazy and start screaming and yelling at us but unfortunately she did not get nekkid. Shame, as she was a total MILF...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
The professor has probably been getting closer and closer and closer to insanity for a long time  :lol:

;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
I had a professor go crazy and start screaming and yelling at us...

I made that happen in sixth grade.
Knew there'd be hell to pay when I got home, but it was worth it.

Was also the last time my dad tried to use "the belt".  Five pairs of tighty whities had him aiming at the small of the back and lower thighs. 

My lack of response kept him drunk and stoned for over a week.
7-11 was a part time job.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »

The guy is obviously not a criminal and had mental issues. Hospital is the place for him, not the lockup. He's going to have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life. I don't see piling BS charges on him, that would be dismissed if the courts have any shred of humanity left, would help the matter.

Or honestly do you believe 100% obvious medical issues should be dealt with by criminal sanctions?

Are you kidding? 

I'd prefer to fight someone trained in martial arts than a crazy person. Crazy folks tend to be quite strong, don't stop kicking until long after they shouldn't be, and don't always STOP when they should.

Bump that. I'm keeping a distance and calling the cops/medics.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
The guy is obviously not a criminal and had mental issues. Hospital is the place for him, not the lockup. He's going to have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life. I don't see piling BS charges on him, that would be dismissed if the courts have any shred of humanity left, would help the matter.

Or honestly do you believe 100% obvious medical issues should be dealt with by criminal sanctions?

I'd prefer to fight someone trained in martial arts than a crazy person. Crazy folks tend to be quite strong, don't stop kicking until long after they shouldn't be, and don't always STOP when they should.

Bump that. I'm keeping a distance and calling the cops/medics.

and if you know they are looney toons its hard to get motivated to do what needs to be done. you know its not their fault
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Maybe he just shed his clothes in order to better lead a Spartan lifestyle.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
Maybe he just shed his clothes in order to better lead a Spartan lifestyle.

He needs to shed some pounds first  [barf]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
I had a professor go crazy and start screaming and yelling at us but unfortunately she did not get nekkid. Shame, as she was a total MILF...

We used to set off our french teacher on a regualr basis. Luckly, he also did not take his clothes off. He also was legally blind so the erasers he threw at us never hit the targets.
Poor Mr. Keith, we were really mean to him.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »
BTW - East Lansing is a long way from Detroit.