Author Topic: Hoodathunkit? Honest cops!  (Read 1158 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Hoodathunkit? Honest cops!
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:15 AM »
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/06/enter-at-your-own-risk-police-union-says-war-like-detroit-is-unsafe-for-visitors/

The men and women of the Detroit Police Department believe the city is too dangerous to enter, and they want citizens to know it.

OK, so most of the activity was a pity=party for the cops who have not been able to find jobs elsewhere - yet.  But you got to admire them for, inadvertantly or not, telling the truth.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Hoodathunkit? Honest cops!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
So...

"gives us MOAR monies!" ???
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
So...

"gives us MOAR monies!" ???

Essentially, yes. However, Detroit does not have the revenue to do so from economic devastation. Caused by population exodus, business collapse, real estimate collapse and corruption.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Could you make it any bigger?  I actually took off my cheaters and moved away from the computer to read it.

=D ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Let me see.

They are whinging because there are 1,000 fewer officer then there was 10 years ago (There also a helluva lots less Detrioters).

They have to work a lot.  (Really?!?!  Several stories I've seen stated that it takes several HOURS for them to respond to 911 calls).

There's a high crime rate ("Lowlife vultures picking the flesh off the dead..")

And they just took cut in pay and benefits. (Your city is broke, what did you expect.)

Be glad you have a nice paying .gov job.  You choose (hell had to work to get it) that job.  Now go do it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
Could you make it any bigger?  I actually took off my cheaters and moved away from the computer to read it.

=D ;)

Sorry.  I just cut & pasted the url-thingy for the graphic into the "insert image" brackets.

I am technologically challenged to the point that being able to successfully do that the first time is a major accomplishment.

And do you seriously expect me to inspect my work?  You are luckty I did it in the first place.

I'm not looking for a break, but a bit of love thrown my way wouldn't hurt, would it?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm not looking for a break, but a bit of love thrown my way wouldn't hurt, would it?

Okay. We love you.

A bit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
I'm not sure what they mean about the 12 hour shifts.  That is a normal schedule for the local cops.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
I'm not sure what they mean about the 12 hour shifts.  That is a normal schedule for the local cops.

Or security guards, or military. I've been doing 12 hour shifts for the last 10 years. Someone give them a straw.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »
So they can SUCK IT UP??????
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
So they can SUCK IT UP??????

We have a winner!  =D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 05:42:10 AM »
Or security guards, or military. I've been doing 12 hour shifts for the last 10 years. Someone give them a straw.

Right there with you - closing on 15 years of 12-hour rotating shifts (days one week, nights the next - heck, I'm doing a 24-hour turnaround for open-shift coverage on Friday, rolling from days M-Th to nights Friday and Saturday!), and that's on top of 6 years in the Navy before that. Did probably a couple of years worth of five-and-dimes while on the TR. Someone complaining about 12-hour STATIC shifts? Cry me a freakin' river.  ;/

Undermanned, you say? No stranger to that either. Job I'm at has been at ~90% manning, on average, since before I got here; we've had about 1.5 years of nominally-full manning, ~2 being 1 down, and close to 3 years of being 2-3 people down in a 12 man department, since I got here. Job I was at for 8.5 years prior to this one was also typically undermanned, though less so than my current one - probably ~95% or so on average.

Their complaints find me strangely unmoved.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
Right there with you - closing on 15 years of 12-hour rotating shifts (days one week, nights the next - heck, I'm doing a 24-hour turnaround for open-shift coverage on Friday, rolling from days M-Th to nights Friday and Saturday!), and that's on top of 6 years in the Navy before that. Did probably a couple of years worth of five-and-dimes while on the TR. Someone complaining about 12-hour STATIC shifts? Cry me a freakin' river.  ;/

Undermanned, you say? No stranger to that either. Job I'm at has been at ~90% manning, on average, since before I got here; we've had about 1.5 years of nominally-full manning, ~2 being 1 down, and close to 3 years of being 2-3 people down in a 12 man department, since I got here. Job I was at for 8.5 years prior to this one was also typically undermanned, though less so than my current one - probably ~95% or so on average.

Their complaints find me strangely unmoved.

Was there for my last deployment. Army was so short handed in certain critical fields they were pulling in Navy and Airforce volunteers to fill the slots. Cue me in the sandbox. And even with the extra volunteers it was still 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 6 months straight non-stop due to low manning. These Detroit cops don't have a friggin' clue. (CM&D+Targetting, S2 shop, FOB Salerno, TF Spartan, 3-41 MI Btn., 10th Mtn.)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
Was there for my last deployment. Army was so short handed in certain critical fields they were pulling in Navy and Airforce volunteers to fill the slots. Cue me in the sandbox. And even with the extra volunteers it was still 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 6 months straight non-stop due to low manning. These Detroit cops don't have a friggin' clue. (CM&D+Targetting, S2 shop, FOB Salerno, TF Spartan, 3-41 MI Btn., 10th Mtn.)

Yeah, like I said, I got some of that in the Navy, but it sounds like you had it worse there than I did.

Chronic low manning sucks, no two ways about it.