Poll

Which is it?  (Feel free to add your own - I'm stumped for terms)

tragedy
1 (2.9%)
pathos
2 (5.7%)
pity
3 (8.6%)
pathetic
8 (22.9%)
WTF
4 (11.4%)
?
4 (11.4%)
?
3 (8.6%)
?
3 (8.6%)
?
3 (8.6%)
?
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: So what would you call this situation  (Read 3339 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
So what would you call this situation
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
tragedy - a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction

pathos - the quality or power in an actual life experience or in literature, music, speech, or other forms of expression, of evoking a feeling of pity or compassion

pity - sympathetic sorrow for one suffering, distressed, or unhappy

pathetic - having a capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptuous pity

Definitions provided to prevent confusion.  Go read http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/how-much-is-a-mans-virginity-worth-20121009-27arz.html , but only after removing objects that are breakable, flingable, or might hurt you if they get between your head and the desk.

As $Diety is my witness, this story checks out.  As best I can tell, there is not one fake, phoney, or even over-blown word in the story.

I am stuck putting a word to my reaction to the story.  Please help me figure what word comes the closest to being appropriate.  If it's not on the list, feel free to add it.

stay safe.

PS - I blame Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.  He posted it first.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: So what would you call this situation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
What's her's up to?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
And the cruelest twist of all may be that although Alexander says he's specified bidders should be female, the filmmakers have confirmed this is in fact "open". Whether male or female, Alexander is contracted to have sex with the highest bidder.

Oh snap
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
What's her's up to?

Reading articles is really so over-rated.

the auction of fellow participant Catarina (a pseudonym she is using) now up to $190,000. Of the 800 or so bids – legitimate or otherwise – an overwhelming majority (around 650) are for Catarina.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
Foolishly, epically, pathetically stoopid.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
I'll take "all of the above and more I can't think of" for $1,300, Alex. :facepalm: =| :O ???
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
Meh. He answered an online ad, I assume he understood what was expected of him before he signed anything. The only thing I can see being truely unfair is if he really didn't understand a man could win the auction.

Other then that, the concept of "we are going to sell your virginity to the highest bidder" is pretty straight forward.

So, no I don't feel sorry for him. His psyc issues are not ones that indicate mental incapacity. He's an adult, and he made a desicion. I don't see why I should feel sorry for him or why the article is making him out to be a virgin sacrifice.

As for the auction itself and the facination with virgins, it's not uncommen, nor is it anything new.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
Foolishly, epically, pathetically stoopid.

For him, maybe. but i'd bet there are plenty of oversexed young virgin males out there who would jump on this in five seconds flat. And for them, I would say two years of attention, money, living expensies and medical care, plus getting to have sex at the end of it, would be considered awesome.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Meh. He answered an online ad, I assume he understood what was expected of him before he signed anything. The only thing I can see being truely unfair is if he really didn't understand a man could win the auction.

Other then that, the concept of "we are going to sell your virginity to the highest bidder" is pretty straight forward.

... And for this guy, they didn't specify what KIND of virginity of his is up for auction.  There are guys bidding here, for his virginity.  No pitcher/catcher specification.

Assuming for a second I was dumb enough to get into this situation and we're only talking about the traditional notion of a man's virginity (a penis that has not penetrated a vagina), and a man wins it and expects butsecks... I am just not going to be able to perform.  Just not interested.  Women can substitute chemicals for interest.  But for a man, interest is kinda mandatory in order for the plumbing to work right. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
Reading articles is really so over-rated.

stay safe.

Sorry, just skimmed it, once I got the gist of the story.

And in his case, apparently so is reading contracts....

:rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
... And for this guy, they didn't specify what KIND of virginity of his is up for auction.  There are guys bidding here, for his virginity.  No pitcher/catcher specification.

Assuming for a second I was dumb enough to get into this situation and we're only talking about the traditional notion of a man's virginity (a penis that has not penetrated a vagina), and a man wins it and expects butsecks... I am just not going to be able to perform.  Just not interested.  Women can substitute chemicals for interest.  But for a man, interest is kinda mandatory in order for the plumbing to work right. 

Meh. I'm guess that most men who'd be intrested in buying someones virginity are going to want to be pitcher anyway. So, I highly doubt that will be an issue.

And if he's that nervous, being able to preform with a women may be an issue as well.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Oh crap...

This is yet another one of those "If I were a multi-millionaire" deals...

I'd swoop in, make the high bid, then take him on a vacation to see the U.S. and Las Vegas, then hook him up with the best, kindest, er.. professional women I could find who would be fully briefed on his situation and anxieties beforehand.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
This is just insanely *expletive deleted*ed up. Possibly one of the most *expletive deleted*ed up things I have ever read about that doesn't involve killing someone.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »
This is just insanely *expletive deleted*ed up. Possibly one of the most *expletive deleted*ed up things I have ever read about that doesn't involve killing someone.

Challenge accepted.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »

yep.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I would just love to be able to buy BOTH of them....

and send them together on a long cruise of the Italian and Greek Isles.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
the facination with virgins

Most jobs require experience.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
Most jobs require experience.

It's more of a novelty item.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

Not even close.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
Meh.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
To answer the thread header, "So what would you call this situation?" I'd have to say the whole situation is a revolting testament to what our society is becoming. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
To answer the thread header, "So what would you call this situation?" I'd have to say the whole situation is a revolting testament to what our society is becoming. 

Fully agree...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
Freedom is ugly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »

Meh, always been this way. The only difference is modern communications that brings it to people who might otherwise not know it was going on.

Clay tablets from Mesopotamia discussing temple prostitutes.

Greek vases. (Are those boys playing leapfrog?)

Roman bordello tokens with pictures of the activity you had paid for.

Erotic artwork in the pages of medieval bibles and books of prayers and Psalms.

The Khajuraho temples in India that have the whole Kama Sutra (and more...) carved onto their sides.

Neolithic dildos... (no... really.)   :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
Meh, always been this way. The only difference is modern communications that brings it to people who might otherwise not know it was going on.

Clay tablets from Mesopotamia discussing temple prostitutes.

Greek vases. (Are those boys playing leapfrog?)

Roman bordello tokens with pictures of the activity you had paid for.

Erotic artwork in the pages of medieval bibles and books of prayers and Psalms.

The Khajuraho temples in India that have the whole Kama Sutra (and more...) carved onto their sides.

Neolithic dildos... (no... really.)   :laugh:

Exactly. Humans are pervs by nature.

The battle between those who acknowledge it and those who want to repress it is where the trouble comes in.

But the simple fact that people are pervs really shouldn't shock people in this day and age.