Author Topic: Would you do this for $70K a week?  (Read 1747 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Would you do this for $70K a week?
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
OK, let's set the "rules" for answering the question.  It's probable that nobody is going to condone the underlying activity, so no comments on the legality or morality of stealing.  The focus on chick flicks is also out of bounds for this discussion - it seems it's difficult to steal from women who are preoccupied and focused on the screen if you try it at action flicks ("average" APS women excluded).  And finally, you have to grant me one assumption since I am not a chick and do not go to the movies to watch chick flicks - that assumption is that chick flicks are shown in the same movie theaters as all other types of movies.

So - would you do this for $70K a week?

http://tinyurl.com/8ggymmx

A Philadelphia man who may have stolen as much as $70,000 per week by slithering on floors to lift credit cards from unsuspecting moviegoers has been convicted of fraud and identity theft crimes.

Johnson, of Philadelphia, typically worked with female accomplices. They purchased tickets to see films geared toward female moviegoers and chose seats where they could watch where those woman stored their pocketbooks.

"Once the movie started, Johnson crawled on the floor, removed credit cards from the stored purses, and returned the wallet to the purses," according to an FBI affidavit. "Johnson crawled in this manner around the theater until he was done … "

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Would you do this for $70K a week?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
setting the ethics of stealing aside?    i have worked in some pretty nasty crawlspaces for not even close to that amount of money, so in that regard you can count me in.  now, having to put up with a chick flick blaring in the background  (shudder).
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »
Movie theatre's are nasty unclean places.  Ick.  But there are people out there who do worse legal jobs for lower pay.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »
That would make an interesting Dirty Jobs episode  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
I have apparently led an ignorant and sheltered life: how can you make up to $ 70K per week stealing credit cards?  Do you get cash advances on them?  Do you buy merchandise with them and then return the goods for cash?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
I'm surprised that he could slither.

Most theater floors seem to be made up of equal parts Stikem, fly paper, glue, and a pine tar equivalent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
I'm surprised that he could slither.

Most theater floors seem to be made up of equal parts Stikem, fly paper, glue, and a pine tar equivalent.
Mabye he greased himself at the popcorn butter dispenser.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
Call me naive, but I simply don't understand how he got away with it for so long. The only place he could "slither" would be up and down the main aisles, right? I've never been in a theater that had luxurious enough seating to allow someone to slither through rows without being detected, because it seems they'd be slithering over people's feet and stuff to get around where seats are mounted to the floor. If you're crawling up and down the main aisles, even in a dark theater, it seems someone would be bound to see you.

Apparently I'm wrong though, because the $70K speaks for itself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
I am sort of assuming he slithered across empty rows and reached under seats to get to the purses and such.  How he moved between rows I don't know.  I figure he would have to pick his opportunities very carefully.

IMO, he could probably make as much or enough money doing less work.  He could get a job as a garbage man up in Massachusetts. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Yup a carefully choreographed use of the random empty areas during each show. I'll even bet they were savvy to some usual seating patterns that occurred plus various placements of purses that made them easir to access. But yea, I worked in a theater for a while, I'd have to agree with the greased himself with butter theory.  My shoes always stuck to the floor when I walked between rows. [barf]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
Still not getting how this is possible. The seats are on "steps" so each row is higher than the row in front of it. Unless he has arms/wrists/hands smaller than mine, I can't see how he could reach between the bottom of the seatback and the ledge in the next row. But I also don't know a single woman who puts her purse on the floor in the theater. Hanging on an arm rest, sitting in the sit to one side of her (BAD), or next to her in her own seat. Or, like me, my ID and funds are in my pocket and purse is locked in my vehicle or left at home.

All that said, no. I cringe to think of the bottoms of my shoes on the theater floor, much less any other part of my person, not even if I were attired in a haz-mat suit. Just ick.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
Still not getting how this is possible. The seats are on "steps" so each row is higher than the row in front of it. Unless he has arms/wrists/hands smaller than mine, I can't see how he could reach between the bottom of the seatback and the ledge in the next row.

A lot of theaters just have an inclined floor.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
So, if stealing and movies are not part of the equation, then the question really is - would I crawl around on a movie theatre floor for $70K a year.  Sure.  Has to be better than listening to people babble about timelines in meetings.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
So, if stealing and movies are not part of the equation, then the question really is - would I crawl around on a movie theatre floor for $70K a year.  Sure.  Has to be better than listening to people babble about timelines in meetings.
no, it isn't.   =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
So - would you do this for $70K a week?

Is that before taxes or after?
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
Is that before taxes or after?

A man who learns from History!

He's not going down like Capone did for not declaring income and paying taxes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.