Author Topic: Are some of us more equal ...?  (Read 951 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Are some of us more equal ...?
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »
Starting this here in RT, but would not be surprised to find it moved to Poly-Ticks.

http://dcist.com/2012/11/wanna_cut_the_line_to_vote_just_bec.php

Now, there is a way to cut the line. It's a closely guarded secret, but we'll let you in on it. Ready? Just get yourself appointed to the Supreme Court. Got that?

Would we hold it against Sotomayor for jumping the line? Of course not—the court is hearing arguments in two cases today, after all, and it wouldn't be any good for her to miss those because she's trying to cast her ballot.

And just how far in advance did Associate Justice Sotamayor know SCOTUS would be hearinh cases on 11/6/12?

Isn't attending court one of the "excuses" allowed for absentee voting?  Actually, DC has no list of acceptable reasons for absentee voting - you can do it just because.  http://www.dcboee.org/pdf_files/DCBOEE_AbsenteeBallotRequestForm.pdf

They even have early voting for those that have already made up their minds before they close the curtain and wonder which lever to pull.  https://www.dcboee.org/election_info/election_year2012/

Or would I just be jealous if I lived in DC?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Are some of us more equal ...?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »
Got to get herself out in the public eye doing her civic duty. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Sotamayor making a political run some time in the future.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
Got to get herself out in the public eye doing her civic duty. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Sotamayor making a political run some time in the future.

Has anyone ever left the Supreme Court and then gone on to political office?
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

Not SCOTUS, but Alcee Hastings won a seat in Congress after being impeached and removed from the federal courts.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
She's relatively young and I see her as ambitious and a little narcissistic, I doubt she gets the public adoration she craves as just a SCOTUS Judge. There is a first time for everything.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
She's relatively young and I see her as ambitious and a little narcissistic, I doubt she gets the public adoration she craves as just a SCOTUS Judge. There is a first time for everything.

IMHO, only a fool would give up an appointment to SCOTUS.  Lifetime job with minimal responsibilities, and the chances for removal slim at best...

I'd take that job, if she wants to vacate for me.   =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
Sorry Chris, you're not a wise latina...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

Wasn't the first Chief Justice, John Jay, the CJ before he became governor of New York?

Yep. Chief Justice from 1789-1795. Governor of New York 1795-1801.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
IMHO, only a fool would give up an appointment to SCOTUS.  Lifetime job with minimal responsibilities, and the chances for removal slim at best...

I'd take that job, if she wants to vacate for me.   =D

What Chris said. It's a guaranteed paycheck, that is nearly impossible to be fired from. Usually, you're retiring if you leave the SCOTUS bench. Power wise, they're just slightly less powerful than the POTUS in many ways. Sure, it's not pro-active. But they are the ultimate authority in the US. They can overrule both the President and Congress, invent law on a whim, deny any law or the Constitution on a whim and pontificate at their leisure.

Not a bad gig. Course, most Justices are aware that they're above virtually everything. And that if they flouted their power too much, it'd not go well. They command no bodies with rifles, and they're not given legitimacy through direct votes. I'm not saying this is bad, just a very powerful and unaccountable position, BUT it is hobbled with little force projection to back up their edicts.

"The Chief Justice! How many divisions has he got?"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.