Author Topic: Aurora-style mass shooting averted  (Read 1782 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Aurora-style mass shooting averted
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/cdyb2nf

Police in Bolivar, Mo. said they uncovered a young man's plan to commit mass murder at a screening of the new "Twilight" movie.

According to court documents obtained by KCTV, [name redacted to deny him recognition] planned to carry out a mass shooting at a theater in Bolivar and later decided a better location would be a Walmart, because it would have access to more ammunition

KY3TV reports that [name redacted to deny him recognition] also allegedly told police "he had a lot in common" with people who have carried out recent mass shootings, according to a probable cause statement obtained by the station. "He stated that he was quiet, kind of a loner, had recently purchased firearms and didn't tell anybody about it, and had homicidal thoughts," the statement said.

Even including the homocidal thoughts this nut-job is really not that different from the rest of us. What makes him different, among important tings, is that he has a mother who both keeps tab on what her kid is doing* and is willing to "do the right thing". What makes this guy different from many of the recent mass shooters is that he did not post his plans on FaceBook.

stay safe.

* - It's just a guess, but I do not think he lived in his mother's basement eating Cheetos, drinking Mountain Dew, and playing video games all day and night. And it's also just a guess that his mother was not constantly monitoring (spying) on him.

I am waiting for the anti-gun rights crowd to chime in and say we need to pass another law to make sure something like this sdoes not happen again. He knew there were laws (lots of laws!) against what he was thinking of doing. Those laws do not seem to have made any difference. But apparently, so the anti-gun rights crowd says, we have not passed the law that will be able to stop these things from happening.

IMHO what we as a society ought to do is let his mother know that we support her decision to turn in her son.

(PS - I will brook no questions about where fistful has been, whether he has recently changed his name, or moved back in with his mother.  Nor any comments about working at the mall.  None, I tell you!)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Aurora-style mass shooting averted
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
I haven't been to Bolivar since sometime in the mid-90s.   =) 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
It seems that these people have little interest in guns, until they start hatching these crazy plans.
They are described as "gun nuts" after the events. Gives us real gun nuts a bad name. I'm a gun nut, not a sociopathic homicidal maniac.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
I'm having some moral problems with finding fault with his originally intended target

Does that make me a bad person?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
I'm having some moral problems with finding fault with his originally intended target

Shooting up an audience watching a "Twilight" movie is OK?  ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »

:laugh:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »
Apparantly there is a joke here I missed . . . .  ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
You must have missed the meme of the "Twilight Moms". Grown women, swooning over pubescent metrosexuals in a manner that, had genders been reversed, would have caused NOW to be calling for lynching.

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
I haven't been to Bolivar since sometime in the mid-90s.   =) 

I will brook no questions about where fistful has been, whether he has recently changed his name, or moved back in with his mother.  Nor any comments about working at the mall.  None, I tell you!
means you, too.

Now go stand in the corner.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
It's not a mall anymore. It's a construction zone in the throes of becoming a mixed-use property.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
I was sort of wondering why Black Friday crowds would not be a target for some of these people.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 05:37:23 PM »
I was sort of wondering why Black Friday crowds would not be a target for some of these people.

Too dangerous! No one can stop a mob of women when there's a sale at Macy's.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
Too dangerous! No one can stop a mob of women when there's a sale at Macy's.

Or after watching my wife, the semi-annual shoe sale at Nordstrom's.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
I remember Bolivar speakers.  They sounded very nice at a reasonable price.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
I remember Bolivar speakers.  They sounded very nice at a reasonable price.

What do speakers have to do with Venezuela, or Missouri????
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »
You must have missed the meme of the "Twilight Moms". Grown women, swooning over pubescent metrosexuals in a manner that, had genders been reversed, would have caused NOW to be calling for lynching.

So....lusting after Ashley Greene and Anna Kendrick is not OK?..... =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
That would be between you and the deity of your choice...

I WILL say that women who act in a "lustful manner" tend to go WAY overboard. Talk to anybody who has worked in a strip club that does a lady's night, and they'll agree with that assessment...

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
That would be between you and the deity of your choice...

I WILL say that women who act in a "lustful manner" tend to go WAY overboard. Talk to anybody who has worked in a strip club that does a lady's night, and they'll agree with that assessment...

Side note, sorry for the digression, but every time I see my autoclave quote in your sig line it makes me smile, even if I'm having a really crappy day.  That was a fun evening.

If I'm home for an extra day or so over the holidays, we should all grab food and drink. 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
What do speakers have to do with Venezuela, or Missouri????

Nothing.  But a lot to do with Bolivar Tennessee:
Bolivar Speaker Works Inc located at Po Box 351, Bolivar TN, 38008.

Police in Bolivar, Mo. said they uncovered a young man's plan to commit mass murder at a screening of the new "Twilight" movie.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
Nothing.  But a lot to do with Bolivar Tennessee:
Bolivar Speaker Works Inc located at Po Box 351, Bolivar TN, 38008.

And Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios Ponte y Blanco was a Venezuelan general who fought for the independence of the Americas from Spain in the 19th century.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
And Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios Ponte y Blanco was a Venezuelan general who fought for the independence of the Americas from Spain in the 19th century.

Browncoat  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Just pointing out the APS thread drift tradition, I guess, Tallpine.  Bolivar, MO becomes Bolivar speakers becomes Simon Bolivar.
--Lysander Spooner

Lee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
Alvin is funnier than Simon.