Author Topic: Obama's Africa Energy Speech  (Read 4526 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Obama's Africa Energy Speech
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
He's going to double electricity supply in Africa.   What's a few more billion dollars.  Solar Panels and a Windmills for everyone.  If they aren't economically feasible here they make even less sense there.  I guess this is his attempt to salvage the US Green Energy industry by giving it more federal money to be embezzled by corrupt African .gov's.  

This going to be great.  ;/  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:40:53 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Obama's Africa Energy Speech
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
So, could we at least maintain electrical output here? =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
So, could we at least maintain electrical output here? =|

No, we can't, you greedy American. How dare you think about taking kilowatt hours out of the mouths of starving Africans?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
It's bad enough we're sinking deeper in debt to pay welfare benefits to our own people (As well as a lot of illegal aliens.)

But going into debt for someone overseas?  :facepalm:

Doing this to America is either idiotic or malicious . . . and every day, it looks more and more like the latter.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
What did we all say to begin with - He is not an American  :mad:

Not that many decades back, most of the rural America West did not have electricity.  The only way that it happened was local private co-ops forming.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I'd be ecstatic if I was an African. Isolated and dispersed shiny things that I can loot to make the stuff I really need or want.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
He's going to double electricity supply in Africa.   What a few more billion dollars.  Solar Panels and a Windmills for everyone.  If they aren't economically feasible here they make even less sense there.  I guess this is his attempt to salvage the US Green Energy industry by giving it more federal money to be embezzled by corrupt African .gov's. 

This going to be great.  ;/ 

Not to start posting monochromed images with "HOPE" on them about the place or anything, but if solar energy makes sense anywhere in the world then it does so in quite a few parts of Africa. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
Not to start posting monochromed images with "HOPE" on them about the place or anything, but if solar energy makes sense anywhere in the world then it does so in quite a few parts of Africa. 

True but, I'd rather he do it with someone else's money. :mad:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Seems like I remember some sort of Christian org back in the early 1990s that was trying to equip huts with simple solar outfits to charge a battery for one or two small lights.   ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »
Yes, it surely makes sense in isolated parts of Africa to use solar to do stuff like help pump safe water supplies, provide a little refrigeration and lighting. But not our money, and without the investment of the people benefiting there is not much incentive for them to shoot people who come to loot their new solar array.
AKA Navy Joe   

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
Extra credit to anyone who can name the seven American states located in Africa  =D

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
I'm guessing that this is a payoff to local despots for allowing the US military to have access to the countries. Only dolled up so that his idiot supporters get the warm fuzzies and look upon him as the Golden Altruist they desperately want him to be.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
I'm guessing that this is a payoff to local despots for allowing the US military to have access to the countries. Only dolled up so that his idiot supporters get the warm fuzzies and look upon him as the Golden Altruist they desperately want him to be.

1) how many of these consessions do we really need?
And
2) how many of these governments are really stable enough to be able to make long term promises?

Maybe it's Obama's fall back for when/if he can be emperor elect of the USA anymore, he'll just take over Africa.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
Find out which solar companies are doing the construction, and you'll find Obama donors and bundlers running the companies. It's payback for last November.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
Through locals who are also wetting their beaks?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
And
2) how many of these governments are really stable enough to be able to make long term promises?

Maybe it's Obama's fall back for when/if he can be emperor elect of the USA anymore, he'll just take over Africa.

What do you mean "when/if" ?   =(

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
What do you mean "when/if" ?   =(

I mean't "can't" and the "if" is acknowledging the off chance he won't LEAVE.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 10:31:45 PM »
And

I'm pretty sure most of Africa wants a black man in charge, so he's straight out.

US military has a very small African footprint and I'd like to say it's because we're smart, more likely because we don't have a big corporate presence there. Mostly Horn of Africa, aka Djibouti so we have a handy base from which to chase pirates and AQ affiliated groups. If we are smart we'll let China take the lead on re-colonizing Africa to get at its natural resource yummies. If that doesn't bankrupt China, nothing will.   
AKA Navy Joe   

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of Africa wants a black man in charge, so he's straight out.

:rofl:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm guessing that this is a payoff to local despots for allowing the US military to have access to the countries.

Us or China.  Geopolitical games being played.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »
Extra credit to anyone who can name the seven American states located in Africa  =D

1) Kenya
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »
Pfft. If he was serious, he'd be touting nuclear. Gabon in Africa is one of the few places in the world to have a natural nuclear reactor. And if it was "natural", it was obviously also "green" technology too.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »

We don't have or want any significant US military presence in Africa. 

As Peter/Preacher says, if PRC wants to bankroll Africa, more power to them. It has plenty of resources, but the political environment is a nightmare. 

If the President wanted to help, I'd say he'd be better off asking some universities to design some solar well pumps with UV filters. Set up a site for donations, use US companies for parts, give the units only. Locals can install.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
Find out which solar companies are doing the construction, and you'll find Obama donors and bundlers running the companies. It's payback for last November.

DING!!! DING !!!  DING !!!!  We have a WINNER !!!!

The Africans aren't perxactly enamoured of the Chinese.  Seems the Chinese come in and bring more Chinese to extract the resources rather than hiring locals.  In fact they do everything they can to avoid, not deal with and ignore the locals.   

Seems China does Empire the old fashioned way.  =|

Meanwhile we do it the new stupid way.  (Let's borrow money from China to give to Africa to squander, but we'll pay back both the principal and interest.  BRILLIANT !!!)  Meanwhile, he can't put together a budget that does one of the very few things required by the Constitution (provide for the common defense), But Hey !!  I guess if we cut 10-15 Combat Brigades we'll have enough money to give Abawounado a Solar Panel and Wind Tubine so he can light his hut with a Chinese made lamp and light bulbs.  And will the Anointed One require him to use CFL or LED's?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
I heard a sound bite from the President this morning which was "I have learned since becoming President, that people expect you to fullfill your promises."  He said it laughingly, but I thought it was pretty stupid and telling of who he is.  He just said he thought he could promise/lie about whatever he wanted and never have to live up to it.  I think he was actually telling the truth.  He was promising everything under the sun and more in his first Presidential campaign and the liberals and media were eating it up without question. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge