Author Topic: Baby-Man collecting SSI, Coburn calls for investigation  (Read 12252 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Baby-Man collecting SSI, Coburn calls for investigation
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
MB, I know that you are aware that quote, in this context, is a strawman argument. =|

I do not believe tht the modern generation is in any way inferior to previous ones.

In fact I am not certain entire generations can even be evaluated in this manner.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
Generations don't come in chunks.  They're continuous.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SteveT

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
SteveT,

The problem is that in the current employment climate combined with this litigious society, people who have disabilities that require "heavy" medications, frequent stops to sit, trips to the restroom to vomit, etc., are marginalized. I've had a pretty much impossible time finding employment, and it's not for a lack of skills (two associate's degrees) or experience (I've held jobs as a gunsmith, tool and die room manager, apartment maintenance manager, copy center manager, grocery clerk, car salesman, gun store employee, jeweler, leatherworker, and more I can't remember this moment).

My interviews (a few times a month, mind you!) generally go like this...

Them: Well, you seem qualified for our company, but your credit check shows quite a bit of debt. What's the story with that?
Me: Oh, that's medical bills, which I've been paying off since about 2006, but I've not missed one single payment since I set up payment plans.
Them: Medical bills? This kind of credit score reflects at least a mid-five-digit debt.
Me: Yes, it does.
Them: Well, what kind of medical issues do you have?
Me: Things here and there, but they're mostly under control. I am able to work.
Them: I do need to know, since we offer insurance.
Me: I don't want to get insurance through my employer - never have, never want it.
Them: Uh-huh, but I still need to know for health and safety reasons.
Me: Okay, here's a brief overview.... [I fill him in with the details]
Them: Thanks for your time. We'll let you know.

And I never hear back. Ever. :(

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I usually get lumped in with the "about 30 years old, lazy, waste of space, leeching off society". It's frustrating, but even though I feel I can work, and I keep trying to get a job in many different fields, no one will hire me regardless of the fact I'll do skilled labor for minimum wage.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes the treatment for only a moderate disability can completely eclipse the possibility of gainful employment.

EDIT: Tallpine, you understand perfectly. Frustrating as hell, no? =|

Sorry to copy and paste the same post twice but I thought of something.

I'm sure the under 30s ("lazy, waste of space, leeching off society"0 have similar stories to tell.   Albeit for different reasons.    When the job market sucks this kind of *expletive deleted*it happens.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Good.God. I feel like I need a shower after reading that article.

FWIW, IronPort is throwing warnings about "baby-man's" website hosting malware.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

PTK

• friends
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
Sorry to copy and paste the same post twice but I thought of something.

I'm sure the under 30s ("lazy, waste of space, leeching off society") have similar stories to tell.   Albeit for different reasons.    When the job market sucks this kind of *expletive deleted* happens.

Did you really just equate those of us with genuine problems and reams of documentation to prove such with the "man" in the article? =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

SteveT

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Did you really just equate those of us with genuine problems and reams of documentation to prove such with the "man" in the article? =|

That guy?   Absolutely not.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
Just asking. I wouldn't have ragged on you for that opinion in either case, as it is the normal, mainstream perception. :)

Also, thanks for being civil - some folks (mostly on other forums, mind) don't seem to have that ability. I'm glad you stopped lurking and started posting more often, you seem to be adding quite a bit to the discussion.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."

Unfortunately, the situation some of us rail against today is not exactly unprecedented, and, guess what, a lot of those previous jeremiads were indeed predictive of major cultural and historical shifts.  Unconsidered pessimism is foolish; so is unconsidered optimism.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveT

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
Just asking. I wouldn't have ragged on you for that opinion in either case, as it is the normal, mainstream perception. :)

Also, thanks for being civil - some folks (mostly on other forums, mind) don't seem to have that ability. I'm glad you stopped lurking and started posting more often, you seem to be adding quite a bit to the discussion.

Thanks for the compliment.   

I think with regards to your situation and the many others in your situation we have three choices.   These three choices speak to a lot of our choices about everything else as well.

1.  Employment is free market.   Employers can discriminate against anyone for any reason.   It's their money to spend.

2.  Control that market.   Discrimination against certain groups (hopefully not for ability, at least not yet) is illegal.  Credit checks should be controlled.   Only for financial and other fiduciary positions say.  No discrimination against disability if you can do the job.

3. Just pay everyone who needs work and is ready, willing and able to work a sustenance salary until they find work.

In addition to any other consideration the problem with choice #2 and #3 is fraud.   The cost of checking up on this is greater than the cost of just sending everyone a check.   You'd almost need to assign everyone their own personal government minder.   

So what happens is that the canard of disability, or so called "means testing" is created.   What it really ends up being in reality is just the shutting up and warehousing of the loudest of our non-contributing members of society.   Imagine the pain in the ass Baby-Man was to his minders before he was approved for SSI.   How'd you like to spend years of your life as his social worker?

Reading about your interview process PTK, I personally feel for your situation.   It sucks.   If the employment situation in the US wasn't so FUBAR all of this would be a lot easier.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
I dunno....I'm starting to warm up to the idea. :laugh:
http://www.ineedamommy.com/main.htm

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Unfortunately, the situation some of us rail against today is not exactly unprecedented, and, guess what, a lot of those previous jeremiads were indeed predictive of major cultural and historical shifts.  Unconsidered pessimism is foolish; so is unconsidered optimism.

Exactly.  There have been more than enough "decline and falls" that such quotes ought to be prudential, not a jibe.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
Quote from: PTK
Also, thanks for being civil - some folks (mostly on other forums, mind) don't seem to have that ability.

Quote from: PTK
I'm glad you stopped lurking and started posting more often, you seem to be adding quite a bit to the discussion.

+1 I agree with both observations, P. (Can I call you "P"?)  =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
Group hug!

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »
Kum by yah, my Lord...   :-*

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.