Author Topic: Can we bring back DDT yet?  (Read 8442 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Can we bring back DDT yet?
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Mosquitoes 20 times the size of regular ones.  Highly aggressive.  Oh, and their bite is quite painful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338446/Gallinippers-invade-Monster-mosquitoes-20-TIMES-size-normal-bug-invade-central-Florida-heavy-rains.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Use_against_malaria

I hope Rachel Carson is smoking a turd in hell.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Can we bring back DDT yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
DDT?

•Exposure to DDT is harmful to the nervous system. People exposed to high levels exhibit dizziness, tremor, irritability, and convulsions. Workers with longer term exposure have lasting neurological and cognitive problems.
•Pregnant women exposed to DDT are more likely to have premature or small-for-gestational-age babies. DDT is considered a hormone disrupting chemical due to its estrogen-like properties.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
DDT?

People exposed to high levels exhibit dizziness, tremor, irritability, and convulsions.

Inflammatory rhetoric.  Without information specific to exposure concentration, exposure type, and typical exposure mechanisms, the statement is meaningless, serving no informative purpose.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
Inflammatory rhetoric.  Without information specific to exposure concentration, exposure type, and typical exposure mechanisms, the statement is meaningless, serving no informative purpose.

Brad

I volunteer you to be the test subject.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
I volunteer you to be the test subject.

My grandpa already was.  Damn near bathed in it every year on the farm.  Pissed blood every year afterwards and eventually got prostate cancer.

Still, I would bring back DDT in an instant.  My grandpa endured with zero safety gear was in quantities that would choke a goat. 

DDT works, is not as dangerous as the Silent Spring fraudster claimed, and is persistent.  Many millions of swarthy third-worlders have perished for the preening self-regard exhibited by Western environmentalists.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
but it sold a lotta books
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
My grandpa already was.  Damn near bathed in it every year on the farm.  Pissed blood every year afterwards and eventually got prostate cancer.

Still, I would bring back DDT in an instant.  My grandpa endured with zero safety gear was in quantities that would choke a goat. 

DDT works, is not as dangerous as the Silent Spring fraudster claimed, and is persistent.  Many millions of swarthy third-worlders have perished for the preening self-regard exhibited by Western environmentalists.

Yep, with modern equipment and safety gear, and a lot more "use just enough" science behind it, targeted applications, I'd wager that DDT is actually a lot safer than many of the other organophosphates that have come up to replace it. I have a gut feeling that because the threshold for exposure problems was so high with DDT, that's what led to it's over-use in the first place.

I get a teeny mist-droplet of wasp spray floating back on me or some malathion, and my lips are tingly and numb for an hour or more.  [tinfoil]

I'd like to see the LD-50, MSDS comparisons, and teratogenic and carcinogenic breakdown of DDT versus gasoline...
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
I get a teeny mist-droplet of wasp spray floating back on me or some malathion, and my lips are tingly and numb for an hour or more.  [tinfoil]

The other day I moved some ant/roach killer and the bottle busted in my hands, squirting it all over my hand & wrist.  I washed it off pronto, but I am still paranoid that the subsequent runny nose may have been from the nerve agent in the spray and not my hay fever.  [tinfoil]  [tinfoil]

Normally, when I use it I wear long sleeves, long pants, a mask, and eyepro.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Mosquitoes 20 times the size of regular ones.  Highly aggressive.  Oh, and their bite is quite painful.

Good thing about living in the North is that ice and cold kill off any notion of giant insects, poisonous reptiles, and other unwanted vermin.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
People exposed to high levels

Define "High Levels".

Are we talking Alar scare levels?  Or the one drop per (averaged sized) room that keeps 'skeeters out for up to a year in many 3rd world countries?

Was it overused in the 40's-50's and 60's.  Hell yes.  So was pretty much everything.  If a little was good, then a lot was betterer.

The DDT ban strikes me as similar to any gun ban.   (He misused it, so no one can have it.)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
I'm sure there are millions of Africans in the lowveldt who are so thankful they only have to endure malaria, rather than suffer poisoning by that horrible DDT.

...Damn near bathed in it every year on the farm.  Pissed blood every year afterwards and eventually got prostate cancer...
Dose means a lot . . . there's plenty of evidence that one aspirin or one glass of red wine a day has a beneficial effect; polishing off a bottle of either every day might not be such a good idea.

Good thing about living in the North is that ice and cold kill off any notion of giant insects, poisonous reptiles, and other unwanted vermin.
Back in MN, the mosquito was regarded as the state bird - some wooded areas just outside the Twin Cities routinely cataloged bite rates of over 2000/hour. And a former colleague killed a timber rattler in his garage near Stillwater, near the St. Croix river.

. . . and other unwanted vermin.
Except for Democrats.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Define "High Levels".

Are we talking Alar scare levels?  Or the one drop per (averaged sized) room that keeps 'skeeters out for up to a year in many 3rd world countries?

Was it overused in the 40's-50's and 60's.  Hell yes.  So was pretty much everything.  If a little was good, then a lot was betterer.

The DDT ban strikes me as similar to any gun ban.   (He misused it, so no one can have it.)

DDT also doesn't break down like many of the newer pesticides. Overtime it will accumulate in to higher and higher concentrations as it is used. DDT also accumulates into the fat on animals and this is transported into the animal that eats them. So a mosquitos treated will ddt gets eaten by a dragon fly, those get eaten by a trout, which is eaten by a salmon, which gets served up to you for dinner. Same applies to the herbiovores who eats plant material in areas where ddt is used.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Hank beat me to it, but I thought there were areas up North where animals had to be kept inside at certain times of the year or they would be dead by morning. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
DDT also doesn't break down like many of the newer pesticides. Overtime it will accumulate in to higher and higher concentrations as it is used. DDT also accumulates into the fat on animals and this is transported into the animal that eats them. So a mosquitos treated will ddt gets eaten by a dragon fly, those get eaten by a trout, which is eaten by a salmon, which gets served up to you for dinner. Same applies to the herbiovores who eats plant material in areas where ddt is used.
I am curious, has there been any rigorous study on the effects on predator birds?  I don't know how much was truth and how much was hype.  I am pretty sure there are more predator birds where I grew up today than their were 30 years ago.  I don't know if it was due to DDT or other factors.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination.

As far as removing the ban, it wouldn't hurt to remove the ban at least for certain uses or concentrations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
DDT does breakdown.  Generally into DDE and DDD.  However, I'm not advocating indiscriminate spraying as was done in the 40's through 60's.   DDT is not VX where "one drop will kill you".  

It's like every other chemical we use.  Overuse it and it's bad.  Use the right amount and it can be very helpful and save lives.
Malaria remains a major public health challenge in many countries. 2008 WHO estimates were 243 million cases, and 863,000 deaths.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »
APS, I am dissapoint. =( I figured by now we'd have some theories on how these 'skeeters can be weaponized. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
DDT does breakdown.  Generally into DDE and DDD.  However, I'm not advocating indiscriminate spraying as was done in the 40's through 60's.   DDT is not VX where "one drop will kill you".  

It's like every other chemical we use.  Overuse it and it's bad.  Use the right amount and it can be very helpful and save lives.

You know that they are working on a malaria vaccination.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

I'm sure the 800k plus folks who die this year will be relieved to hear that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Regarding the Big Mosquitos, I looked at the pictures and that mosquito doesn't look all that big to me.  That looks like a typical salt marsh mosquito we have around here quite often.  I hear they can travel many miles in the right conditions.

My boss and I attended a local emergeny planning committee meeting once and they guy who is in charge of mosquito spraying for hte county was there to speak.  He said something like 80% of the known varieties of mosquitos in Texas live in this county.  They put a lot of money into spraying via trucks and planes.  I think I would hate to live down here if that stopped.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
APS, I am dissapoint. =( I figured by now we'd have some theories on how these 'skeeters can be weaponized. 
How do you know that isn't what we are looking at?   :O

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
Y'all forget Scout's terminal.

Do you think he really cares if he sucks down a bunch of DDT this late during his earthly shuffle?

;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

Laser beams on their heads?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »

And have been for quite awhile.  But until there is one (and assuming the current Playmate of the Month doesn't go around convincing people that it makes their kids Autistic/ADD/ADHD) we should use what is known to work to prevent the spread of disease.  

Maybe we should end the use of sanitary sewers and let them work on developing a Dysentery vaccine?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:49:30 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
Y'all forget Scout's terminal.

Do you think he really cares if he sucks down a bunch of DDT this late during his earthly shuffle?

;)

That actually was one of the advantages of being on chemo.  Mosquitoes wouldn't land on me or even come near.     :O =D ;) >:D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.