Author Topic: Pentagon set to reduce Army to pre-WWII levels  (Read 7785 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Pentagon set to reduce Army to pre-WWII levels
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/politics/pentagon-plans-to-shrink-army-to-pre-world-war-ii-level.html?_r=1

Appears they mean the entire .mil not just the Army but I'm not entirely sure.

If this was accompanied by a commensurate reduction in world policing and starting land wars we don't intend to win and occupations we have no intention of actually finishing I would be for it. I suspect it will merely mean dramatically increased op-tempo, reduction in quality training and maintenance (but not PC BS), and the fleeing of quality personnel.

The article really annoyed me as it makes this unstated assumption that if we spool down now we would not be able to ramp back up for a large war in the future. Demonstrably false.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Pentagon set to reduce Army to pre-WWII levels
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
Let's hope this force reduction doesn't result in some foreign entity getting all trigger happy and starting something truly nasty that initiates WW3.  

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."~~  Plato.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »
If this was accompanied by a commensurate reduction in world policing and starting land wars we don't intend to win and occupations we have no intention of actually finishing I would be for it.

A worthy goal in and of itself  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
Well, as long as we get the openly fruity and women into infantry units while reducing standards, it will be worth it.  Because the .mil was originally created so that a slim minority of cultural marxists could bugger it silly while forcing it to salute the flag.  Great for laughs all around.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »
With a reduction in force comes a greater reliance on military contractors.  I do think that is the main purpose. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »
With a reduction in force comes a greater reliance on military contractors.  I do think that is the main purpose. 

Err, maybe.  No way you are going to replace any of the heavy, SBCT, or infantry units with contractors.  And some of those are slated for destruction.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
It's in keeping with that small, agile force BS. Hope they keep the equipment, we will get into another real war eventually, not just Team America stuff. Of course within the budget proposal is to keep the F-35 on track and scrap the A-10s since the former has proven its ground attack prowess and the latter is just an expensive boondoggle. Oh wait....
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »

As retention and training suffer, will not the base of potential skilled contractors also shrink?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
So will the Pentagon staffing and the NSA also shrink to pre-WWII levels?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Pentagon set to reduce Army to pre-WWII levels
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
So will the Pentagon staffing and the NSA also shrink to pre-WWII levels?
I'm going with...no.

This, simply put, stupid in all manner of ways.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
Look at the CIC, he hates the military, he hates that the US is the lone supper power, he hates our freedoms. No wonder he weakening out power and influence.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  Let's hope whatever fills it, is benevolent.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
It's in keeping with that small, agile force BS. Hope they keep the equipment, we will get into another real war eventually, not just Team America stuff. Of course within the budget proposal is to keep the F-35 on track and scrap the A-10s since the former has proven its ground attack prowess and the latter is just an expensive boondoggle. Oh wait....

Don't they keep trying to scrap the A-10 and then keep bringing it back because they literally don't have anything else that fills the same role?

Seems kinda dumb to me.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »
As I recall my history, at some point this means we will be stenciling "Tank" on the side of Ford pick-ups.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
Don't they keep trying to scrap the A-10 and then keep bringing it back because they literally don't have anything else that fills the same role?

Seems kinda dumb to me.

Difference is, congresscritters dont have a financial interest in that airframe ;-)

It's a scary time to be in the military. They're cutting all the wrong things, IMO. Meanwhile, continued frustration is driving good junior officers and good NCOs from the service, leaving the turds to float to the top.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 05:01:47 AM »
Difference is, congresscritters dont have a financial interest in that airframe ;-)

Winner, winner. Stuff like the F-35, new destroyers or whatever sells in multiple districts.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »

It's a scary time to be in the military. They're cutting all the wrong things, IMO. Meanwhile, continued frustration is driving good junior officers and good NCOs from the service, leaving the turds to float to the top.

Ayep. DoD civilian employee budget is exploding, ditto contractors. They're compensating by stripping veteran benefits and cutting combat capacity.

Why they don't gut the paperpusher hierarchy with a chainsaw, I have no idea.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Because the Paper pushers are the one's deciding who to cut.  Such is the tale of armies throughout history.  The [logistical] tail soon wags the dog.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
Ayep. DoD civilian employee budget is exploding, ditto contractors. They're compensating by stripping veteran benefits and cutting combat capacity.

Why they don't gut the paperpusher hierarchy with a chainsaw, I have no idea.

In the previous round of cut & reorg, the Army planned for something similar in the combat units, shucking off lots of HHC green-suiters.  Preserved combat power and all systems at the pointy end.  This round looks to gut quite a bit of capability.  It is almost as if their civvie masters were pissed that some smart officers were able to meet the objectives without losing capability.

Heard a rumor that ALL the remaining ABCTs (equipped with Abrams, Bradley, & other mech warfare gear) were to be pushed into NG.  Because the assumption is that we will not meet a heavy threat.  Think on that.  The only active duty heavies would be USMC Abrams.  The only heavies ready for deployment RFN are the tank platoons in the MEUs.  That is four Abrams.  And not even our best Abrams (USMC fields M1A1).

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
Look at the CIC, he hates the military, he hates that the US is the lone supper power, he hates our freedoms. No wonder he weakening out power and influence.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  Let's hope whatever fills it, is benevolent.

So why does He keep trying to start new wars every 15 minutes  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »
In the previous round of cut & reorg, the Army planned for something similar in the combat units, shucking off lots of HHC green-suiters.  Preserved combat power and all systems at the pointy end.  This round looks to gut quite a bit of capability.  It is almost as if their civvie masters were pissed that some smart officers were able to meet the objectives without losing capability.

Heard a rumor that ALL the remaining ABCTs (equipped with Abrams, Bradley, & other mech warfare gear) were to be pushed into NG.  Because the assumption is that we will not meet a heavy threat.  Think on that.  The only active duty heavies would be USMC Abrams.  The only heavies ready for deployment RFN are the tank platoons in the MEUs.  That is four Abrams.  And not even our best Abrams (USMC fields M1A1).

Similar to the way heavy transport and MP units got shifted to the Guards before Iraq and Afghanistan.

Because the Paper pushers are the one's deciding who to cut.  Such is the tale of armies throughout history.  The [logistical] tail soon wags the dog.

Yep.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

Our elites are CERTAIN we're never fighting another conventional war against a comparable power.

As such, there is no need, whatsoever, to prepare for such a war.

What's that? Something about being prepared for it means you'll never have to fight it? Si vis pacem, para bellum?

Ah... who cares what some old white guy said?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
We always prepare to fight the last war.  Along with the entire "not learning from history" in that every time we've cut waaaaaayyyyy back, someone else build waaaaaaayyyyyy up and then gets cocky.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

If I'm understanding that correctly... That is insane, to put it mildly. ALL armor brigades going to the NG? I think a lot higher of the NG than a lot of folks, but having ZERO active duty armor brigades is nuts. You'd want some for Korea, at a minimum, and a couple more in case of a smaller power losing their marbles. Between this and the DoD betting damn near everything on the F-35, we're going to be in a very rough patch. The only plus side is the Navy is doing well, we have 10 active carriers and two in reserve. 

We'll be in short straights with virtually no heavy armor and restricted fighter airframes across all of the services. Only plus side is that the US is unlikely to be invaded. Canada and Mexico don't exactly have a lot of offensive military capacity.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Yeah, I don't think all the AD Armor/Mech is going away.   They just shipped a battalions worth back to Europe after 2CR got their azzes handed to them in a recent NATO exercise.  Seems that Strykers can't go toe-to-toe with heavy armor.   Who knew?  ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/politics/pentagon-plans-to-shrink-army-to-pre-world-war-ii-level.html?_r=1

The article really annoyed me as it makes this unstated assumption that if we spool down now we would not be able to ramp back up for a large war in the future. Demonstrably false.

If we get hit by a heavyweight actor, it is going to be over in days or weeks.  They still know what war is.
 It will be all in. They will blind us, cripple us and kill us. There will no no ramping up time at all.