Author Topic: Guess we are moving....  (Read 1527 times)

Stetson

• friends
Guess we are moving....
« on: April 06, 2006, 05:50:45 AM »
My wife wants to move to Dallas, ASAP.

So I have some questions.  

What are good places to live and the ones to stay away from?  (No, no job yet but there seems to be some openings there)

I know what the cost of living is supposed to be, but what are grocery prices like, utilities, etc.., in general?

Any employers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance

c):{

TarpleyG

• friend
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 06:39:50 AM »
I grew up in Plano but that was when the population was 80,000 or so.  It's probably 5 times that now but still a nice place.  Look northeast in towns like Wylie, Rowlett, Sachse, etc.  Not sure how built up they are now.  You can also look south west in areas like Grand Prarie.  McKinney is nice but is growing super fast...not my kind of thing.

Greg

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:53:27 AM »
Why don't you come to Lubbock? It's only a 6 hour commute to Big D.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Stetson

• friends
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:09:04 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Why don't you come to Lubbock? It's only a 6 hour commute to Big D.

Brad
Not sure the wife would let me.  She wants to live in either Dallas or Shreveport, LA.  There just arent any jobs in Shreveport.  My dad just moved to Jefferson, near Lake O' The Pines and my wife loved the area when we were through there a few yrs ago, so thats where she picked.

Im from Houston originally but she doesn't want to go there.  Id be happy in E. TX, around Timpson but there are no jobs there either, for what I do either.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:39:42 PM »
Yeah, but unless you run a B&B or an antique store, you can't find work in Jefferson.

Richardson/Plano/Garland  are still ok, for the most part. Frisco is still growing exponentially. Wylie, Sachse, Murphy Rowlett aren't far behind. Several of the folks I work with live in HEB or Grand Prairie/Arlington and points south.  

North is good. Further north is ok, but Allen has some serious property tax issues. Far North Dallas proper isn't bad by any means. You probably want to stay north of Arapaho, though.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stetson

• friends
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:29:16 AM »
Looks like Texas Instruments, in Plano, is hiring.  I recieved a reply to my resume for one of their openings.  Will see how that goes.  

I can run a B&B, I have the experience.  Set up a B&B with a range out back and hire my dad to take people to the good fishing spots....hmmmmm

Art Eatman

• friend
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 05:35:05 AM »
Today's world, I think I'd get somewhere within 10 miles or so of the edge of the metroplex and find a cheap motel.  I'd spend about a week, just driving around, looking at maps and reading the ads for rentals as well as looking into the job market.

Most any cop in your area of interest can tell you what areas to generally avoid...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Stetson

• friends
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:13:51 AM »
Thanks Art.

Anyone want to chime in on the real cost of living?  Utilities, average groceries, etc?  This is my REAL worry.  That the general cost of living may be lower but we are going to get nailed with utility costs and food and such.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:24:43 AM »
If you were to live downtown Dallas, where would one look?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Waitone

• friend
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 02:58:14 PM »
Google up "comparative cost of living".  A number of sites exist.  Prowl around Monster .com for the same kind of info.  Look at a number of different data aggregators.  

http://www.city-data.com/ is pretty good for demographics info
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Guess we are moving....
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein