Author Topic: Tire questions  (Read 1228 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Tire questions
« on: April 07, 2006, 05:57:34 AM »
I'm having a hard time deciding between three tires at Tirerack...

Overall, they're pretty close to each other, but I want some opinions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+V4S&partnum=06VR6V4S&index=3&vIndex=1

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+G+009&partnum=06HR6G009&index=1&vIndex=1

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=HRi&partnum=06HR6HRI&index=2&vIndex=1

The Fuzions are the weakest of the three (not by much), but they're significantly less expensive.  The Yokos look good except for their snow and ice performance.  That's not a huge issue since I have the option of using a 4x4 if snow is bad, but it is a point of comparison.  

They're going on a Toyota Camry.  I need good braking performance in dry and wet (rain) and good curve handling in dry and wet (rain).  My commute is primarily straight and at moderate to slow speeds, but traffic does weird things and I've had to go from 60mph to 0mph quickly and without much warning.  I've also had to swerve to avoid problems.  

Opinions?

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Tire questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »
With the rebate, the Bridgestones are in the same price range as the Fuzions and seem to have the best overall performance. I would go with those. I've always had good luck with Bridgestone/Firestone.

My commute is primarily straight and at moderate to slow speeds, but traffic does weird things and I've had to go from 60mph to 0mph quickly and without much warning.  I've also had to swerve to avoid problems.
Highway 29?

mtnbkr

• friend
Tire questions
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:54:39 AM »
If the discount is available when I purchase tires, then you'll be correct.  However, I'm not sure I'll be buying before this summer.  The Potenzas are my top choice if price isn't a factor.  Price makes the Fuzions a contender.

I66 actually.

Chris

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Tire questions
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:02:47 AM »
Keep your money in the states:  http://www.coopertire.com/  Cheesy
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

mtnbkr

• friend
Tire questions
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 08:09:44 AM »
Erik, I've tried to buy Coopers locally in the past (for my truck).  Local dealers, when you can find them, want as much for Coopers as other, premium, brands.  Not that I'm stuck on brand names, but before I take a risk with something like a tire, I want either a great price or a great reputation.

Using my truck as an example, I was able to find a set of Yokohama Geolander AT tires for less than the Cooper AT tires (4 tires mounted and balanced for $550ish).  If nothing else, the Yokos have an actual reputation offroad AND stores that carry them in stock in the event I need an early replacement.

Chris

crt360

• friend
Tire questions
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
I had a set of the Yoko Avid H4, and really liked them, but they wore pretty fast.
For entertainment purposes only.

...has left the building.

Tire questions
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:37:21 PM »
I think you'll be fine with either of the first two.

Art Eatman

• friend
Tire questions
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 04:09:46 PM »
Whichever has the widest track and the softest compound will give you the best braking and cornering.  As usual, softer compounds wear faster.

See if any of the people who work there know the word "durometer".  That's a measure of tire hardness.  Somewhere there ought to be that information available, for each tire in the product line.

The angles of the sipes look okay.  Me, I just don't like a uni-directional tread, this side of a race car...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.