Author Topic: Primary Elections, and distractions  (Read 1779 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Primary Elections, and distractions
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
The primaries seem to come earlier and earlier.  And the candidate pool becomes broader and broader.

Either that, or I start paying attention earlier and earlier.

I just don't remember such contention during Bubba's 1996 challenge, or the 2000 election (I was 18 in 1996 and 22 in 2000, my first chances to be politically active).

In that light... is Cain an actual contender for the GOP nomination, or merely a distraction for the dems/media to tear apart, so that MittRickRonmeyPerry (a.k.a. "Rudy McRomney") can run with fewer holes in its campaign?

Has the primary process always started 14-16 months before the real election?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Primary Elections, and distractions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:09 AM »
Certain states have been holding their primaries earlier. It's been discussed quite a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_primary#History
Start reading toward the bottom of the history section
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »
The primaries seem to come earlier and earlier.  And the candidate pool becomes broader and broader.

Either that, or I start paying attention earlier and earlier.

I just don't remember such contention during Bubba's 1996 challenge, or the 2000 election (I was 18 in 1996 and 22 in 2000, my first chances to be politically active).

In that light... is Cain an actual contender for the GOP nomination, or merely a distraction for the dems/media to tear apart, so that MittRickRonmeyPerry (a.k.a. "Rudy McRomney") can run with fewer holes in its campaign?

Has the primary process always started 14-16 months before the real election?

First, interesting, we're the same age.

Second, our experiences with primaries have been skewed, the only really contested Republican primary we've seen was the 2008 primary. I was far more politically aware when I was 14 than my contemporaries, and there was a rather wide open primary for the Democrats in 1992. Bill Clinton won that primary because the two big name contenders destroyed each other and he seemed not that bad.

Third, yes, the primaries have begun insanely early because of the stupid tradition of allowing Iowa and New Hampshire to go first. There is absolutely no reason those two states should have that much influence on the picking of EITHER party's nominee, but especially the Republicans should put and end to this foolish process.

For reference, in 1960, the first primary was in mid-March. In 1980, it was in late February. In 2000, it was February 1st. And 2012, it will be early January.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
First, interesting, we're the same age.

Second, our experiences with primaries have been skewed, the only really contested Republican primary we've seen was the 2008 primary.

You guys would put me in the "De Selby" camp back in 1996 and probably 2000 as well.  Didn't pay a lot of attention to either GOP primary, though I understood the significance of the political process and respected it.  I was effectively a closet anti-establishmentarian, masquerading as a Democrat because it seemed to be the anti-establishment party... though it's pretty obvious now that the party I favor is actually whatever party wants to axe entire departments from the goobermint payroll.  That's Libertarian at my current political knowledge level, but in my cupidity when i was younger it was the donkey party.  I'm involved with the GOP to try and change it from within as a PC.

I agree that the GOP should give less than a rat's *expletive deleted*ss about IA and NH.  IA tends to go Dem anyways since farmers are corrupt corporate kleptocrats relying on archaic farm subsidies that corporations now leech off of, and NH (despite its wonderful "live free or die" State motto) is irrelevant in its electoral college count.

The primary system is becoming sports-style wonk entertainment, and big money is flowing into it and "stars" are getting created.  I don't like it at all.

And it's further insulted by the fact that it's the "right thing to do" to pay attention to the political process and be a "good citizen" by participating in the election cycle.

So, in the opinion of the APS body... is Cain an actual contender?  Or just an appetizer, to be chewed up and digested by the sports-style wonk entertainment machine, prior to the main course of the "World Series Superbowl Stanley Cup" of the POTUS election?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
s Cain an actual contender

Yes. They...the Republican Party, the Media, and the Dems are going to do their best to destroy him (or are already in that process). If he can gut it out...he might have a chance.

But I have that sinking feeling that Romney (The Albino Obama) is going to be the darling of the Republicans.

My policy is to support Cain and try to ignore as much of the bullshit circus as possible. I've got more important things to do.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:41:46 AM »
If Cain gets the nomination he beats Obama.  Might see a change with VP in that camp to Clinton to try to hold on.  If Cain isn't the nominee does he get a VP nod?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
You guys would put me in the "De Selby" camp back in 1996 and probably 2000 as well.  Didn't pay a lot of attention to either GOP primary, though I understood the significance of the political process and respected it.  I was effectively a closet anti-establishmentarian, masquerading as a Democrat because it seemed to be the anti-establishment party... though it's pretty obvious now that the party I favor is actually whatever party wants to axe entire departments from the goobermint payroll.  That's Libertarian at my current political knowledge level, but in my cupidity when i was younger it was the donkey party.  I'm involved with the GOP to try and change it from within as a PC.

I agree that the GOP should give less than a rat's *expletive deleted*ss about IA and NH.  IA tends to go Dem anyways since farmers are corrupt corporate kleptocrats relying on archaic farm subsidies that corporations now leech off of, and NH (despite its wonderful "live free or die" State motto) is irrelevant in its electoral college count.

The primary system is becoming sports-style wonk entertainment, and big money is flowing into it and "stars" are getting created.  I don't like it at all.

And it's further insulted by the fact that it's the "right thing to do" to pay attention to the political process and be a "good citizen" by participating in the election cycle.

So, in the opinion of the APS body... is Cain an actual contender?  Or just an appetizer, to be chewed up and digested by the sports-style wonk entertainment machine, prior to the main course of the "World Series Superbowl Stanley Cup" of the POTUS election?

Sexual Harrassment allegations over the weekend, just in time for the monday news cycle.  Nope.  Not a contender. Move along, nothing to see.  The fix isn't in.

:facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Sexual Harrassment allegations over the weekend, just in time for the monday news cycle.  Nope.  Not a contender. Move along, nothing to see.  The fix isn't in.

:facepalm:

Don't be too sure...our current POTUS has shown that one's past (rev. Wright, cocaine, weather underground affiliations, etc) doesn't matter....right?  Oh wait, he was running as a democrat.  Never mind, carry on.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
Don't be too sure...our current POTUS has shown that one's past (rev. Wright, cocaine, weather underground affiliations, etc) doesn't matter....right?  Oh wait, he was running as a democrat.  Never mind, carry on.

We were racist to insinuate otherwise!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
But I have that sinking feeling that Romney (The Albino Obama) is going to be the darling of the Republicans.

Albama?

The Obamanable Snowflake?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »
I wouldn't count out Newt Gingrich either.  Even though his candidacy was pronounced DOA a while back he seems to be creeping up in some polls.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »

The electioning is starting earlier.  Obama was running from essentially the previous Democratic convention until he won. 

I'm older.  But I honestly never paid any attention to the presidential election until I was in my mid-20's to early 30's (about your age), especially the primary.  Unfortunately, I can remember Nixon, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, Gov Wallace, Anderson etc. You were't even born yet.  As you get a little older, you begin to see how things work.  The elections are really important and what candidates are selected is very important.  It is the difference between a ho hum election like the McCain v Obama election or something else.  Most are pretty ho hum.  The Democrats choose a liberal to liberal-moderate candidate and the Republicans choose a moderate who claims to be a conservative.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)