Author Topic: I don't get it. (Cuba policy)  (Read 3972 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: I don't get it. (Cuba policy)
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »
Ok, what have they done for us since Obama opened things up.  What baby step did they make in our direction??

Obama certainly didn't open up much, he couldn't.  Most of the ban is congressionally mandated, by law.  And it hasn't even been 3 years yet.
 Remember, I said that it would take time to build up the trade to have influence.  I was thinking in terms of decades for that.

Obama's opening is tiny:
1.  Reopening American Embassy in Cuba (Not an economic move)
2.  Licensed travel.  To get a license travelers have to have a specific reason on a list to go to Cuba, and "tourism" isn't on the list.  I also remember reading that licenses were hard to get.
3.  Cuban Cigars, up to $100(combined with any alcohol products) from "licensed" US travelers. 

Not a lot there...  #3 would explain the declining cachet for cuban cigars though.  They had value as forbidden fruit, mostly.

Not a lot of information about the last 3 years.  Last major reform was actually in 2011:
In 2011, "The new economic reforms were introduced, effectively creating a new economic system, referred by some as the "New Cuban Economy"[46][47][48] Since then, over four hundred thousand Cubans have signed up to be entrepreneurs. As of 2012, the government lists 181 official jobs no longer under their control—such as taxi driver, construction worker and shopkeeper. Workers may purchase licenses to work as a mule driver, palm tree trimmer, well-digger, button covered and "dandy"—gentleman in traditional elegant white suit and hat.[49] Despite these openings Cuba maintains nationalized companies for the distribution of all essential amenities (water, power, ...) and other essential services to ensure a healthy population (education, health care).

The biggest was that they legalized the sale and private ownership of homes and cars. 

I'd consider that a good 'baby step'. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »
And didn't require us doing a thing.  In fact happen long before we did anything.

And given your time line of "decades", all we have to do is wait them out.

P.S.  Regarding Cuban Sugar being cheap enough to still be less under the US tariff.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

"Are you going to buy that slave trade sugar ??" 

"Starbucks* insists on Fair-Trade Coffee, but buys Cuban Slave Trade Sugar !!"

*- or pick any major consumer/packager of Sugar.  All it will take is a couple of stories done by some investigative reporterettes showing how Cuban Sugar comes from the sweat of slaves and kiss it goodbye...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »
And didn't require us doing a thing.  In fact happen long before we did anything.

Not that long, really.  And we're getting baby steps now, why not encourage them?

So why should we continue spending resources and wasting trade opportunities to punish some oligarchs that are mostly the descendants of those we were mad at, hurting the common people far more than the oligarchy?

I'm not advocating giving them money.  Just allowing trade, tourism, and whatnot.

And given your time line of "decades", all we have to do is wait them out.

So we should continue cutting our nose off for how many decades over what, precisely?

P.S.  Regarding Cuban Sugar being cheap enough to still be less under the US tariff....

rofls aren't actually an argument though.  Well, argument through incredulity, which is a fallacy.

"Are you going to buy that slave trade sugar ??" 

Maybe not starbucks, but what about all the little places?

*- or pick any major consumer/packager of Sugar.  All it will take is a couple of stories done by some investigative reporterettes showing how Cuban Sugar comes from the sweat of slaves and kiss it goodbye...

And until that happens they reap the sweet profit.