Author Topic: Olympia has "found" a "solution" to their homeless RV problem  (Read 1724 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
You can now encamp an RV for free indefinitely on public streets in Olympia, WA
The city will even take care of your sewage and provide port-a-potties and dumpsters

Watch the video  :O

Olympia the first to permit free RV encampment parking on public street
https://www.q13fox.com/news/olympia-the-first-to-permit-free-rv-encampment-parking-on-public-street

If you can’t enforce the law – grant permission? Olympia, WA issues permits for free RV parking on public streets
https://twitchy.com/foundersgirl-313133/2022/05/28/if-you-cant-enforce-the-law-grant-permission-olympia-wa-issues-permits-for-free-rv-parking-on-public-street/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:51:13 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Olympia has "found" a "solution" to their homeless RV problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 09:28:20 PM »
So will there be a movement to eliminate property taxes, too?

Looks like this is another aspect of the income redistribution philosophy. <<<

E.g., I'll never understand why there are so many more Social Security/ Medicare/ Medicaid benefits if your zip code is 80212 (Denver) instead of 80401 (Golden).

Terry, "Income redistribution watchdog," 230RN
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:43:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:38:06 PM »
I have never owned or rented an RV.

The permitted parkers can have their sewage tanks pumped out by the city once a month. There will be multiple port-a-potties and dumpsters along the road.

Is once a month often enough if you're living in the RV full-time?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:41:40 PM »
^ Who said any rational thinking was used in the decision?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 09:47:51 PM »
Are the RV's parking along public streets near parks and public buildings on in neighborhoods?  Or both? 

No system will work unless the enforce it strictly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »
I have never owned or rented an RV.

Is once a month often enough if you're living in the RV full-time?

No idea.   

Let it drain, then drive to a new spot.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 10:12:02 PM »
What do you think will be the result of this?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 10:33:35 PM »
Maybe the RVs will relocate from Seattle to Olympia.  Who am I kidding?  Seattle will try to one-up them by enacting the most generous RV on public street legislation in the country.

Forgive my cynicism but I visited my old office in North Lake Union this past week.  There had to have been 20 RVs taking up all of the street parking in front of the building.  All of them were in poor shape, covered in graffiti, and surrounded by trash.  Several of them had been tagged with Antifa symbols.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 12:47:03 AM »
There's a guy around here who shows up every so often in our neighborhood, then disappears. Apparently as long as he moves every 48h they can't do much. With the price of housing and property taxes around here it's hard for me to fault the guy too much. I could save a lot of money if I were single by doing the same thing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 07:51:26 AM »
So will there be a movement to eliminate property taxes, too?

Looks like this is another aspect of the income redistribution philosophy. <<<

E.g., I'll never understand why there are so many more Social Security/ Medicare/ Medicaid benefits if your zip code is 80212 (Denver) instead of 80401 (Golden).

Terry, "Income redistribution watchdog," 230RN

My father in law, the only one of his siblings who made something of himself, had his brother and sister decide to leave California and move out here to SC. They stayed a few weeks then decided to move back to Cali because the welfare was much higher there than it is here.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 08:20:47 AM »
Democrats - Turning America into a 3rd World *expletive deleted*it hole one city at a time
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
Why do I suspect that there is going to be a LOT of sewage "spills" into storm water drains...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 10:31:10 AM »
Why do I suspect that there is going to be a LOT of sewage "spills" into storm water drains...

Hell they will probably just open the dump valves and let it flow on the street without bothering to dump right into the drains.

I’ve dealt with them coming into campsites, squatting on the sites or paying for one night  and doing it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »
Hell they will probably just open the dump valves and let it flow on the street without bothering to dump right into the drains.

I’ve dealt with them coming into campsites, squatting on the sites or paying for one night  and doing it.

Hmmmm, Smells like San Francisco
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »
Regarding "small town life."

If you live in the county seat, you're more likely to have welfare-dependent folks as your neighbors (or at least nearby). They go to where the "services" are.

Some of them will milk EVERYTHING possible too...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »
Rusty vans, beat up pickups with camper shells, dilapidated old school busses . . . as long as they run most of the time (long enough to distance themselves from the effluent they just drained on the street) they'll be called "RVs" and will make their way to Olympia for the freebies.

"If you gift them, they will come."

Up next: Olympia voter registration drives for people living in RVs on Olympia's streets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 01:30:55 PM »
So is there a class action suit for when everyone's property values tank? Or pool your neighbors and figure out how to force a buyout on the street. Private street!

If they park on a grade let the gas run for about ten minutes before you light it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 02:52:39 PM »
there was a guy in Portland buying up rundown cheap rv's that do not have anything working, and renting them out to street people and actually making a profit.
it is not great to live like that, but I bet it beats the heck out of a tent or no shelter at all.
when I "lived" in my pickup truck I did my level best to stay far away from people, homes, neighborhoods .
I'm unusual in that demographic in that I do not drink or smoke or use any illegal or legal except tea and ibuprofen ....

imo there really needs to be some kind of place that someone who is working and cannot afford an apt can "camp" safely and legally.
govt exacerbates the problem with welfare and homeless shelters , people that really need to be in mental institutions   and scammers/criminals live in so called "low income housing" and it is very difficult to be their neighbors if you have a job because they're always screaming/fighting and criminal activity - but often its all one can afford on a low budget.
The gov't puts the "no income" people there and they make life/sleeping impossible for working low income people
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »

Good point.

Sounds like a premier program for San Francisco, then. They can use the liquid *expletive deleted*it in the holding tanks to wash the solid *expletive deleted*it and used needles off the streets.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 07:32:56 AM »
I have to wonder what the truck stops in the area are like... Most are just folks in the business, but I'd see a few folks every so often who appeared to be crashing for a few nights until they could get into a roof... I was in one at Daytona for a couple of days before the race, and that place turned into wall-to-wall affluent RV parking...

There was a camp near me set up on some railroad right-of-way... The railroad people do NOT like that, and have cleared it.
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 12:20:45 PM »
Maybe it is preaching to the quire, but it seems to me they ought to look at their zoning and building permit rules to see about making it easier to build or modify structures into apartments.  That might reduce the costs of housing.  That might require changes at the state level.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »
"Maybe it is preaching to the quire..."

Well look at Mech getting all Renaissance man on our asses...

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »
Maybe it is preaching to the quire, but it seems to me they ought to look at their zoning and building permit rules to see about making it easier to build or modify structures into apartments.  That might reduce the costs of housing.  That might require changes at the state level.

There is quite the ongoing debate for some time now on rezoning existing single-family neighborhoods to multi-family neighborhoods to provide for more affordable housing in Seattle.  Suffice it to say that NIMBY seems to be the order of the day.  If you own your nice $ 1.2 million Craftsman bungalow in Ballard, you don't want the house next door torn down for a three story 12 unit apartment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.