Author Topic: On Gun Deaths  (Read 969 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Gun Deaths
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
I wish they would have checked their grammar and punctuation, but I think the numbers are right:

http://twitchy.com/2016/01/08/the-next-time-someone-says-america-has-a-gun-problem-show-them-this-meme/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: On Gun Deaths
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
If they suggest that suicides would drop without access to guns, point them towards the stats for Japan.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
America DOES NOT have a gun problem.

I have a gun problem.

I can't afford to buy all the guns I want.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
First of all, their math is all screwed up. Secondly, why do they, apparently, dismiss accidental shootings as not a gun problem? Those are the kinds of "gun deaths" most likely to be prevented by gun control. Thirdly, while gangs are obviously more of a problem than guns (because guns are a solution; not a problem), their advice to "not hang out in the hood," sounds a little bit like that Baltimore newspaper columnist from the other day. Some people live and/or work in bad neighborhoods, and find it hard to relocate. So that part comes off a little flip.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
First of all, their math is all screwed up. Secondly, why do they, apparently, dismiss accidental shootings as not a gun problem? Those are the kinds of "gun deaths" most likely to be prevented by gun control. Thirdly, while gangs are obviously more of a problem than guns (because guns are a solution; not a problem), their advice to "not hang out in the hood," sounds a little bit like that Baltimore newspaper columnist from the other day. Some people live and/or work in bad neighborhoods, and find it hard to relocate. So that part comes off a little flip.

I HATE YOU AND YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
I wish they would have checked their grammar and punctuation, but I think the numbers are right:

Their numbers are NOT right.

Closest I can get to their number is 2112, that's subtracting gang homicides from the total homicide, so supposedly looking only at murders not involving gangs.  Thing is, people in gangs sometimes kill people who are otherwise non-gang related, which is still 'gang related' because the killer is in one.

Well, I can get to 1792 by adding accidents in(3072), then subtracting the 'justified' column with the idea that they're mostly shooting gang-bangers, and for some reason it's included in the homicide rate.

As for the percentage rate, 1712/312M = .00055%, not what they have.  Adding non-gang homicide and accidents(3072), I get 0.00098%, or 0.98 deaths a year per 100k.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
A gun death is a very sad thing to see. All the ones I've witnessed were either due to serious operator error, a bad reload or prolonged neglect.
A dead gun is truly heart wrenching.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
A gun death is a very sad thing to see. All the ones I've witnessed were either due to serious operator error, a bad reload or prolonged neglect.
A dead gun is truly heart wrenching.

Winning!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife