Author Topic: Download software  (Read 915 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Download software
« on: April 07, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »
Okay, I want a particular software program but I don't know if it exists...

I want it to do this. When you run it, I want it to test all of the links found on the active window of your Internet browser. I want it then to take the links which lead to particular formats (such as mp3, .pdf, etc.) {I pre-set what formats it's supposed to download when it before it checks the links. If it finds what I want it automatically downloads it.} and downloads all the documents (to a folder I assign it to do) that are 'behind' those links.

Am I making myself clear? I'm dead tired; it's the middle of the night here, but I thought I post this.  Has anyone ever heard of any software that does this? Is it even possible to do this?
Andy

Download software
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »
I wish I could help you more, but I know this is possible, its been a *long* time since I used such a thing but I am sure they are still out there. I used to use one to troll for MP3s overnight over a dialup connection. This was back when MP3s were new and i cannot even remember the name of the program, nor even what the family of utilities was called.

So yeah, all I have managed to do is tell you that what your looking for is probably out there somewhere but you may never find it, sorry.

spinr

Download software
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:18:25 PM »
Don't know if you use Mozilla, but there are a couple of Firefox extensions that seem to do something similar to what you want.

See here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1993/

Smiley

cosine

• Administrator
Download software
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:13:31 AM »
Yeah, I use Firefox sometimes, but never looked into their addons. DownloadTHEMall looks like it might just be what I'n looking for. I'm going to play around with it over the next couple of days and see how I like it.

Thanks.
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
Download software
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 06:31:51 AM »
Wow, I've only been playing around with it for 10 or 15 minutes, and it is getting better by the minute. You can customize almost anything. (It didn't come with pre-set filters for .pdf or.mp3, but it only took a minute to make them.) Really awesome. Now, with one click, I can select all the .mp3s or .pdf files on a web page, select a folder, and it downloads and saves them were I want. Only a couple of clicks!

Man, am I excited or what?

This looks like it is exactly what I wanted.

(Well, one more thing - Is there some software that works like downloadTHEMall except that it will, in the background, open all the links on a web page to go one page deeper to look for the type of file you want it to download?)
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
Download software
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:57:20 PM »
All right, I ran that Firefox add-on almost all day yesterday and all night too. It's pretty cool.

(Man, I'm still way excited about it. That must be why I keep posting the same thing over and over. Cheesy)
Andy