Author Topic: New laptop arrived yesterday...  (Read 701 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
New laptop arrived yesterday...
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »
The laptop I mentioned here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?pid=42741#p42741
arrived yesterday.  After removing the junk and/or demo software and installing the few extra apps my wife would need (OpenOffice, Irfanview, AdAware, etc), we're good to go.  I reset XP to have the same look/feel of Win2k, so it more closely matches our desktop.  

The only weakness is the wimpy battery.  We'll get about 1.5hrs out of it while on wireless.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
What do you expect for $512?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
What does irfanview do?  I've heard so many folks talk about that as one of the programs they can't do without, but I swear I had no idea it was something I couldn't live without! haha

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »
Irfanview is a lite graphics editing and viewing program.  It's freeware, but I bought a license since I got so much use out of it over the past decade or so.  

FWIW, I saw a similarly speced Gateway at Best Buy today that had everything but the 1gig of RAM (had 256mb).  It was $549, or about $27 more than I paid after shipping.

Chris