Author Topic: Do we need "respectable" news anchors?  (Read 837 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Do we need "respectable" news anchors?
« on: April 08, 2006, 10:14:19 AM »
I was really not expecting Katie Couric to replace Dan Rather.  I thought big-time, Network anchors were supposed to be seen as serious, credible journalists, "the most trusted man in America" and all that.  Couric may have some journalistic chops, but her reputation is one of perkiness, not gravitas.  

So has CBS just realized that no one falls for the fake credibility anymore?  Or is just that no one's watching?  Or does CBS just want kudos for having the first big-time, stand-alone, anchor chick?

Perhaps all of this is off-base, though, as I have not had television for most of my life, and don't have it now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
I haven't watched the network news for about five years.  I haven't even had a TV for almost a year now.  I don't know of many people from my generation who watch the nightly news on a regular basis, since it's easier and faster to just get on the web for information.

I think the system of daily papers and nightly news is collapsing.  $5 says it won't be around at all in 10 years.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 11:09:24 AM »
We don't really need news anchors at all. I get most of my news by reading the L&P forums at TFL and THR, and Google news every once in a while.

With the advent of the blog age and web searching, big name news companies are getting a run for their money.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
At least our British cousins call 'em what they are.  "News Readers"  No muss, no fuss, no pretense.  Just eyecandy reading the news.

BTW, I suspect Katie is the last gasp for a dying format.  The question will be what kills off the program faster:  her hard left prejudices or market demographics.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Azrael256
I think the system of daily papers and nightly news is collapsing.  $5 says it won't be around at all in 10 years.
Hey, that's the same thought that occupies half of Rush Limbaugh's radio show.  He loves to report the latest downsizing at a media company or bad economic news for "the drive-by media."

I haven't even had a TV for almost a year now.
Good for you; time is better wasted on the internet, and I mean that sincerely.  Television just isn't worth the time or the money.  I've been in a lot of run-down houses owned by people just scraping by, but there's always a nice, big TV with a DVD, VCR or cable along with it.  My TV is an old, pre-remote, wood-cabinet model that someone gave us, and the VCR was free too.  There is no antenna, cable or anything else bringing in programming.  

[life story] My folks had an old TV like that, but it broke when I was about four.  We did without one, until a few years later someone gave us a new, 13" B&W.  My dad always thought the rest of the family watched it too much, and one day I wimped out of doing some yard work on a hot summer day.  When my dad found out, the TV went into the attic, never to come out again, until we eventually sold it.  My folks got a TV and VCR when I went to college.  In the twelve years since, I've had TV off and on.  My wife had foregone TV at the time I met her, and we will definitely will not have it when kids come along.  [/life story]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:05:20 PM »
At least our British cousins call 'em what they are.  "News Readers"
Unfortunately, I think ours are "news interpreters," or perhaps "news spinners."