Author Topic: The car gods hate me  (Read 1134 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
The car gods hate me
« on: April 10, 2006, 05:38:03 AM »
I drove a POS Altima for 3 years and never got dinged in the parking lot (that I noticed).  I've had my shiny and nice Camry for 2 weeks and already I've had something tossed up by the rear tire gouge the plastic bumper where it blends into the wheelwell.  If that wasn't bad enough, something hit the rear of the trunklid, causing a 4"x3" dent.  The paint isn't damaged and the dent is pretty shallow, but wtf?  Can't I keep a nice car for at least a couple months?  

I can probably use a dab of filler and some touch up paint to fix the plastic gouge.  If I can get the interior trim off, I can probably use a rubber mallet to bang out the dent.  I shouldn't have to do either. angry

Chris

...has left the building.

The car gods hate me
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 05:57:00 AM »
I know how you feel. I had driven my M3 on an 160 mile roundtrip daily commute for months...when I quit my job I was thinking to myself, "I'm glad I can save the wear, tear, and risk on my M3." Literally the next day after I quit some soccermom on her cellphone backed into me in a Target parking lot.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The car gods hate me
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 06:25:37 AM »
New cars attract scrapes and dents. It's a known fact. I think Einstein proved it. Once it has a couple it'll stop.

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 06:37:36 AM »
Yeah, I know.  A year from now and I wouldn't have cared, but I just got the darn car, I still care enough to wash AND wax it.

Chris

SpookyPistolero

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:22:20 AM »
I feel your pain. Can't have nuthin nice! When I had finally gotten a vehicle I loved and adored, that was actually reliable for a change, Old Man River in his camry decided to cross three lanes of traffic from a stop in a left turn line, right into me. Way to total that one.

Now I've got something way better, actually, which is virtually a new vehicle (new brakes, radiator, ac lines, trans. lines, body work, new paint, new glass). If anyone touches it, I will hunt them for sport.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

crt360

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
It's the karma.  That good deal you got on the Camry had to be offset somewhere in the cosmic balance.  Expect more.

My car is a rolling door ding.  When it was new, some Suburban driver who didn't look where they were driving backed into the driver side door.  While it was in the shop getting repaired, a light fixture fell from the ceiling of the garage and smashed my roof in.  I was at a stop sign once when a lady who had just crossed the intersection put her car in reverse and backed back across the intersection and into my front bumper.  I was rearended at a stoplight by a neighbor who was yelling at her kid in the back seat.  I think her license plate number is still visible in my rear bumper.  My car got hailed on so badly that even the rubber coated window frames have little dents in them.  A couple of years ago someone sideswiped the passenger door while my car was parked.  I still haven't had that repaired.  I have a large shopping cart dent in the front right quarter panel.  Just a week or so ago, some jackass at HEB took out my right rear tail light cover with the door of his new Dodge truck.  I'm sure there is a grand finale of destruction somewhere in this car's future and hope I'm not present when it occurs.

With my luck, it would be a waste of money for me to buy a "new" car.
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The car gods hate me
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »
Excellent. Your daughter is channeling some of the agression she normally directs at me into the family car...

I had a POS Plymouth Sundance, which I bought new in 1991.

I didn't have a door ding on that thing until I went to work at Navy Federal Credit Union in 1994. Within a couple of months I had at least 6.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Twycross

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »
New cars attract scrapes and dents. It's a known fact. I think Einstein proved it. Once it has a couple it'll stop.
I wish that last part were true. I rolled my Nissan Pathfinder right after I got it (not my fault), so a good deal of it is covered in bondo. Just a few weeks ago, I tore my bumper up in a fenderbender (my fault Sad). It just keeps accumulating imperfections. Runs fine, though.

Standing Wolf

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »
I drove a brand new Honda three days before a fat woman erupted from the back seat of a rust bucket Ford and dinged it.

I had my current car about three weeks before some !@#$%^&*! smashed off the driver's mirror to the tune of $350, and another couple months before another crunched the entire left side.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

mfree

• friend
The car gods hate me
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 06:31:20 PM »
Hrmm, I bought a brand new Daewoo Leganza in 2002. Within the year:

1. In blinding rain, I backed into a flat black (grumble) hotel sign that was located in a parking space (grumblegrumble) hard enough to stove it in 6" and leave a permantent crease in my bumper (Augh!).

2. Some 90 year old man rear-ends me at a stop light just hard enough to leave the dust-print of his license plate frame.

3. Some brilliant individual hits me in the rear passenger door hard enough to break the trim and leave a dent, and disappears.

4. My ex-fiancee's "new" old truck pops out of gear, rolls downhill with the steering unlocked, backwards, the steering rolls to the right and the truck swerves back up hill and backs into the passenger side tire well hard enugh to shove the car sideways nearly a foot in the gravel driveway. One small dent and some cracked paint, and she got a completely pretzeled bumper and a taillamp explosion (red bits flung so far we're still finding them 4 years later).

After that, it stopped.

Then I totalled it last february.

Nothing like that has ever happened with my junkers Smiley