Author Topic: OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!  (Read 14784 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
The news people keep telling me that the most important issue in the news is the OUTRAGE over the AIG bonuses.  I call B.S.  Anybody seeing this outrage out there?  It seems to me that the Dem.'s (both the politicians and the media) are trying to manufacture outrage about this non-issue. 

But then, I don't know what the common man is thinking anymore.  Lately, I avoid him as much as possible. 

Rush Limbaugh was right again.  He was the only one who seemed to care, back in the fall, that the TARP bill contained absolutely no oversight.  Obama, Pelosi, et al. have no right to complain.  They are the ones to blame. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:03:17 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »
Bread and circuses.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
More disgust than outrage here. I'm more outraged by things our government is doing these days than I am at a (mostly) private firm.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »
DIsgust, but AIG is under a contractual obligation to pay those bonuses, so I really cant be that upset.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
The Democrats and TARP giveaways are little different from Republicans and no-bid contracts in Iraq:  honest politicians who, having been bought, stay bought.  Just business as usual.  Much of the so-called outrage is merely the recreational hysterics enjoying themselves with the same old familiar strokes.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »
Just more of the circus. Republicans. Democrats. Who cares- after awhile, all the clowns look the same.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
DIsgust, but AIG is under a contractual obligation to pay those bonuses, so I really cant be that upset.

Yeah, once I heard that it was part of their contracts that changed my opinion. I don't really consider anything in a contract to be a "bonus" (maybe I'm alone in that?) so I thought that calling them bonuses in the first place was kind of misleading. If it's part of their contract they definitely should be paid.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »
Yeah, once I heard that it was part of their contracts that changed my opinion. I don't really consider anything in a contract to be a "bonus" (maybe I'm alone in that?) so I thought that calling them bonuses in the first place was kind of misleading. If it's part of their contract they definitely should be paid.

Lack of oversight in TARP; if they wanted the execs to not receive their contractual pay they should have made that a provision of funding them. Bread and circuses folks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
As I just heard pointed out, these bonuses have been well know for a while.  Suddenly, when the payments are being made, the administration suddenly fakes all this outrage with the media. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »
I like how they are going to try and recover some of the bonuses.  Sure, let's spend a ton of money to recover money from people who appear to be legally entitled to it.  And, God forbid, you fight and keep the money, bet the IRS is going to crawl up your anus and look for the slightest violation.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 01:21:44 PM »
As I just heard pointed out, these bonuses have been well know for a while.  Suddenly, when the payments are being made, the administration suddenly fakes all this outrage with the media. 

I'm now hearing that Senator Dodd (D-Somewhere) added an amendment to the Porkulus bill, to ensure that, even if salaries were capped, there would be no limit on bonuses.  And just now, he suggested that the AIG bonuses might be taxed at 90%. 

grey54956

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
The bonuses paid are legal.

AIG did nothing to hide the bonuses when they took the money.

Senators are now trying to introduce legislation to tax the bonuses away to recover the money.

Wow.  That's just great.  Apparently, we have reached the point where the gov't can tax things, legal or otherwise, because they don't like it or don't agree with it. 

We have crossed the line from being a nation of laws to a nation of men.

Gentlemen, Tyranny has arrived.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Does that mean it's time for a revolution/civil war?  :rolleyes:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
Does that mean it's time for a revolution/civil war?  :rolleyes:

No time to increase the tea-bagging efforts.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
Ok, then can we have a civil war?   =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
Ok, then can we have a civil war?   =D

Do I have to wear pants?

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 02:35:10 PM »
Do I have to wear pants?
Yes, unless your ancestry leads you to the British Isles.

Then you can wear these bad boys-

Camo
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Pants optional.

But don't you dare move that line you drew in the sand, again.   =D

wquay

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »
I don't see how you can blame Obama for TARP.

TARP was a result of Paulson and Bernanke telling Congress that the economy as we know it would cease to exist without federal intervention. Not surprisingly, congress capitulated. Of the over $150 billion given to AIG, over $10 billion was paid to Goldman Sachs, Paulson's former firm.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
Pants optional.

But don't you dare move that line you drew in the sand, again.   =D

I just moved it closer to my computer desk so I can blog hide about from it from a safe location.

Uranus is a gas giant.

wquay

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »
The bonuses paid are legal.

AIG did nothing to hide the bonuses when they took the money.

Senators are now trying to introduce legislation to tax the bonuses away to recover the money.

Wow.  That's just great.  Apparently, we have reached the point where the gov't can tax things, legal or otherwise, because they don't like it or don't agree with it. 

We have crossed the line from being a nation of laws to a nation of men.

Gentlemen, Tyranny has arrived.

You've apparently never heard of the cigarette tax, the NFA tax stamp, IRS rulings that are applied retroactively, or the period in US history when the top income tax rate reached 94% just to "soak the rich."

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »
I do not feel outraged.

I do not know how to describe the feeling that I feel about this.  It is that familiar feeling you get when you watch a young kid bat a ball against a wall, only to watch it hit him in the face.  Or when you watch a dare-devil try to jump a semi-trailer, only to fall 30 feet short and end up sliding under it at 95 mph.  The feeling that is accompanied by mumbling to yourself "Well what the hell did you think was going to happen??"

If you give a failing company money, to keep afloat, and they piss it away in bonuses (contractural or not, though the contractural ones would have been evaporated in a bankruptcy proceeding), all I can wonder is 'What the hell did they expect to happen?'  You told this company they are too big and too important to fail, so what possible reason do they have for not failing?  They can just keep spending like wild knowing the government is going to keep feeding them cash.

If my boss said I was too important to lose, and gave me a $1,000,000 retainer fee.  I would probably start working 3 hour days in boxer shorts and doing the minimal to get by.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:11 PM »
I don't see how you can blame Obama for TARP.

TARP was a result of Paulson and Bernanke telling Congress that the economy as we know it would cease to exist without federal intervention. Not surprisingly, congress capitulated. Of the over $150 billion given to AIG, over $10 billion was paid to Goldman Sachs, Paulson's former firm. 

I didn't say Obama was solely to blame.  Bush and McCain backed it, but so did Obama.  And pardon me, but I will never forget Nancy Pelosi saying that representatives who rejected TARP were unpatriotic.  This is shortly after her own party invented the rule that you can never, ever, ever, ever, ever question anyone's patriotism.

Anyhoo, since Obama and his friends are the ones currently whining about the situation that they helped to create... 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:43:34 PM by Mr. Tactical pants »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
What is even more "funny" a lot of these guys took their bonuses and ran.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
Also, it is on the radio today that the one Congressman Dodd-D is the one who put in the loophole saying bonuses would not be affected by the CEO pay limits tacked on to that bill.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge