Author Topic: Need a new watch  (Read 9075 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Need a new watch
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
I was just looking at the watch. If it was radium it must be dead becuase it doesn't glow in the dark. Plus, it makes this strange noise which sounds something like, "Tick tock tick tock tick tock,,,etc". Wonder what that is? ~90 yo watch, still works. Also has this other strange writings, "Made in USA" I wonder what that means too.

;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
How are the S&W watches, do they last? 

I've had mine for 5-6 years now.  Obviously the Tritium has lost some of its shine but the watch still works.

Of course, I live a pretty docile life.  I don't ever put it through anything more rough than an office job.  When I actually do wear a watch while doing real work, or working out, it's a cheap-o Timex Ironman for me.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
S&W watches use the same inner workings as Traser and Luminox, with a different facility for assembling these Swiss-made parts. Anecdotally, QC seems lower than the other two brands - but if it works fine the first few days, it ought to work for years.

Oh. This is an awesome watch. If you have multiple $K to spare, go with it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:40:28 PM by Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »
If you're going with Doxa, go all the way to 5000 ft.  =D
http://www.doxawatches.com/sub5000t_professional.htm

Apparently my O-rings would fail before it does.
I've been to slightly in excess of 1200 feet but that was inside the people tank.

As for Tritium, during my days in the above mentioned people tank tritium was considered bad, as in OMG!! we are all going to freaking die horribly!!! bad if the tritium detector in the aft end of the torpedo room went off.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:07:27 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
A lot of good information. Thanks, all. I'm torn between some of the functional options presented and something dressier. I may end up with two watches, a knockaround and something decorative for coat and tie days.

As a somewhat silly aside, I'll turn 40 in a couple of weeks, and this watch purchase is feeling like a symbol of some life transition. Part of why the decision is more complex than it should be. That and I'm indecisive, being paralyzed by too many choices.  =(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
As a somewhat silly aside, I'll turn 40 in a couple of weeks, and this watch purchase is feeling like a symbol of some life transition. Part of why the decision is more complex than it should be. That and I'm indecisive, being paralyzed by too many choices.  =(

Yeah, old folks are like that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
I do not understand watches costing more than, say, 50 bucks. Maybe if I were deep-sea diving, or whatever...
I think it depends on if you want 1) a nicer looking watch, and/or 2) a watch that lasts more than a year.  I think the more expensive watches are also tougher and more scratch resistant depending on what you get.  I've had cheap watches before and they never lasted any significant time.  I've had them that were supposed to be water proof and died after the first swim.  My Seiko has lasted a couple years no and shows no signs of stopping.  I have heard the batteries in the Kinetics only last several years though.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
OK, bouncing this back since I've almost made up my mind to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8120-56E-Eco-Drive-Corso-Titanium/dp/B0007IR4U4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Feedback on Citizen generally and the Eco-Drive in particular appreciated.

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
I like the 1st complaint against it in the only one star review: "The date/time setting was wrong when we got the watch."

Well, you don't say!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
I have a stainless 300 meter Eco-Drive diver that has never given me a lick of trouble for the eight or so years I have owned it.  I think it cost me $ 175 or so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.