Author Topic: Premises  (Read 819 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Premises
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
Mentioned my admiration for Silent Cal today in an off hand comment at work.  Another guy more or less launched into me that somehow Coolidge was primarily responsible for the Great Depression, and the FDR "saved" the country from Conservative disaster.  Deregulation being the worst of all possible sins.

:rofl:

Had to shut off the debate because I could tell it wasn't ever going to go anywhere, and I really didn't want to get in trouble with HR.  His premises are just so different from mine that changing of minds was not going to happen.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Premises
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
Hell, I realized I was confusing him with Taft.  I thought most used to blame Hoover. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:24:50 PM »
He thought Hoover was an improvement over Coolidge.  He's obviously enamored with Keynesian economics. 

'Course this also the guy that wanted the fed.gov to forcibly shut down all health insurance companies and institute "single payer" "healthcare" since it works so well elsewhere.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »

'Course this also the guy that wanted the fed.gov to forcibly shut down all health insurance companies and institute "single payer" "healthcare" since it works so well elsewhere.

The simple answer to that is two letters:  "VA".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
His premises are just so different from mine that changing of minds was not going to happen.

The interwebz enables us to choose our own bubble.  It's jarring to encounter the "differently epistemologized".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
Cal is my ideal for an American President.

"When you see ten problems rolling down the road, if you don't do anything, nine of them will roll into a ditch before they get to you."
----Calvin Coolidge

"It is more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones"
----Calvin Coolidge

"They criticize me for harping on the obvious; if all the folks in the United States would do the few simple things they know they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves."
----Calvin Coolidge

"The people cannot look to legislation generally for success. Industry, thrift, character, are not conferred by act or resolve. Government cannot relieve from toil. It can provide no substitute for the rewards of service. It can, of course, care for the defective and recognize distinguished merit. The normal must care for themselves. Self-government means self-support."
----Calvin Coolidge

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:28 AM »
His was also the last administration that meaningfully reduced the size and scope of the fed.gov.  I don't count reduction in the fed.gov after things like WWII since wars are special cases of massive increases in spending during the conflict followed by massive reductions in spending when it's over.

He cut federal taxes too.  And was still able to pay off about 25% of the national debt in the 6 years or so that he served as POTUS.
Formerly sumpnz